Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Saruman
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:33 pm 
Pilot

Was watching the extended edition of FOTR yesterday and was struck once again by Christopher Lee's brilliant performance as Saruman the White. One thing that impressed me what how for just a split second when he first appears, you can see the good and kind and wise being whom Saruman once was. In his commentary, Lee notes we don't know what happened to Saruman, really. At least it isn't explained in the book, despite hints.

Myself, watching Lee's performance I got a very clear notion about his downfall. In a word--pride. Yes, Saruman had all the qualities anyone might ask for in the best of men, but it seemed tainted from day one by vanity. His sympathy, I imagine, was always tinged a little by contempt at weaker beings. Of course he could master a Palantir! So eventually he did use it, certain even Sauron was no match for his own great will. And when proved wrong--when Sauron broke him, making him into a servant--well, what could he do? What did he tell himself, having been broken by the will of Sauron?

I think he tells himself he's going to mitigate Sauron's evil, that he will save the world the only way it can be saved--by bending to the most powerful, most invulverable power that exists. After all, it has to be invulnerable, right? It defeated the great Saruman! That means no one else stands any chance at all.

You can even see Saruman in his own way trying to save Gandalf, by forcing him to make the same choice he himself has. Whether Saruman had any choice once he looked into the Palantir is another question, but he certainly believes he has. I mean, he has to tell himself that, right? What's the alternative?

Zahir <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Saruman
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:21 am 
Lady Scryer

You're quite right Zahir. For that one instant you can see Saruman as he once was -- and that makes his corruption even more horrifying.
And he is brilliantly portrayed! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>