[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - is anyone else ready for spring?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: is anyone else ready for spring?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:58 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

Autumn in Oz is a very nice time. The days are still warm enough for tshirt and shorts, then the sun goes down and you quickly get the cold moving in (though it never drops below about 10 degrees).
My carrots have just started showing above the soil, now all i have to do is keep the cats away from them for the next two months!

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:39 am 

My cats go after anything in the garden which I plant. I put all the catnip plants at one end to attract them but they don't touch those plants, just my veggies as soon as they come up!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:42 am 

I cleverly staked the places where my tomatoes would come up, so as not to disturb the young plants by having to stake later, but Bullwinkle and Jojo, our two moggies, had huge fun using the stakes as scratching posts, so that was a no no.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Brasidas, have you used the tomato cages instead? I can't imagine they would be used for scratching posts.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:05 pm 
Lady Scryer

The problem with my garden is not so much my cats (we have to keep the boys inside at this house, as we front a main road) as it is with the local wild deer and other varmint populations. For example, no one in this neighborhood can grow roses, as that seems to be gourmet food for the deer. They like to eat the green onions, of all things, right out of our garden. :roll: And I have to plant about a hundred flower bulbs- especially tulips - to get twenty to grow, because of the squirrels. :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm 

Those tomato cages look like a distinct possibility. Thanks Menolly. I actually used chicken wire to fence the tomatoes off, but Bully is 9kilos of muscle and I swear he was actually giggling as he uprooted the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 am 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 pm 
The Timekeeper

We're growing our tomatos upside down this year--called "Topsy Tursy" got them though Plow and Hearth catalog.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm 

I've seen those, but haven't ever tried them.
How are they doing, danlo?

~Avatar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:19 am 

Yeah, Bully was a rescue cat, been in the shelter for 18 months because he never presented well, he could be a bit grumpy and was never going to win kitty of the year competition. The staff at the centre said they'd found him hanging around the shelter when he was about 6 months old, and they reckon he was maybe semi-feral, which accounts for his size. At least I know the cats are eating healthy stuff anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:54 pm 
The Timekeeper

We're about to plant the topsy turvies so I'll let you know how it goes. Pity, though, I just heard the company went out of business. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:40 pm 
The Timekeeper

Well, I think I now know why they went out of biz-three of our plants died quickly. If you receive a package with the little red box that says, "as seen on TV" you'll most likely get scammed-unless you're into Chia Pets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:35 pm 

Bummer.

I am sorry, danlo. The concept sure is intriguing.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

One of my favorite late spring/early summer events has started happening the last couple of evenings - the fireflies have started coming out. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next