Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I Wanna be a Bigfoot Hunter!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 am 
Lady Scryer

www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4610477

Quote:
Bigfoot hunter searches Arizona reservation
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated:11/06/2006 06:39:41 AM MST

Posted: 6:30 AM- PHOENIX - Reports of Bigfoot on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation in eastern Arizona have drawn a controversial hunter of the legendary creature.
C. Thomas Biscardi of Menlo Park, Calif., visited the reservation over the weekend for the second time this year to interview witnesses and organize a search.
In recent months, police officers have reported being chased by the creature, campers have said they spotted it and locals have said they caught it peeking in their windows.
"We're here for the white Bigfoot, the monkey-type creature with a tail, the one that was throwing rocks at people here," Biscardi said during a broadcast Saturday on the tribe's radio station. "I've got to tell you, people, it's here."
By day's end, at least half a dozen tribal members had told of seeing a strange beast, hearing blood-curdling screams in the night or other experiences. Several offered to join Biscardi's Searching for Bigfoot Inc. team on mini-expeditions.
While most backed out, 18-year-old Laramie Smith came forward to lead the team to a cave he found that he said could be the beast's lair.
The searchers had infrared and thermal-imaging devices, a Taser, a tranquilizer gun and a net-shooting cannon but found no cave or Bigfoot home. One team member picked up a stick and began beating on a log while another whooped to lure the beast.
"If they did not respond to the whooping and tree knocking, and there's no signs, then there's nothing here," Biscardi said.
Biscardi believes there are at least 3,500 Bigfoots nationwide, a number he derived by counting up one year of reported encounters, then subtracting suspected hoaxes and mistakes.
He has been trying to capture a specimen for 33 years, and his team has visited nearly every state in that quest.
Academic researchers are generally skeptical on the subject of Bigfoot. An Associated Press article last week quoted faculty at Idaho State University as they they are embarrassed by Jeffrey Meldrum, a colleague who believes in Bigfoot.
Stan Lindstedt, a regents professor of biology at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, said it is unfathomable that a huge subhuman creature would remain concealed over wide sections of the country.
"I put that in the category of mythology that can certainly make our culture interesting, but has nothing to do with science," he said.

I love to camp. I love to hike. I am tired of working hard for an honest living.

I wanna be a Bigfoot hunter.

I am so there.

In the winter when the weather sucks I can look for Bigfoot in warm climates like Arizona. In the summer, I can hunt for Bigfoot in cool places like Michigan's U.P. and northern Wisconsin!

I would never have to work again. People would give me money to go travel around the country and go camping!

If the money were to get low, I could ask a big man to dress up in an ape costume and take some fuzzy pictures of him. I am good at taking fuzzy pictures.

And how hard can it be to make whooping noises and beat on a log?

Then I could tell people with money "Look! I got close! I got his picture! I didn't get close enough to catch him, but look at these pictures!! Maybe next time if I whoop a little louder and beat on a log a little louder, I will get him!"

And I could get more money for years.

I wanna be a Bigfoot hunter! <i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 11/6/06 11:00 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: I Wanna be a Bigfoot Hunter!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:06 am 
Master Pilot

Thing is, a part of me still believes in Bigfoot. I respect that "serious" scientists don't care to waste their time on this subject, but I have a kind of reverse skepticism. I'm not one to vigorously defend the existence of the creature, but I'm not ready to give up on it either.

As far as a career as a Bigfoot Hunter...nah, I think I'll stay in the city. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

Ah, but the whole point of being a Bigfoot hunter is not to prove or disprove the existence of said beastie.

The joy of such things as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster is that they shall never be proven or disproven.

The point (to me) in being a Bigfoot hunter is to live a life of outdoor adventure and let other people pick up the tab.

I would still have to come to the city occasionally to get concert and theater fixes. Perhaps I could hunt for urban Bigfoot on those occasions. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Happy hunting, Duchess. "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:28 am 
The UnTitled

So that's where Duchess has disappeared to!

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:23 pm 
Master Pilot

A friend of mine in Reno (Robert Visser, who actually lived in S. Lake Tahoe) was big (heh) into Big Foot and cryptozoology in general. He even had some audio recordings to go with several interesting stories. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

One of my sisters was married to a Yooper for awhile. His Dad was a game warden in the eastern UP. He firmly believed without a shadow of a doubt, that Bigfoot lived in the Michigan Upper Penninsula wilderness. He told me he would see tracks and whatever when he would be out checking for poachers in remote areas.

Anyway, it's all set. We have made our plans. I will be in charge of looking for Bigfoot on hiking trails of the most beautiful national parks in North America. My friend Susan will look for Bigfoot at dance camps and at art colonies, especially in Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia in the mountains. My friend Jim will hunt for Bigfoot on golf courses throughout the US and Canada, with his trusty three iron ready to strike at need. We will all get together periodically to search for urban Bigfoot at various music festivals.

Now all we need is to begin the search for free money. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:22 am 
Master Pilot

EXCELLENT THREAD!!! My consumers and I will comb the tri-state area (For those who don't know, that's where NY, PA, and NJ meet). If Bigfeet are here, we're sure to find them!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:04 am 
Lady Scryer

That sounds great! You can visit the lovely waterfalls at hte Deleware Water Gap, and the beautiful wooded Catskills! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks for explaining, Highdrake. I had been wondering what the tri-state meant. Is that the only point in the U.S. where 3 states meet?

Anyway, too bloody cold now to be searching for subhuman creatures...unless city councillors count. Oh, wait, that's an insult to Bigfoot.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:20 am 
The UnTitled

Damn! If you're complaining that it's cold MM, I shudder to think what the temperature must be.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:36 am 
Master Pilot

I am trying to figure out what Avatar is referring to. "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:56 am 
The UnTitled

MW lives in a very cold place. He's casually mentioned temperatures of -8°C. If it's too cold for him to go BigFoot hunting, it must be really cold.

Post subject: I Wanna Be a Bigfoot Hunter!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

There's actually many places in the US that are called Tri-State areas. The one near here is where Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio meet. There is even a Tri-State University in a small Indiana city right near where the three borders come together.

And yes - it can get very cold in some parts of Canada in the winter. Cold hands, warm hearts. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: I Wanna Be a Bigfoot Hunter!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:23 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the tri-state info, duchess.

Av, it really hasn't been all that cold here so far. Looks like another mild winter ahead - for the 3rd or 4th year in a row! I'll slap the next guy who tells me global warming is a myth.

Anyway, I meant that it's just too cold for the particular activity of Bigfoot hunting! Sure, it's nice during the day, but it gets pretty chilly in the woods at night. Thanks, but no thanks. I can think of better things to do - preferably indoors - than skulking around in the forest in mid-November making funny noises in hopes of meeting the Hairy One. <i></i>