Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Stone of Farewell (only light spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

I began reading this today.
It is the second book in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, following the Dragonbone Chair.
Williams jumps right into the action in this book!
As the power of the darkness spreads, Simon and co. must find a mysterious place called the Stone of Farewell... Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Stone of Farewell (only light spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:12 am 
Lady Scryer

So far I am enjoying it. We get to spend more time with peoples/places we didn't see much of in the first book of the series. I like the trolls! And Earthblood, can you tell me -- is Nabban based loosely on ancient Rome? Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:42 pm 
Master Pilot

It seems like most of the 'Nations' have similarities to medieval Europe. Nabban has definite similarities to Rome (& the'Mother Church' to Catholocism(?sp)). Erkynland = England, Rimmersgard = northern Europe, Trolls = native Siberians etc. Not too sure how far along you are - I'm slowly making my way thru TDC, but there are other nationalities (Wrannamen, Peridunese, Thrithing folk, Hystrenians(?sp)) that also have definite similarities to the Eurpoean continent (IMHO anyway).
I'm glad you're enjoying the series, Duchess. I've had a tough time getting back into a good reading schedule. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

i have been enjoying it, Earthblood! And I understand about getting some reading time! It's hockey season!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:16 am 
Lady Scryer

I like the Hern-people (can't think of how to spell that) and their Princess.

And know what? I still despise the puppy killer!!:">

Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Oh, the puppy killer stoops to even greater evils - just wait!
There is a reason he is called the 'Red Priest' <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

Earthblood, you're starting to scare me!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess - I'll give you a small spoiler:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
He gets his in the end!!!!!!
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:26 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, your spoiler is a relief!!!

The Sithi remain totally cool. I love their meeting hall made of/covered with free wild butterflies (that must be where Simon is on the front cover).

But their relatives, the Norns, are definate baddies!!

Miriamele is starting to annoy me, doesn't she realize that Padraic (or whatever his real name is) is trying to help her to the best of his (admittedly not seeming too great) ability? The nobleman who owns the ship gives the utter and total creeps, but she only sees his pretty face. That girl is going to bring down a world of trouble onto her own head, if she doesn't watch out!

I continue to like Simon and the Trolls a great deal. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:10 am 
Master Pilot

You have a woman's intuition, duchess......

The Sithi are TOTALLY cool. I especially like them in the Green Angel Tower book(S) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:29 am 
Pilot

I must say I am just re=reading and while still ok its not the best book series I have read.

But I admit that OTherland is in another league of its own. Vote in the Fantasy Author Showdown<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:55 am 
Pilot

Hiya,

I just saw you posts on when Pyrates killed the puppy!
I am to say I was mortified to read it! It just makes you hate him even more through the book!

As for the Sithi place made out of cloth, it would look amazing! It sounds like such a beautiful place!

Would just like to say Tad Williams is fantasic.
Even though Tolkien is still my firm favoraite (he got me into Fantasy!) Tad totally shocked me when I read it. I was amazed by all the detail. You actually felt like you where there, experiencing what they it! And unlike Tolkien, it had quite a bit more grief and death in it, although I thought this made it seem more realistic.

One thing I was shocked at was when I though someone was going to be in the book till the end or most of the way through it, they'd die for example Morgenes!

Anyway, I've gone on for too long! Sorry! <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:12 am 
Master Pilot

Earrinde - please feel free to go on as long as you like!!!
I have been very remiss in my moderatorship lately and am happy to have someone here who has enjoyed this series as much as I!!!!

I agree, I still hold Tolkien at the pinnacle & he is the one who got me started in fantasy, but TW's writing is as inventive and maybe a bit more 'real' to me - as in deaths of those you wouldn't think would die, etc.

I was also impressed by his language developement - again, not quite as elaborate as JRRT, but impressive just as well, especially the Sithi tongue..
Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:25 pm 
Pilot

I do love MS&T, although I like them kind of stories. I'm a bit of romantic sci-fi fan, anythin medievalish, faries, dragons, elves etc, and its got my vote!!!

I was very impressed with the language development of the Sithi, and the others.Its adds so much to a story. It makes the characters seem more realistic if they have there own voice.

Is TW planning to do anymore Osten Ard stories? I remember reading somewhere that he was thinking of it.

xEx <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Here is a bit from a Tad Williams interview from a website called sff world

Q: What are your plans for the future, will you someday return to the fantasy world you created in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series?

A: I am planning to do a collection of short stories set in Osten Ard, yes. I think it will be different than any other collection of stories by an epic fantasy author. I'll leave it until the book appears for people to see why I say that.

He does have a short story set in that world in Legends called Burning Man. In Legends II he has an Otherland story... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>