[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Quiet

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Quiet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am 
The UnTitled

in here, isn't it?

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Quiet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:05 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:09 am 
The UnTitled

We'll have to see if we can change that.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Too tired tonight, but I will watch if you want to get things going. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:27 am 
The UnTitled

: I didn't mean right this instant, so much as over time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:11 am 
Master Pilot

Avatar is just an over-eager poster, his fingers poised predator-like over his keyboard, ready to pounce at unsuspecting members looking only to chill out... <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:28 am 
The UnTitled

Actually, I have a keyboard for each hand.

(No, not really. )

How can you chill out? what is there to do while chilling out but talk? (Or type as the case may be. )

I'm just too used to the sometimes frenetic pace of the Watch I guess. (To which I contribute as much as I'm able. )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

Maybe because my own life is so busy these days, I quite often prefer the peace and quiet of the Hangar. We might not have as many conversations going, but for the most part they make me think, and I actually find that to be relaxing. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:38 pm 
Master Pilot

I've been really out of it lately with my knee problems--and today I got the flu and a sinus infection so....

But I have been trying to read The Rise of Endymion (Simmons) and I ran across one of the most beautifully descriptive passages I've ever seen in my life in Chapter 12. Now Zindell's The Wild has great runs with ideas and colors splashing out of the page and into your head, but

Quote:*"Monosulfide or polysulfides," the comlog had said: well, whatever constituted these tawny cumulus in the diffuse daylight, sunset set them afire with rust-red light, brilliant crimson streaks, bloody tractus streaming away from the main cloud masses like crimson pennants, rose-colored fibratus weaving together the cirrus ceiling like muscle strands under the flesh of a living body, billowing masses of cumulus so white that they made me blink as if snowblinded, golden, striated cirroform spilling out fron the boiling cumulonimbus towers like masses of blond hair blowing back from pale, upturned faces. The light deepened, richened, became so intense that it brought tears to my eyes, and then it became even more brilliant. Great, nearly, horizontal shafts of Godlight burned between the columns, illuminating some here, casting others into shadow there, passing through ice clouds and bands of vertical rain on their way, spilling hundreds of simple rainbows and a thousand multiple rainbows. The shadows moved from bruise-black depths, shading more and more of the still-writhing billows of cululus and nimbus, finally climbing into the high cirrus and pond-rippled autocumulus, but at first the shadows brought not grayness or darkness, but an infinate palette of subtleties: gleaming gold dimming to bronze, pure white becoming cream and then dimming to to sepia and shade, crimson with the boldness of spilled blood slowly darkening to the rust-red of dried blood, then fading to an autumnal tawny russet. The hull of my kayak lost its glint and the parasail above me quit catching the light as this vertical terminator moved past and above me. Slowly these shadows crept higher---it must have taken at least thirty minutes, although I was too absorbed in watching to check my comlog---and when they reached the cirrus ceiling, it was as if someone had dimmed all the lights in the temple.

*It was one hell of a sunset.

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/30/06 7:46 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:31 am 
Lady Scryer

You feel better soon, Danlo! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:15 am 
The UnTitled

Sorry to hear you're still poorly danlo. Just take it easy.

Ah, I know what you're saying Duchess. I just like to talk. I even talk quickly and verbosely in real life.

And the type of discussions that I tend to have, here and at the Watch, are the ones that I never thought I could get enough of in real life, a lack which I mourned often.

Now, I can indulge in my love of interesting debate for near enough 10 hours a day, five days a week. Two years and I still haven't had enough.

It's half the reason I haven't looked much for a new job, even though the future of this company has been uncertain for almost a year. I have too much fun, and a new job would almost certainly not give me the latitude to do this all day as well as my work.

I'm posting in the 'Tank in one window, here in another, and working in a third... Actually, maybe I should try two keyboards... :

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've known a few people I can talk to about history and world affairs, but not many. And pretty much no one about literature since I left UM. Actually, the one person in the real world I can talk to like a lot of the people here and the Watch is my older son...though the little one is starting to really develop nicely in that way. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 am 
The UnTitled

Thats great. You gotta start 'em when they're young.

What I really like is the diversity of topics. (And I hear that about literature. I barely know anybody outside my family who reads, and fewer of those who enjoy sci-fi and fantasy. )

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i>Edited by: Avatar  at: 8/31/06 9:55 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:59 am 
Lady Scryer

I should add that those times I was able to share with fellow members here and from the Watch in the real world are among the best in my life.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:29 am 
The UnTitled

Wow, another quiet day huh? Oh well...hopefully you'll all think of something to say over the weekend.

Take it easy folks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next