Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: I Wanna Be a Bigfoot Hunter!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:16 am 
The UnTitled

LMAO!

Huh. Your mild is my hypothermia. Don't think I've ever personally experienced any temp below -5°C.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think the coldest it has ever gotten around here in the winter is in the -20's F as the temp, who knows what in wind chill. I do not know what that would be in celsius, and I am too lazy today to figure it out.

When it gets that cold, cars sometimes stop running at traffic lights, and if you have a metal watchband it will make a burn around your wrist (the former happend to my hub, the latter happened to me).

I surely would go hunt Bigfoot in Florida or Arizona in weather like that! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:46 am 
The UnTitled

That's just insanity. Why would you want to live somwhere so cold?

Here, it's a cold winter if you wake up and there's ice in the birdbath. Not frozen, mind you, just sorta iced over.

(Of course, there are places here (in the mountains especially) where it gets much colder than that, but I don't go there either.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:17 am 
Lady Scryer

I am about to head to bed, but remind me to tell you sometime about the winters Yoopers get in the northern part of my state. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:30 am 
The UnTitled

OK, I remind you.

( 30°C out today, calm, clear, cloudless.)

Post subject: bigfoot hunting
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

Last night we got a freezing fog. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. A heavy, wet fog that comes in at about freezing temperatures - so freezes a layer of ice on everything.

But after the fog burned off this morning, it turned into a gloriously lovely early winter day, complete with plenty of sunshine.

Let's see. Yooper winters...

There is a big penninsula that sticks up from the Upper Penninsula (UP) up into Lake Superior. That is where they get a lot of snow because of the lake affect. Michigan Tech University is up there in Houghton. The buildings have doors to nowhere on the second stories. Well - in the summer those are doors to nowhere. In the winter those are doors that lead out onto paths on top of the snow, and in really bad winters - tunnels in the snow that go from one building to another.

Up there people have two mailboxes. One is next to the road at the height you would expect for rural mail delivery via car. The other is the winter mailbox and is feet higher off of the ground, for winter delivery when the snow packs down in the road and the driving surface is raised up as a result.

Up there on that penninsula, the houses have stairs that go up to the roofs, so that the people who live in them can go up there and shovel off the roofs to prevent collapse.

Yoopers are tough and very friendly people. If you were to visit up there in the winter, you would be invited to visit a sauna. UP saunas are based on ones you find in various places in the Scandinavian countries. They are usually in a little shed in people's yards. They take off their clothes and pour water over hot rocks to make steam. When they get all hot and sweaty they then run out in to the snow and roll around naked to cool off.
<i></i>

Post subject: winter weather
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:15 am 
Lady Scryer

Avatar, here is a picture of my house in the winter:

i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/krobinettjones/winter-sun-house.jpg

This was taken on a rare day when the cloud cover wasn't...covering.

While we do not get anywhere the amount of snow they do in the northern parts of the state, we do get a bit from time to time. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: bigfoot hunting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:27 am 
The UnTitled

Thanks for the lovely pic Duchess. Looks cold

Quote:Michigan Tech University is up there in Houghton. The buildings have doors to nowhere on the second stories. Well - in the summer those are doors to nowhere. In the winter those are doors that lead out onto paths on top of the snow, and in really bad winters - tunnels in the snow that go from one building to another.

Uh...yeah...that's pretty mindblowing. I just can't relate. I have to leave this thread now and go stand in the sun...

(Not that I'm all that fond of the sun. On a sunny day, you'll find me in the shade. But if what you described is the other choice? Ha! )

--A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

Actually, herei t is both warm and sunny today. Warmest Decemeber I think I have ever seen or experienced.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

This was the warmest December in recorded history - most rain ever recorded, too.

Danlo has had it colder and snowier out there in Albuquerque!!

This is a good winter to go Bigfoot hunting in Michigan!! ******************************************************

<i></i>