Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Favorite Elf in Fellowship Poll
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Well un42nately there's no way 2 edit a poll--now if u would like 2 copy the great quote and form another poll u're more than welcome--I can @least delete the old poll!! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:47 pm 
Master Pilot

MsMaryMalone -

Actually I think Arwen is counted as full Eldar. Certainly by Tolkien who notes that her marriage to Aragorn is one of only three Eldar/Edain marriages.

The natural confusion comes about from her father being known as Elrond Halfelven I suppose. Aure entuluva !<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:24 am 
Master Pilot

And so he is...Halfelven that is.

I think Arwen is counted among the Eldar because her father Elrond chose to live the life of the Eldar, unlike his brother Elros, who chose the life of men (or the Edain) and became first king of the Numenoreans.

To be technical, both Arwen and Aragorn were part Elven and part Edain.

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> There were three unions of the Eldar and Edain: Luthien and Beren; Idril and Tuor; Arwen and Aragorn. By the last the long-sundered branches of the Half-Elven were reunited and their line was restored.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:06 am 
Master Pilot

the best elves are in the Sil, Feanor, Fingolfin, Madhros, Fingon, Turgon, Finrod Felagund, and all the others are way better than any of these I must say, even better than galadriel and elrond "I say the right things but act the wrong way, I like it right here but I can not stay. I watch the tv forget what I'm told, well I am to young and they are too old. I'll make it you see, I'm never so pleased, pretend to be nice tho I can be mean. I missd the last bus, I'll take the next train. I'll try but you see, its hard to explain." Hard to Explain, The Strokes<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:29 am 
Master Pilot

I agree KM but the poll was supposed b refer more 2 the movie--sorry! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:37 am 
Master Pilot

yea thats okay... Legolas then, he seems like Beleg Strongbow "I say the right things but act the wrong way, I like it right here but I can not stay. I watch the tv forget what I'm told, well I am to young and they are too old. I'll make it you see, I'm never so pleased, pretend to be nice tho I can be mean. I missd the last bus, I'll take the next train. I'll try but you see, its hard to explain." Hard to Explain, The Strokes<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:16 am 
Master Pilot

I voted Legolas also. He was young (for an elf) and I thought he was very brave & self sacrificing (alongside Gimli) in the War of the Ring.

His friendship w/dwarves & hobbits went against the grain for a youngster elf, but he was an admirable example to all!!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:16 am 
Master Pilot

I voted Elrond, he was so wise, and so...ya know all-knowing.

In LOTR:the Movie, I hated their portrayal of Elrond. I know Elves look young and all, but he should have looked older, he was so wise, and usually when one thinks of wise, on thinks of age. Mhoram, for instance, wasnt really wise in LFB, but when he became older, SRD portrayed him as an older character. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:36 am 
Master Pilot

I will vote Legolas too!! infact I thought there really was no contest till I read the thread .. favourite elf in the fellowship?? .. well there was only one .. but of all the elves .. mmm .. yep still Legolas! I like Elrond, Arwen and Galadriel too ofcourse - they are all brave and wise and so on .. but Legolas was my fav. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:27 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:In LOTR:the Movie, I hated their portrayal of Elrond. I know Elves look young and all, but he should have looked older, he was so wise, and usually when one thinks of wise, on thinks of age.

I agree, Mhoram. I hated the movie portrayal of Elrond. He looked all wrong to me, with that long hair and braids, and he frowned too much, and seemed more stern than I expected Elrond to be.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:20 am 
Master Pilot

I agree too!! :: paying attention HLM??::

He was all wrong .. and after the Matrix I already associated Elrond with some evil 'nasty' alien character .. when I saw him as Elrond I was not at all convinced!

In my mind I kept hearing him saying .. 'you're all filthy .. your kind is a virus .. a disease ... you stink .. your kind sweats sickness' ..

and stuff like that .. that poor actor is type cast forever in my mind .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:00 pm 
Master Pilot

I still liked the movie though...but Bilbo could have been better. Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:38 am 
Master Pilot

yeppers apart from that and ... mmm .. the movie was great!!

and I cant wait for the premier of TTT!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Well I votd Glorfindel. Killed a Balrog, shooed off Angmar, gave Frodo and the boys a hand. He had a full life did old Goldilocks I smoke Mc's, not Crack<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:22 am 
Master Pilot

what's Mc's? 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>