Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Song of Kali
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Song of Kali was Dan Simmons's first published book (prior to it he had only short stories published) and he started out with a bang, winning the World Fantasy Award for this 1985 novel. here is a bit of a taste from the prologue:
Quote:Some places are too evil to be allowed to exist. Some cities are too wicked to be suffered. Calcutta is such a place. before Calcutta I would have laughed at such an idea. Before Calcutta I did not believe in evil - certainly not as a force separate from the actions of men. Before Calcutta I was a fool. After the Romans has conquered the city of Carthage, they killed the men, sold the women and children into slavery, pulled down the great buildings, broke up the stones, burned the rubble, and salted the earth so that nothing would ever grow there again. That is not enough for Calcutta. Calcutta should be expunged. Before Calcutta I took part in marches against nucler weapons. Now I dream of nuclear mushroom clouds rising above a city...:"> Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Song of Kali
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Now THAT'S intense! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:55 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:44 am 
Lady Scryer

I finished reading Song of Kali today (the one advantage in being sick is the ability to get some reading done), and it really is an intense book.
It tells the story of Bob Luczak, a poet and scholar from New England who gets the oppotunity to travel to India to write articles for two magazines about an Indian poet who had been missing for eight years and who had been believed dead. Bob decides to take along his Indian born wife, Amrita, a mathmetician and scholar herself, and their lovely baby daughter Victoria, very much against the advice of one of his best friends, the editor of one of the magazines.
While in the city of Calcutta, Bob tries to track down the missing poet, and finds all sorts of clues pointing to an ancient and suppressed cult of Kali, the death goddess - a cult that still practices human sacrifice...
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:56 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:58 am 
Lady Scryer

According to Simmons's website, there are movie negotiations going on for this book. I wonder if they could even capture the extreme creepiness of the atmosphere in a movie?
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>