Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Virtual Fantasy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Works of Tad Williams:
OTHERLAND Volume One:
CITY OF GOLDEN SHADOW
Volume Two:
RIVER OF BLUE FIRE
Volume Three:
MOUNTAIN OF BLACK GLASS
Volume Four:
SEA OF SILVER LIGHT

TAILCHASER'S SONG

The MEMORY, SORROW and THORN tetralogy:
THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR
STONE OF FAREWELL
TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER Part One
TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER Part Two
The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/19/02 9:25:00 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Virtual Fantasy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Whos the mod here? And whos Tad Williams?

It looks good btw. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 10/19/02 3:50:39 pm
</i>

Post subject: A sample of Williams from: Mountain of Black Glass
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:30 pm 
Master Pilot

From Mountian of Black Glass: vol III of the Otherland series by Tad Williams-<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Whatever else the creators of this simulation might have planned, Paul thought, they had done a very fine job of capturing the Mediterranean world's astonishingly clear, bright light. Even early on this hot morning the rocks along the cliff seemed as crisply pale as new paper, the reflected glare so fierce that he could not stand too close to them. Even with the sun behind him, he had to shade his eyes.

I've got to learn the rules of this thing, he thought as he watched the seagulls wheeling below him. Not Greece, but the whole network. I have to make sense of it or I'll just wander forever. The other version of Vaala, the one that spoke first in my dream, then through the Neandertal child, said that I had to get to a black mountain.

"It reaches to the sky," she had told him, "covers up the stars . . . That is where all your answers are." But when he had asked her how he could find it, she had answered, "I don't know. But I might know, if you can find me." And then the dream-version of Vaala had sent him here, to search for what seemed herself in another guise — but that was where the whole thing fell apart completely. How could she know . . . but not know? What could such a thing mean? Unless, as he had guessed the night before, she was neither normal person or simulation, but something else. Perhaps she had meant that in different simulations she had access to different memories?

But in this Penelope version of her she doesn't seem to know anything at all, he thought sourly. She doesn't even know she's a version — doesn't know that she's the one who sent me here.

The moderator would be me 4 now. Williams is a great Sci/Fantasy writer. From his weird vitual reality Otherland to Green Angel Station he is admired by fans of both genres. I have read City of Golden Shadow and half of River of Blue Fire. I look 4ward 2 finishing the series as they explore the awesome concepts of a future time where conciousness assumes form in a fanastic and refreshingly different "Virtual Reality" fantasy world(s?). !Xabbu and Riene enlist some of the oddest VR explorers our world has 2 offer 2 aid them in their search for Riene's brother who lays dying in southern Africa with his conciousness imprisoned and hidden somewhere unknown in this deep, everchanging and mysterious land.

Meanwhile Paul Jonas stumbles around lands that seem familiar to him but r not. Jonas has some of the wildest computer messages sent 2 him that tell him to "meet" at certain places in Otherland. But he can only see them as signs that make him question his reality or make him pause 2 think. 'hmmm....mayb I am, actually, a larger conciousness that exists outside of this world'. WHO is the global brotherhood of evil, rich, masterminds that control this place?
What in the world is their insane agenda? Who could stop them? Impossible! It's amazing stuff and a VERY compelling ride!

The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/20/02 7:17:09 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: A sample of Williams from: Mountain of Black Glass
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:11 am 
Master Pilot

Was it Earthy who said he really likes him? Maybe he could be a mod... The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:50 am 
Master Pilot

I would love 4 that 2 happen! He could bcome a Master pilot in no time! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:40 am 
Pilot

I have the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series and just for the record, book 3 "Green Angel Tower" is actually two books. Part 1 (815pgs) and Part 2 (815pgs) so technically there are 4 books to the series.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:37 am 
Master Pilot

Right you are Fid - GAT is 2 parts. I would be willing to step up & try my hand at moderating - thanks for the offer. I'm new at the whole discussion board thing, so I can't guarantee anything, however, I am a BIG Tad Williams fan & would enjoy discussing the MS&T series. I have not yet read the Otherland work - got caught in Kevin's Watch & SRD!

I did find TW's (Tad Williams) MS&T work to be quite 'Tolkien-like'. He did a lot of language developement (not to the extent of Tolkien) - the Sithi, trolls & various human 'nationalities'.
I felt a lot more....darkness in MS&T than JRRT's LOTR. Maybe it was 1920's vs. 1980's attitude, I don't know. Many similarities - if you like JRRT, you'll like MS&T imo.

Many twists & turns - reappearances of characters and I think the best part for me was the (IMHO) superior 'travel management' of TW. He does a masterful job of maintaining the story line thru several character's travels throughout OstenArd, where the story takes place.

The climax of the story is a great twist from what I was expecting, causing the downfall of the bad guy anyway, and nearly bringing me to tears.

Danlo - I will brush up a bit and come up w/a few topics. Let me know what you expect - I am new here! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:21 am 
Master Pilot

Earthblood make a post and introduce urself Lord Pilot!
(email me and I'll send u the password 2 the Rose Womb Cloisters and I can talk 2 u there...) The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/21/03 11:34 am
</i>

Post subject: Here we go....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:26 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks Timekeeper! I'm psyched to get into some good TW topics.

I've already thought about a Troll thread & the Sithi 'Civil War' as possibilities.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Heres to Earthy, the newest Lord Pilot of the newest forum!

Danlo- are you going to move this forum up w/the other authors on the jump select at the bottom? The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:52 pm 
Master Pilot

It's done--sometimes the old board's a little slow doing stuff like that... The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/21/03 11:35 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks! I remember that happened to Lewis, too.

Well Earthy, are you going to start some threads? The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:19 am 
Lady Scryer

Hi, Earthblood! I put in an "ad" for you over at a Williams thread at ASOIAF. Hope you don't mind. Some of those guys seemed really into your author, hope they pop over! my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:18 am 
Master Pilot

congrats earthy!! nice forum!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:25 pm 
Master Pilot

How do u like the new look, Earthy? Artistic consultant, duchy, moral support, Syl... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>