Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Fall of Hyperion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:57 am 
Master Pilot

Well I couldn't find the trade paperback 2 A Storm of Swords, but The Fall of Hyperion caught my eye, and I bought it. Couldn't wait 4 u guys 2 start Lord of Light (but I will read it w/y'all, whenever ur ready). So Fall is what I mainly b reading now...$25 4 a book carumba! I did read 3 pages in2 the prolouge of ASOS--so I do kno what I'm missing! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:44 pm
</i>

Post subject: fall of hyperion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:47 am 
Lady Scryer

I think that you'll enjoy this book a lot, Danlo, as you will Endymion and Rise of Endymion. The latter two books have quite a bit of philosophy/theology in them in addition to action/adventure -- right up your alley!
And Sword of Storms will be out in paperback the first week of March!
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 2/10/03 11:02:08 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: fall of hyperion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:54 pm 
Master Pilot

I know! But can I wait that long? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:45 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: fall of hyperion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, you could always check this out: a complete and self contained short story from the prologue from a Feast for Crows is coming out this month in Dragon magazine. Maybe that can fill your George Martin craving until SOS comes out?

And in the meantime, Fall of Hyperion is a very good book! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:46 pm
</i>

Post subject: LOOK OUT LIGHT SPOILERS STARTING!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Very cool so far--about 1/2 way though chapt 4. I'm struck by the intense similarities of the Worldweb on the verge of sending the largest ever assembled space aramada 2 Hyperion 2 battle the Ousters and the US on the verge of sending awesome firepower and troops 2 Iraq, right now. Like Bush, CEO Gladstone's entire political career hinges on the successful completion of this campaign. 98% approval rating has been tabulated by the ALL THING. I feel like the artist Joesph Servern went asked what he thinks of the war, "It's stupid."... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 3/28/03 9:22:34 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Fall of Hyperion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, Simmons was more than a bit prescient on that particular bit, wasn't he?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:43 am 
Master Pilot

Fall's style is a little jerky in the beginning, but I guess that's 2 b xpected w/Severn--how could he help but b so schitzo--no wonder he gets drunk! His is an odd pov that we r not used 2...he is his own twin, he is the one who witnessed his own murder, he is human and a cybrid @ the same time, but he is in the right place at the right time! During the briefing he was spitting out so much techical jargon it made my head spin! That's 1 reason I dig Sci-Fi so much! My god what happened 2 Father Hoyt!!! 2 freaky!!! I did 4get that Endymion is a major city on Aquila, hmmmm...(wishes he had a Shrike emotion ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

When you go from the Hyperion books to the Endymion books it's a bit of dissonant note, too, as the Endymion ones take place three hundred odd years after the Hyperion twosome. And a LOT had changed in the galaxy in the meantime! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:49 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Almost at page 100, story is picking up speed! Now has a bit more of the "feel' of the 1st book. Is that it Kassad out here fighting? The 2 mini-father zombies about 2 b "born", Rachel about 2 die and Servern and Hunt r now on-planet. Interesting what Servern says about still 'feeling" the datasphere out of range, as if the AIs have snuck in2 and surrounded FORCE's secure channels w/out them even noticing. (makes u wonder how much real involvement they have w/the Ousters) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Actually, we're about at the same place right now in Fall of Hyperion. I've been buzzing through the two Hyperion books to try to help out with the terminology and all. I can't figure out some of that military jargon, either! There are a lot of anacronyms that only occur in that bit of that book, with no clues as to what they mean! I'm surprised you've been able to pick up in the story as well as you have, since it's been a while since you read you first book! You, as always, have my admiration! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:47 am 
Master Pilot

Moneta---strange, strange concept--Core construct? Something deeper? I'd really spoil if I went any further... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:38 pm 
Master Pilot

Almost done--Fist (Highdrake) would like the 2nd 1/2 of Fall--very Zen...some of the concepts r almost 2 far out there--the Ousters swarm worlds seem very Brin-like 4 some reason. The technology is so wild in general! The Core is starting 2 remind me of Littlefinger 4 some reason... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:00 am 
Lady Scryer

He will really start getting into religious and philosophical ideas in the two Endymion books, especially Rise of Endymion. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:51 pm 
Master Pilot

I finally finished and have 2 say I really enjoyed the book on the whole (a relatively happy ending!). I've always wanted 2 go 2 Scotland--now I really do!!!! Wow I didn't even guess what happens w/Moneta!

It's a good thing we're starting a glossary here as there r almost 2 many anacronyms, info, concepts and allegory going on in this book at once. Lane and Hunt became endearing charaters at the end. It would b neat if Simmons ever decided 2 do a story about Ouster civilization. 2 bad Oliver Reed is dead--he'd make a great Bishop of the Church of the Shrike. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

I did my best with those -- but some of those military acronyms I never could figure out!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your read; in Fall of Hyperion Simmons expands his "world view" from that of a handful of individuals to a much greater galactic scale...instead of telling of individual people he cranks it up to tell the stories of entire civilizations...while not forgetting the individual people, either! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>