[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - gardening - veggies/herbs/flowers/fruit 2009

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: gardening - veggies/herbs/flowers/fruit 2009
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, this includes container gardening for those who plant in pots/containers in apartments or other rentals! :D

Thus far this year:

perenniels which have returned:
green onions
garlic
oregano
lavender
red raspberries
blackberries
cherry tree
various mints including cat nip
chives & garlic chives

things we have planted this year:
snow peas
cucumbers
cherry tomatoes
three kinds of peppers
broccoli
cilantro
lettuce

flowers currently blooming:
dafodills
tulips
grape hyacinth
trilliums
lilac

we had our windows open yesterday, and our whole house smelled of lilac :D 8)

(today is cold and windy, though, so our windows are closed)

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: gardening - veggies/herbs/flowers/fruit 2009
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 am 
Master Pilot

I've been thinking of planting a rosemary bush in the bare spot in front of the house so I could have fresh rosemary.

In other news, our mango tree is loaded with fruit for the first time since Hurricane Wilma hit. We are going to have a bumper crop. :mrgreen:

And the oak tree we transplanted, which looked almost dead (maybe half a dozen leaves) cause we forgot to water it while I was recovering from my surgery, has responded beautifully to regular watering and is now covered with new leaves. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:46 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:52 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:58 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Not at all weird, Menolly. It is a very common allergy. People who have this type of allergy are usually also allergic to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:06 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:20 pm 
The UnTitled

The GF hates mangoes. I love 'em myself. Never eaten it out of a jar though...best way to eat it is fresh and in the swimming pool. :D

Garden sounds great Duchess...I love cherries...and raspberries...and blackberries. :D

--A

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

We have strawberries as well. I forgot about them. In fact, on my next day off I have to go pull the grass out of the strawberry bed. :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
The UnTitled

I love strawberries too. :D

--A

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the tip about mangoes and poison ivy, MsMary. I should warn Batty.

MW, spiders are *good* bugs. They eat the other bugs. :mrgreen: Anyhow, if you keep your containers outside, the bugs wouldn't get into the house.

I planted a bunch of stuff a couple of weeks ago, and put all the indoor plants out on the balcony at the same time. I have an apartment with a northwest-facing balcony, so we don't get a whole lot of sun. I put in a cherry tomato plant but I don't have a whole lot of hope that it will do much. Still, we'll see. :)

As for the rest:

* 2 hanging baskets with pink geraniums, purple wave petunias, and white (regular) petunias
* 1 planter with a coleus, a blue/purple torenia, and a bright red tuberous begonia#
* 1 planter with a pink verbena, the leftover white petunias, and a dwarf Alberta spruce##
* In the red wagon, I've got individual pots of: cilantro; basil (the basil's from last year -- I kept it in the house over the winter); chives (which I've had for about 5 years now) and a sprouted garlic clove that might just survive; a bunch of bulbs that I got from a neighbor that produce a purple, trumpet-shaped flower; and a pot of dirt that might or might not produce lilies of the valley this year###.
* On the table, I've got a pink polka-dot plant and a plant I inherited that looks like a mini-schefflera. :) I've had both for a number of years. The polka-dot plant shoots out long, gangly stems which bloom like crazy, and then those die and the plant sprouts from the bottom again. I thought the mini-schefflera was a goner a few weeks ago -- it looked great over the winter, but then suddenly a bunch of leaves curled up and dropped off. Maybe I forgot to water it. :oops: Anyhow, I put it outside and it seems to be holding on.

# I had a similar setup in this planter last year. I *love* the look of the tuberous begonia. The torenia is God's gift to the mid-Atlantic gardener -- it's heat tolerant, loves humidity, doesn't mind if you don't water it every day, and the spent blooms shrivel away to nothing on their own.
## I bought the spruce tree at Yule to decorate the balcony, and figured if it survived the winter, I'd be ahead. It was doing great until I transplanted it; now it seems to have croaked. Oh well...
### I dug the lilies of the valley out of Mom's yard last spring. Last fall, I stuck the pot in the storage closet with the pot of bulbs, and now I'm debating whether that killed 'em. Something seems to be coming up in the pot, but it might just be weeds. Time will tell. :)

My books:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:50 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:20 pm 
The Timekeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:10 am 
Lady Scryer

Had a lovely taco dinner tonight featuring lettuce, cilantro, garlic, and green onions from our garden.

The lilies are starting to bloom and are simply lovely. :cloud:

Image Image Image