[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Tell me about Wizards and Sauron!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Wizards and Sauron!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:03 am 
Pilot

After reading that there were different colors to the wizards, such as brown, grey, white, and blue, do you know what order these 'levels' come in?

It would seem that white is the most powerful and gray is just below that. Is there an order in which these colors occur? And are there more colors than those listed above?

OOC: Edited this to take off my images... Now... About that question? <i>Edited by: Namarie X at: 12/30/02 5:53:43 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:31 am 
Master Pilot

Yowza! Ur images take up alot of space! Welcome NamarieX! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:34 pm 
Master Pilot

Namarie - I don't know whether the colours mean anything. When Gandalf becomes "The White" he becomes what Saruman should have been. A Champion for Good. I smoke Mc's, not Crack<i></i>

Post subject: More about Morgoth, Valar, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:37 am 
Pilot

Just cause I'm picky...

The whole of creation was made by Eru, and the first thing he made was a race of spirits called the Ainur. Greatest of all of these was Melkor.

When Arda (Middle Earth) was made as home for the Children of Eru (Men and Elves), most of the Ainur went into Arda to give it shape. The most powerful of the Ainur were called the Valar, among whom Melkor was counted. Lesser spirits were called the Maiar, and among these were fire-spirits seduced by Melkor, who became Balrogs. But Sauron was Melkor's first lieutenant.

The making of Arda by the Valar was ever marred by Melkor, until at last each side withdrew to their own territories. Aule, a Vala who had once been Sauron's mentor, grew impatient for students and made the dwarves. Eru took pity and allowed them to live, but said they must sleep until Elves and Men awoke. So many ages later, when the Elves came to be, the Valar waged war with all they had and imprisoned Melkor. They then brought many of the Elves to dwell in Valinor, the Undying Lands. In these days there was no sun or moon, only stars. But in Valinor a silver and a golden golden tree gave light to the land. During this age Feanor wa born, and his kinswoman Galadriel. Feanor caught the light of the two trees in three gems called the Silmarils.

Eventually, Melkor was released and he claimed to have repented. But in truth he lied and strove to create discord. Up until this time, the Elves had not yet heard of another race yet to come--Men--and some feared the Valar kept them as prisoners in favor of these latecomers.

In the end, Melkor poisoned the two trees and stole the Silmarils, slaying Feanor's father. He then fled back to his fortress in Arda. Feanor and his seven sons swore an oath to reclaim the Silmarils no matter what the cost. Terrible crimes were then committed by Elves against Elves. But from that began the hopeless War of Men and Elves Against Morgoth (as Melkor was now known). One fruit from the golden tree and one leaf from the silver were saved, enclosed in crystal orbs and sent into the sky--the sun and moon. From this time the race of Men awoke, some of whom befriended the Elves. One such, Beren, wed Luthien the most fair Elven maiden who ever lived. Together they wrested a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.

It was their descendent Ereandil (married to the only other offspring of man and elf) who used the Silmaril to find his way across the seas to Valinor. By this time many wonderful cities and realms had been destroyed, so that Morgoth ruled over almost the whole of Arda. The Valar set Ereandil into the sky with the Silmaril, so that each night he sails as a star showing hope to all the world. And at his urging, the Valar waged war again on Morgoth, slaying most of his Balrogs and Dragons and Orcs (although Sauron escaped). These battles reshaped the world. But Morgoth was bound and cast into darkness.

To the children of Ereandil--named Elros and Elrond--was given the choice to be counted as Men or Elves. Elrond chose to be of Elven kind, but his brother chose to be mortal and so became first King of Numenor (And Aragorn's direct ancestor). To him and his descendents was given very long life.

So began the Second Age.

Just wanted to get that out. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: More about Morgoth, Valar, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow just reading ur post made the whole Silmarillion (which a read 23 years ago) come rushing back back!! Absolutely astonishing post Zahir! We need Beren 2 rush back and dicker w/u! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: *blushes*
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:25 pm 
Pilot

Thank you.

I've been giving a rundown to friends who saw the movie but haven't read the books for about a year now.

For the record, my own impression is that Sauron was reduced into an impotent shadow, incapable of doing anything. And that Saruman's fate was something similar. Morgoth, on the other hand, was cast into "the void" which I took to mean outside of the universe. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: *blushes*
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:50 am 
Master Pilot

A most excellent summary, Zahir. The only thing wrong with it that I can see is that it's Eärendil, not Ereandil.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

Post subject: wazzisname
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:23 pm 
Pilot

Oops. What can I say? I don't speak Elvish (unlike, evidently, Christopher Lee). But thanks. Me loves mythology. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: wazzisname
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:09 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm with Danlo - I struggled thru the Sillmarillion 20 yrs ago in high school & have tried to pick it up several times since - Zahir just briought it all back. The most importent part being the origins of our beloved characters in LOTR - Thanks Zahir.

Now I have another book on the to read list *shrug*
<i></i>

Post subject: re: wazzisname
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:11 am 
Pilot

Many thanks.

I remember being so jazzed when "The Silmarillion" finally came out. Among other things I was looking forward to finally finding out *what* Sauron really was! That always bothered me. Imagine my surprise when it began with the creation of the world!!

Personally, I'd love to see "The Silmarillion" as an animated film. <i></i>

Post subject: Blue wizards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:03 pm 
Pilot

Blue Istari were called Alatar and Pallando. They went east, past the sea of Rhun and reached Hildorien, the place where Moriquendi, Elves who didn't walk away from lake Culvinien to Gondolin as Teleri, Noldor and Varaya elves did. What happened to the blue mages that is unknown for Tolkien wouldn't mention them anymore. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Blue wizards
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:13 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks 4 the info! Please join us! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: Re: Blue wizards
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:20 am 
Master Pilot

Hey Yahooz - post in the sil thread - you seem to have a good handle on it... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 am 
Lady Scryer

It gives you an idea of the importance of Elrond and his family, in that they are part Maiar. A maiar fell in love with an elven king and they wed. Their daughter, the most beautiful of all living things in the world, was Luthien. She was one of two great elven princesses in tghe First Age who married human men. Those two lines (of the two marriages between elven royalty and human royalty) came together in the persons of Luthien's granddaughter and the Princess Idril's son Earandil when they wed, and produced Elrond and his brother Elros. Since they were of mixed blood, the two brothers were given the choice to be human or elven. Elrond chose to be elven, and his three children were allowed to make the choice as well. His brother Elros chose to be human and became the forefather of the Kings of Numenor, and the ancestor of Aragorn. All of his children and descendants also had to be human - he chose for them all. The two family branches came together again in the marriage of Aragorn and Arwen.

As far as I know, Luthien's mother was the only Maiar to have a child in Middle Earth.

I think the additional information about the wizards coems from a series of books known as HOME - History of Middle Earth, which comes in many volumes. They are notes, rough drafts, explanations, etc. found in Tolkien's papers and put together by, I think, one of his children.

Image Image Image