[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Children of Hurin

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Children of Hurin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Is anyone else excited about a new novel by the Master? :D

So far my favorite cover is the one from the Netherlands edition:

I love how the dragon goes on forver like a river across the landscape. 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Here is a link to the American cover:

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Children of Hurin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:38 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm looking forward to reading it...doesn't it come out soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:58 am 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

Is the artwork as gorgeous as on those two covers? :) 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:39 pm 
Pilot

I'm way late with this response, but yes, it's the American cover. And I like the artwork a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:58 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have read the basic story before in both the Sil and the UT. It has been years, and I had forgotten just how much sadness and tragedy are contained in this story. :(

[spoilers]:
It is made even worse in that so much of it could have been avoided if not for a huge amount of stubborn pride and a basic inability of both Turin and his mother to listen to good advice. As always, I feel especially bad for Nienor. While Turin contributes greatly to his own tragedy, she has always seemed a lot more innocent in all of the horrible things that happen than he does. Ah well. It is a bad thing for a man and his entire family to be cursed by an evil supernatural being of great power like Hurin was - I hesitate to call Morgoth a god, but I suppose in most world mythologies he could/would be considered one. :? [/spoilers]

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 pm 
The Timekeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 pm 
The Timekeeper

I just saw that Children of Hurin came out as an audiobook last year, narrated by Christopher Lee. :menolly:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:04 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

Well if anyone should be narrating Tolkien, then my money would be on the great Mr Lee!

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow, a Tolkien book narrated by Saruman, er, Christopher Lee himself? Surely it doesn't get any better than that. Still, Children of Hurin sounds like something that only hardcore Tolkien fans could appreciate - just like the Silmarillion. I'm still trying to find the willpower to read the Lord of the Rings, even though I enjoyed the movies. But I do find the history of Middle-Earth to be incredibly fascinating, so some day I may tackle Children of Hurin, and re-tackle the Silmarillion. (When I was a kid, I once tried reading The Silmarillion. Bad move on my part, as I didn't understand what the heck was going on.)