Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: hacker attack/ezboard issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:38 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, as far as I can tell, nothing at all has been restored to our board yet.

According to today's little newsletter, four of the five restoral processes are nearly complete, and everything should be done by the end of the weekend.

So I guess on Monday we will know what (if anything) we will have back?

Quote:
ezboard Attack Update - 06/15/05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ezboard Family,

The restoral process continues on schedule. Four of five steps are nearly complete across the network; the final step will reload all restored data. We still expect all steps to be completed through the weekend. At that point, we will then go to work on restoring all community financial data, addressing Gold Community credits and other financial questions, and sharing our plans for current system improvements and beta testing of the new product.

We are so very sorry for the time the restoral process has taken, and we hope that these updates have helped to reduce your anxiety. We greatly appreciate your patience and support, and want to complete this process as quickly and well as we possibly can.
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 6/15/05 10:03 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: ezboard issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Here's the very latest:

Quote:Please don't panic if your particular board has not seen data restored in the last day. Unfortunately it is taking time for the restoration process to propagate throughout to all servers in our systems. Set your expectations to seeing data by Monday. Please hold off on asking CS or me to clarify things about your board until next week. This will allow us to focus on getting your data back faster.
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:04 pm 
Master Pilot

And if you feel the board is moving very slowly today...it is *****

Post subject: ASOIAF BOARD IS RESTORED!! MAYBE THERE IS HOPE!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:41 am 
Lady Scryer

WOO HOO!!!!!

Earlier today their "other authors" forum had 3 pages -- now its back up to more than 10!!!

Maybe there's hope for us, too!!!

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: MORE GOOD NEWS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:The good news continues...

We continue to work through the last steps of the restoral process across the network, and have reports of a great many boards getting significant amounts of data back. There is more to come, as we have also begun restoring the newly located additional pocket of data.

Again, please don't panic if your particular board has not seen data restored in the last day. It is taking time for the restoration process to propagate throughout to all servers in our systems.

We continue to test the back-up and restore process and remain optimistic that you will experience much faster restores. More on this after we have the process nailed down and in production.

Post subject: Re: MORE GOOD NEWS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:22 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, nothing here yet, but the restoral of the ASOIAF board and dy's rush dragon boards yesterday are giving me hope. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:32 am 
Master Pilot

Err hate to bear bad news, but I just noticed we've lost a ton of posts in the Zelazny forum. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:39 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, we lost about 14 months worth in all of the forums at the time of the hacker attack...and two forums altogether...

Or do you mean since then? That even more are gone? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Posted: 6/18/05 12:05
ezboard Attack Update - 06/18/05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,

No additional news today – we continue through the last steps of the restoral process across the network, including restoring the newly located additional pocket of data.

The restoration process continues to propagate throughout all servers in our system. Your particular board may not have seen data restored as yet.

We continue to test the new back-up and restore process and remain optimistic that you will experience much faster restores.

Thank you again for your patience and we hope that our daily communications are helping clarify the status of the network.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:38 pm 
Master Pilot

duchess,

Yeah looks like even more are gone, because danlo's announcement there and other recent threads are gone, last time I checked.

edit: Oh looks like they've been restored! "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 6/19/05 6:40 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:05 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm glad they are back...and they are probably the only things restored on the entire board so far. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:36 pm 
Master Pilot

At least something has been restored!! oohmy A very good sign! *****

Post subject: hacker attack/ezboard problems
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Posted: 6/19/05 10:41
ezboard Attack Update - 06/19/05
Hello Everyone,

We continue through the last steps of the restoral process across the network, including restoring the newly located additional pocket of data. Once again, the restoration process continues to propagate throughout all servers in our system. Your particular board may not have seen data restored as yet.

We will provide a full and detailed report on network status tomorrow, including information on next steps following completion of the restoral process.

Thank you again for your patience and we hope that our daily communications are helping clarify the status of the network.

Well, the data is sure taking its time getting to our board, isn't it? <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:36 pm 
Master Pilot

today's message:

Quote:Hello Everyone,

After nearly three weeks of night and day work by your tech staff here at ezboard, we can tell you that by end of day today all content/threads/posts/data that is available to be restored will have been restored.

We are truly sorry for any content that is missing and while our words will not bring back that content, please be assured that we have changed our systems and implemented new technology to ensure that Gold Board content is backed up. For security reasons we are not divulging the changes we have implemented.

In addition to the back-up and restore improvements, we have also implemented new security measures designed to protect the site and your communities from future attacks. Some of these measures will result in slight changes to the way some boards operate. Most of you should see no changes whatsoever.

For some boards, posts were restored chronologically out of order. We will be sorting posts into chronological order tomorrow and Wednesday. We will be monitoring this activity to ensure that it does not create slowness on the boards. If there is slowness on the boards we will have to adjust the process and the sorting process may take more time as a result.

With the restore process completed, we are now turning our attention to the reinstatement of lapsed Gold Community subscriptions and Community Chest funds. The reinstatement of subscriptions and Community Chest funds will take at least a week or two. We will have determined plans for compensation to ezboard Gold communities this week.

Thank you especially to the thousands of ezboarders who took the time to e-mail their support to the team here. I want to share a few quotes from some of you: “We are extremely appreciative of what was restored and we can rebuild what was lost with what was saved.”

And (with apologies to Star Wars fans) one final note from someone who had an idea who the attacker may have been: “Best of luck in catching the criminal (and we both know that's what he/she is). Perhaps check your local cinemas and scan the theatre screening Star Wars. I'd interrogate anyone in costumes first – Storm Troopers and especially Chewbacca.”

We appreciate this ezboarder’s sense of humor. We also understand that the attack should not be taken lightly and that we all want to see the perpetrator caught and convicted.

On that note, we met again with the FBI today and are pursuing several leads. If you have any information that may lead to the conviction of an individual please e-mail it to: legal@ezboard.com. Please refrain from sending us conspiracy theories. The best information is IP addresses of the source of strange activities on your board and pointers to places where someone is bragging about taking down ezboard.

Thank you all again. We deeply regret the attack and the impact it has had you and your peers and we are very grateful for your patience and support through these trying times. We will be continuing our daily updates for the next while.

While not the most encouraging words--it still holds out some hope. Please be patient and keep posting--I'll hurl a major bomb at them if nothing happens by Friday. *****

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

All I can say is, I hope they give you 14 months of free gold board services, to go along with the 14 months of posts & threads that are gone, and that haven't been restored. ******************************************************

<i></i>