[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Winter is coming! BRRRRRRR!!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winter is coming! BRRRRRRR!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm 
Lady Scryer

It depends a lot on the company. Take my job (PLEASE TAKE MY JOB :wink: ). It is a hospital taking care of very ill people. They need to make sure enough staff on are on hand at any given time to do so. Yeah - they are anal about timeliness and number of sick calls etc.

Or take a factory with assembly lines. They would have to shut down the line and lose a boatload of money if too many people are late or missing.

So in some cases (hospitals, firemen, line workers, etc) where human safety and lives or the jobs of hundreds of people depend on timeliness I can understand the analness.

In many office jobs, however... :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:32 am 
Pilot

I know two people who've been fired for tardiness. Both are great friends but neither has a great work ethic. Late on numerous occasions. Don't care about work performance etc... So I suppose it stands to reason that they'd eventually lose their jobs anyway.

Sure it seems like a lame excuse to fire someone for being a few minutes late, but often it's because that person is repeatedly late. Unfortunately it could also be a manager's handy excuse to get rid of someone they're not happy with.

Anyhow...I'm sick of the snowy weather here in the Northeast US. I happen to work at an outdoor power equipment center and have been unusually busy servicing snowblowers. Although I'm thankful for the unexpected business, I've had it up to my neck with people crying for their snowblowers!! What did ppl do before these things were invented?? Spring where are you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:00 am 
Lady Scryer

Tell me about it. Where the heck is spring??? It is nearly March and we should be able to anticipate spring...but instead our second big snow storm of the year here in the Detroit area is due to hit tomorrow night. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 am 
Master Pilot

I basically don't start hoping for spring until April. Even then...
Still remember the April blizzard we had in '96. That was a doozy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, I can remember getting ten inches of snow one year in May for Mother's Day. It was eighty degrees and all melted just a couple of days later. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So yeah - we dream of spring in March, but can get snow on into April and May. :razz: :razz: :razz:

Storm came in hours early and as snow instead of the rain turning to mix turning to snow as they predicted. I think we will end up getting more than the 5-8 inches they thought we would... :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm 
The UnTitled

Only starts getting cold here round about May...cold as far as we're concerned anyway. ;)

--A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:27 pm 
Master Pilot

I remember when I was growing up in Indiana, I would look at the lovely spring coats they were selling for little girls for Easter, and my mom saying there was no way I'd be able to wear one for Easter because it would still be too cold. So yeah, plenty of snow and cold weather still in March and April where I grew up. And still a chance of frost at night until mid-May.

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 am 
Master Pilot

I used the wrong term: it really wasn't a blizzard that hit us in April '96, just a huge snow dump. I remember it starting innocuously enough at dusk as a gentle snowfall...but it got denser as the night went on, and the snow kept falling and falling. By morning, we were up to our knees in it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

Another huge east coast storm. We are only being brushed by the westernmost edge, but are still getting four or so inches from it. Maine down to Maryland and the West Virginia mountains are getting nuked with snow. :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:40 am 
Master Pilot

Luckily it's avoiding DC this time! :sky:

My books:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:13 am 
Master Pilot

Well, summer is officially over here in the southern hemisphere...

Here are the stats for my city for your interest :D

December:
Mean overnight: 11.4C (52.5F)
Mean daytime: 21.9C (71.4F)
Lowest overnight: 8C (46.4F)
Lowest daytime: 12.4C (54.3F)
Highest overnight: 16.8C (62.2F)
Highest daytime: 38.3C (100.9F)
Rainfall: 58.6 mm

January:
Mean overnight: 12.9C (55.2F)
Mean daytime: 24.1C (75.4F)
Lowest overnight: 8.3C (46.9F)
Lowest daytime: 19.4C (66.9F)
Highest overnight: 20C (68F)
Highest daytime: 36.5C (97.7F)
Rainfall: 14.4 mm

February:
Mean overnight: 13.7C (56.7F)
Mean daytime: 23.1C (73.6F)
Lowest overnight: 8.2C (46.8F)
Lowest daytime: 17.4C (63.3F)
Highest overnight: 21.2C (70.2F)
Highest daytime: 31.7C (81.1F)
Rainfall: 34.2 mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm 
The UnTitled

No it's not. It's still summer for ages yet. :lol:

Looks about comparable to here, except our lowest overnight temps are probably a little higher, and our highest daytime is a little lower. And more rain. A lot more rain.

--A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

It actually made it above freezing today, and the sun was out for a while. Some of the snow is melting. Makes me feel like spring might actually eventually happen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has been one of the mildest winters I can remember - up until about two weeks ago. Then we started getting socked by snow. We ended up having the fifth or sixth snowiest February on record, and all in the last two weeks. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am 
Master Pilot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next