Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Movie The Two Towers: SPOILER ALERT!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:58 am 
Master Pilot

The Movie The Two Towers: SPOILER ALERT!

Please discuss and review The Two Towers in this thread only!
Alot of us haven't seen it yet and 4 some it may b weeks. I'll use my situation as an xample, I pasted what I said in Lady Dy's Xmas topic blow...

I could, now, really use a ticket 2 The 2 Towers. I should b bummed out, and I shoulda known better, but the radio said TTT was sold out 4 2 and 1/2 weeks! even 2 sneak peek and 2 secret midnite movies were sold out b4 10pm yesterday!! I thought I could sneak right in like I did last year 2 FOTR, but that was on Urredeath, Pop. 67,000, SALUTE!!! Albuquerque is MUCH bigger than Silver City!!!! Whew... up I've waited a year I can wait a little longer--PLEASE don't SPOIL me...

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Movie The Two Towers: SPOILER ALERT!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:10 am 
Lady Scryer

I see Danlo beat me to it! I was going to start this so he wouldn't have any spoilers dropped on him!
I really enjoyed the movie, except for the character of Faramir, who acted like Boromir Jr.
I was blown away by the warg riders, Gollum, and the Ents. How could they make Gollum's eyes look so real??? "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:02 pm 
Master Pilot

The Ents!!!!!! How cool where they? I agree Duchess, Gollum really stole(sp?) the show. I also wasn't really impressed w/Faramir and they lost me a little when they returned from the cave behind the waterfall to a city & had battle. Am I just getting old and don't remember or was that part of the movie's artistic licence?

I told myself I'm not going to be to critical yet....
Oliphants, Ents, wargs, Gollum - awesome!!!!

4 stars.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:02 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm not peeking, much--Gollum's eyes r the actor's own! He wore a blue skintight outfit that covered everything but his eyes when he did the pacing 4 all his animation's actions. Then he recreated those actions wired 2 the comp and the animation followed his every move!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

No, the whole thing in Osgiliath was movie only. In the book Faramir was wise and noble and let them go at the waterfall. he was every good thing that his brother wasn't. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:50 am 
Pilot

I am impressed and overwhelmed! I will have to see it again to really form a detailed opinion, though. There is a thing called First Viewing Syndrome and I'm suffering from it, although in a milder form than last year. The malady is in many cases counteracted by the Second Viewing Syndrome whose symptoms include liking almost all aspects of the film markedly more than on the first viewing.

But I'd just like to say I love Faramir. There is some really great and subtle acting going on in his case, and I actually prefer the movie Faramir to the book Faramir. I also think the movie is too short. <i></i>

Post subject: Two Towers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:15 pm 
Pilot

I went to the theater last night to see the Two Towers, it was snowing out, the power went out half way through the movie! Arrgh! So, I'm going back tonight.. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Two Towers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Oh, that stinks!!!!
We will be going again on Sunday! Yay!!! It's the last day of my vacation, so I will be very happy to end it with fun!
My little son also thought the movie was too short -- "But MOM---They didn't break Saruman's Staff!!!"
I'm sure I'll like it even more next time... Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:23 am 
Master Pilot

Don't they break his staff at the beginning of ROTK? I'm HERE, but how? U may ask! Well, these idiots on our local rock station said TTT was sold out as a prank it turns out! I went 2 the theater 2day thinking 2 c Solaris, but it left town already(!!!??), so was going 2 settle 4 Gangs of NY and walked right in2 TTT!

I loved the renderings of BARAD-DUR, MT. Doom and the gates of Mordor. The Oliphants were muy wick-ed 2! I thought Farimir was cool 4 the brief time he was on...which prob. had more 2 do w/the actor himself..than the story line. Yes the Gondor city being attacked was a side story--Hobbits were never there, were they? One of the coolest scenes in the book is how they pass through the waterfall 2 the cave--but that wasn't shown.

I need a Tolkien xpert here! becauz prob the main thing that bummed me was when Merry was talking about being 4warned about Ent-like in behaviour (in Fangorn) back in the Old Forest, which was a key bit of info left out of FOTR because all the Bombadrillo footage was either never shot, or cut out right?

I can 4give that, becauz of time contraints, Arwen was totally hot, The Elves were great! Treebread Rules, Rohan was so cool! Gollum, really, single-handedly saved the picture! I was very impressed, overall! Wormtounge was nicely sleazy, almost 2 familiar! I have met some WTs in my day! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/25/02 9:39:46 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:21 pm 
Lady Scryer

Osgiliath was mentioned as being attacked in the book, but the Hobbits never went there...yes, the Oliphants, Ents, warg riders, and Gollum were too cool! I'm glad that you explained about the eyes, they looked so human because they WERE!
Rohan was great, everything was just as I had always pictured it -- loved both Eowyn and Eomer!
I just had to look it up, but the end of one of the storylines in the book is the breaking of Saruman's staff, Perry and the Palantir, and Gandalf leaving for Gondor. The other storyline ends with the Shelob situation. Jackson must be saving up these goodies for his grand finale!
I'm not sure about your questions of the old forest. Hopefully Foamy or one of the Tolkein experts can pop in and answer those. Or maybe Earthblood knows? I think that he's into Ents and the forests... Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:57 pm 
Master Pilot

What was the name of the Elven "captian" (I'm 2 py 2 look it up) I heard Aragorn say his name but it seemed 2 come out mumbled--begins w/an M, right!? Is it just me or do y'all think Elrond was a more acceptable in TT than in FOTR? Mayb, it was the way it was shot, just seemed more etheral, commanding, distant and torn--mayb had a little more depth 2 work with? (awoken this morn w/images of Ents tossing huge rocks, life just doesn't get much better than this, does it!! ??? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Just saw TTT, wow!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:47 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow, it was great. The battle of Helm's Deep was phenomonal (sp?? lol ), strangely reminded me of the siege of Revelstone....hmmmm

Theoden was portrayed very well, so were the Ents, and just about everything. Gollum was hilarious!! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Just saw TTT, wow!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes they stopped b4 Cirith Ungol 2, right? Meneldil, perhaps? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:23 pm 
Pilot

The Elf "captain" is Haldir. I say the guy who plays Haldir and Celeborn are the same person but no one will agree with me They look exactly alike to me. Need a side by side.
What question did you have about the Ents, Danlo? I am unclear on that.
At this point in time I do not feel TTT is better then FOTR. With FOTR, I had to watch it a few times before I fell in love with the movie so I am sure TTT will be the same way. I am quite excited all ready for the extended DVD version to come out so I can see the scenes they cut!
There are a couple things that I did not like in the movie. As with most people it seems, I do not like how the entire Faramir scene was done. I don't like the actor who played him, the personality they gave him or the scenes they made with him. It made no sense to me and I don't see how Jackson thought that would help the story line more for the movie. I think they took too much of the journey that Sam, Frodo and Gollum made across the lands. It made it seem that they were just a hop skip and a jump away from Mordor. Took them to less time. I also missed the scene of Sam and Frodo going down the cliff by the rope. But I suppose since they cut out the Galadriel gift giving scene from FOTR, then it wouldn't have made sense where they rope came from or why it was so special. Also would have liked to seen how Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli simply sat on the ground in Rohan as Eomer and Riddermark rode past them without seeing them because of the Elvish cloakes. Instead they had them hide behind some rocks. I didn't like that. My last complaint would be the movie was too short!! 3 hours is simply not enough time to cram as much info as they need to. What a shame. For they time that they do have though I think Jackson did a good job, I just wish it were longer! Dune 2000 for example is 5 hours........I could stand all 3 LOTR 5 hours long a piece. That would be awesome! Another thing I missed was how Gwaihir rescured Gandalf from the mountain. Saved him from Orthanac and they should have had him come get Gandalf from the mountain after the Balrog fight as well.
I've seen quite a few people over the net complain about Aragorns flashbacks to Arwen, his flirting with Eowyn and that too much time was spent on Helm's Deep. I think that is all mad. There were 2 or 3 flashbacks and they were not even that long and I didn't see any flirting between Aragorn and Eowyn. And make Helm's Deep shorter? Egad!! Such a huge battle and they would like less time spent on it? Now in the book Tolkien didn't really elaborate a whole lot on the battle I thought compared to the battle at Gondor. So I myself will be disappointed if the next battle is any less grander then they made Helms Deep. Beren had mentioned elsewhere it was THE fantasy battle scene of all time.......I hope Gondor will outdo Helms Deep ten fold. About the flashbacks, I didn't much care for the scene of Arwen at Aragorns deathbed. They pretty much just gave away what happens in ROTK!! How sad for those who have not read the books! Now what was the point of that?
I was tearful eyed from the moment Lord of the Rings showed on the screen till the end. The greatest part of the movie for me was when the White Rider came over the hill from the East to save Helms Deep. Oh man, that scene with him standing on the hill and the army rising behind him....tears flowed baby....tears flowed. That was so awesome.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Congrats on FINALLY bcoming a Master Pilot Fid!

When Meridoc was 1st up in Treebeard, w/Pip, he says something 2 him 2 the effect that: we were warned that trees were moving in Fangorn when we were back at the Old Forest...so, like the Gift giving ceremony, I believe that important bit of info in FOTR was cut out or not filmed 2, am I right?--that's basically my Q.

Indeed there is alot left off of the end of the book--not enuf with the Palanthir, nothing w/Shelob or Ungol--Jackson has alot of work 2 do w/all that--however--once that's accomplished ROTK is prob the most "made 4 a movie" book of all 3--and it's really not as long as it looks! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/22/02 7:29:57 pm
</i>