[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Olympos Spoiler-Filled Discussion (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympos Spoiler-Filled Discussion (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

Having finished Olympos earlier this week, my mind was all in awhirl. That has got to be one of the most fast paced and downright exciting books I have ever read!!

I loved the thought that human genius can create entire new universes. And, not having gone beyond high school physics -- can someone confirm (or deny) for me if this is indeed possible under some of the current thinking about parallell universes and quantum mechanics? It is my current impression that it is indeed possible, but would like a further explanation in laymen's terms.

Besides Ada (I have always loved spunky, intelligent female characters) one of my favorite human characters ended up being Daeman. He turned from a butterfly boy (quite literally and in more than one way) to a true hero, someone you could trust with your life. Harman was a delight, but he had already begun to grow up when the story began, and did not change and grow as much as Daeman did.

The love story of Ada and Harman was lovely. The reinvention of marriage and of fatherhood and families.

I am really into family history, and I come down from a family named Harman who lived in Virginia since before the American Revolution. The name Harman comes from the ancient German name Herrmann. That name, in its oldest form, means "divine humanity" or "brotherhood of man" and later came to mean "guardian of the people" in Tuetonic (or at least it does in the family history books I have read. ) What more appropriate name could this character have possibly had?

And, of course, I love Mahnmut and Orphu of Io. The moravecs were absolutely cool!

And those post-humans and their morphing into gods/goddesses. I suppose you can leave your messy physical humanity behind, but you cannot leave behind such messy psychological drives such as hunger for power.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Olympos Spoiler-Filled Discussion (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh, and something I forgot to say yesterday (I hate posting when I am very tired ) is that one thing I have always enjoyed a great deal about Simmons as an author is that he does not spoonfeed every little tidbit of everything to his readers.

Take the whole concept of the Quiet.

All sorts of food for thought in that mystery force/being, and all sorts of intutive connections to be made there.

And he makes it so each and every reader can have his or her own concept of who or what the Quiet actually is. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

So no one else here at all has read this very enjoyable book? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:50 am 
Master Pilot

It's been awhile since I finished the books. From my memory:
I never quite understood how all the different stories fit together. How the Jews from Orphans of the Helix, the post human gods, the "real" gods, and the observers fit together. Your post of creating new universes maybe explains something I never grasped while reading.

I enjoyed many of the action scenes but found the ending a little Dues Ex Machina. Maybe I need to reread!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 am 
Master Pilot

Listening to Dean Koontz 77 Shadow Street now and it seems like he borried a bit from this Simmons series.