Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Women and LOTR
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:05 am 
Master Pilot

There's very few women mentioned in LOTR. Why do you think that Tolkien's characters are mostly male? Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Women and LOTR
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:12 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't know...perhaps Tolkien is a product of Victorian times--men always going off 2 wars and adventures. Goldberry was my choice in the poll--always had the hots 4 her! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:21 pm 
Master Pilot

Women? What women? "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Hello! The women are in a poll on another post. Please don't ask why I didn't put them together. Just don't know... Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:39 pm 
Master Pilot

she knos that she's just being silly! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:10 am 
Master Pilot

Was M&M putting me on??? Not only am I transparent, but add naive to the list. Man, oh man, oh man. (I always hear song titles in times like these: Todd Rundgren's <i> Don't You Ever Learn?</i>) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:46 am 
Master Pilot

I LOVE Todd Rundgren! We should discuss him in the Music Heaume!! God we're a couple of old farts! but getting off topic... How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:24 am 
Master Pilot

Yes, we're old guys. Just turned 50 2 months ago! Will have to address admiration for Todd's work in the music forum! (though I do hear women's voices in the backup singers, and I suspect he's read LOTR) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:45 am 
Master Pilot

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Interesting question. Sort of reminds me of "Does the dog wag the tail or the tail wag the dog?" Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Reminds me, & speaking of "old farts", of the birthday card I saw @ the store the other day--that had a chicken standing on the other side of the road that said "The question 4 the middle-aged chicken is: "How did I get here?" How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:29 pm 
Master Pilot

you two are a couple of old :farts!! ..

I consider myself a <i> tweeny</i>.. not an old fart yet and not a teenager .. but in between .. old enough to know better .. sometimes .. but not so old as to have any clue who Todd R***something .. is! Life passes so swiftly .. there presents the need to sieze the moments before they too slip through our grasp!!

Love Life .. There is joy in it!! .. and a bounty to be had!! Its richness does not lie that which is fleeting but in bonds formed experiences cherished and in the touch of humanity we share.

*From the wisdom of the Sky!* health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:30 am 
Master Pilot

Ever hear the song that goes "I love you best, it's not something that I say in jest, cause you're different girl from all the rest, when I see the light in your eyes" absolutely beautiful song--2 CDs 2 buy from Todd Rundgren r: Something/Anything? and A Wizard a True Star. I also like Uriah Heap 4 Fantasy inspired rock--But that's a subject 4 Gen Fantasy as TR is a subject 4 the Music Heaume How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/31/02 5:30:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:33 am 
Master Pilot

You guys are really getting off the topic here!

Seriously, though, LOTR is mostly about men and their deeds. The descriptions and deeds of the women are few and far between. Which is, I guess, what my above comment alluded to.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:33 am 
Pilot

just a little off topic
it's true though there are few women in LOTR. the ones that are there though are strong (ok i'm not including the greasy old tavern wench from the movie). there are more in the Silmarillion but it's still mostly dominated by men (or is that elves?). even if there is a lack, the quality of the characters makes up for their lesser page space.
are there any women at all in the Hobbit?? <i></i>