Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: could use some little help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:23 pm 
Pilot

hey all. You all know im new here on the forum. I'm bit by bit exploring all what's posted on here, but it's soooo much.

Could u give me some tiltles of books and films i really should read/watch?

secondly, what's 'orions arm' about? are they making a move or something?

greetz meta

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: could use some little help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:32 pm 
Master Pilot

It might help if you go to the Falling to Neverness forum and look at the introduction and the Glossary--that way u might get a better "feel" as to what the Hangar is all about. I highly recommend Neverness and the 3 books that follow; The Broken God, The Wild and War in Heaven. Many folks here have read such great Fantasy series as; The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the ongoing A Song of Ice and Fire series, The Chronicles of Amber and the Earthsea books. And of course the Lord of the Rings trilogy and movies. As far a Sci-Fi is concerned, again Neverness, The Hyperion books by Simmons, the Dune series-possibly Foundation..stuff like that... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Try this out: go to the Fenestering forums. Most of them have a stickied or pinned topic at the top about the author. Check these out and see what interests you. Look into the author, and his or her works. Happy hunting. Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:53 pm 
Pilot

thx, i checked in the library for david zindell but didn't found any books :s maybe still in translation...
if they dont come soon ill buy them <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't know, or remember where you're from but I do know that Neverness has been translated in2 French and that it's title is Inexistence. I would Google, or search for Harper/Collins and their website site--and they might be able to tell you if any other translations are available. *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:58 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:Neverness has been translated in2 French and that it's title is Inexistence.Cool ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:19 pm 
Pilot

but what's about orions arm? <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

Hmmm. I know you read and liked Dan Simmons's Hyperion books...
Have you tried David Brin's Startide Rising?
Dan Simmons's Ilium?
I know Mhoram would say Roger Zelazny's Amber series for fantasy...he also worte some great science fiction like Lord of Light...
Highdrake would say Ursula K. LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea and the rest of that series, also as fantasy, but she also wrote some great science fiction like The Lathe of Heaven...
For some really dark science fiction you could try Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series...for dark fantasy his books about Thomas Covenant...
For George R. R. Martin you might like his vampire novel, Fevre Dream or his fantasy series called A Song of Ice and Fire, which begins with the novel A Game of Thrones...
A very good book by C.S. Lewis is called Till We Have Faces...a retelling of the Cupid and Psyche myth...his Chronicles of Narnia is a children's classic, and his Space trilogy was fun...I am looking forward to reading his Screwtape Letters
Tolkien, anything is great...I love all of his stuff...I am sure you have either read or seen parts of the Lord of the Rings...
Tad Williams...Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is good fantasy...I don't know if he has written any science fiction...
And Zindell is marvelous and deep if you can find his work...I hope you can!

If you read through the general fantasy and general science fiction forums you will find mention of all sorts of other good books and lots of movies.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

Post subject: > Re: could use some little help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:47 pm 
Pilot

i've read already: Amber series, Earthsea series, Hyperion etc., Terry Brooks (some1 knows him out here, cause there is no forum about him), starside rising i've read too (but im waiting for the next parts to be translated ,... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: > Re: could use some little help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

George Martin is VERY popular in some European countries, you might have good luck finding his books in translation...I know there are many people from Germany and the Scandinavian countries at the Martin discussion board I belong to...
And I'm pretty sure some of Donaldson's books have been translated to French.
And your English is probably good enough to read Lewis's Narnia books untranslated, I think...they were intended for children, but I think they are fun for older people, too. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:07 am 
Pilot

and what about Jack Vance (think that was his name). His book Splinter was amazing

ps: when u make a forum bout him always want to be moderator :p <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:13 pm 
Master Pilot

I read Jack Vance a loong time ago--we do need to start a thread about him in General Sci-Fi (Which could eventually develope in2 a forum, if the interest is there)--feel free to start one Metadron and I'll help in anyway I can. I haven't been to the Orion's Arm website in ages will have to check it out again to see what's going on there. It was a huge, amazing transhumanist endeavour that was partially inspired by Zindell and a few other author's work. Ah Belgium I see... *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/16/03 8:18 am
</i>