[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Anne McCaffrey's Wonderful Dragons

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:09 am 
The UnTitled

Thanks Duchess. :D Will check it out.

(Hmm, don't think I've read it.)

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:24 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Having been a voice major myself in school, I loved the Crystal Singer series. The few email correspondence I've had directly with Anne involved that series. But, as my user name shows, I relate the most to the Harper Hall aspect of Pern more than any other. Even though those books are more YA than the others.

Av, I always recommend reading the Pern books and stories in published order. At least the first time through. Beorn likes rereading them in chronological order but will admit the suspense of whether Lessa will finally ride Ramoth in Dragonflight is ruined if you do so.

And the jumping back and forth between Passes gets confusing with the Moreta/Nerilka/Dragonsdawn, etc. books, and the ones that Todd has started writing thrown in. It can be overcome though.

Beorn enjoyed the Acorna series as well. That one was a bit too YA for me.

We both love the Talent/Tower and Hive series.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:43 am 
The UnTitled

Haha, I'm pretty much tone deaf, and can carry neither a tune nor a beat. :D I still liked the Crystal Singer books though.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

I would definately read the Pern books in order, at least in the "main sequence" - the ones that feature Lessa, F'Lar, F'Nor, Robinton, Jaxon, etc etc.

There is also a "duet" of books about Moreta and her times, which should probably be read at about the same time, as they tell parts of the same story through different eyes. Sounds like you have read one of the two already, Av, in Nerilka's Story (though in truth I liked the book about Moreta herself better).

There is also the book about how humans came to Pern (Dragon's Dawn), along with some associated short stories, and those should be read together as another cluster (those are a lot more science fictiony in tone and content than the others).

I'm not sure if it would necesarrily matter which of the three main clusters you would read first? And I'm not sure how the books McCaffrey cowrote with her son fit into all of this?

Here is a chronological list of the Pern novels and short stories:

Here is the suggested order for first time readers:

Note that the two lists are not in the same order!

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:48 am 
The UnTitled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:51 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 am 

*needing to look up Fort Hold's lineage of L-rds*

Are we going back to the time of Moreta again then? That's the only time of a Pern-wide plague I recall in the series.

I really hope Anne is very involved with this one, if it is involving The Harper Hall. I don't think Todd has her musical training at all and am afraid that may carry over into the portrayal of the Harpers. :(

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

I dunno - the talk of fire lizards and female apprentices in the Harper Hall makes me think that is must be either fairly early or very late in Pern history. :? Because, as you would know better than I, there is a huge chunk of time when neither of those desireable things was around. But it cannot be very late with [spoiler]talk of impending threadfall. :? [/spoiler] This description does not make a whole lot of sense to me, in fact. :?

I guess we will see, though. :lol:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:26 pm 

Well...IIRC, Kindan is the main character from Dragon's Kin, and he appeared in Dragon's Fire. So it looks like we're going back to that Pass, whichever one it was (I'll need to reread the books to figure it out).

I hope Master Zist appears again as well then. I enjoyed him.

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:52 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:26 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have always loved the Harper Hall as well, so chances are high that this book will either delight or appal me. :?

I think I might have missed a book. Which one is Dragonsblood? :?

It might be time to head down to the library. That is where I got the watchweir book from, but everytime I have thought to look, Dragon's Fire has been checked out. It is an old enough book now that should not ne a problem anymore, though. :) 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:58 pm 

~Avatar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next