Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: similar excellent books
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:05 pm 
Pilot

hi everyone, new member here - the names nicko. i am a fan of the earthsea series which i read about 5 years ago. i have read them many times since tho!

i was just wondering what book by other authors fans of le guin's books would recommend. i love reading about magic and dragons and wizards and castles - you know the stuff.

anyhow, please be nice to me, i plan to stay for a while and contribute my thoughts on le guin's excellent books!

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: similar excellent books
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:30 am 
Master Pilot

Welcome nicko!!!
Thank you for joining us here in the Immanent Grove!!

I've never read anything quite like Earthsea, of course, but I'm very fond of some Heinlein. Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough for Love are both great, and seem to have a similar feel in at least some ways. (Some Heinlein really stinks though, imo, so good luck.)

Most of us here met through our love of Stephen R. Donaldson's series of books called The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. I'll never recommend anything higher than those books, even if some things can be considered equal. The first book in that series is Lord Foul's Bane.

Lord of the Rings is, of course, a standard.

Frank Herbert's Dune books are usually ranked among the best, which I agree with.

danlo will very justifiably recommend Zindell's Neverness books with anything else, but they are out of print. You should still be able to find them, but not quite as easily as the rest. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:02 am 
Pilot

hey thanks for the welcome buddy

im very interested in those books your recommended, i just hope i can find 'em in the bookstores or wherever! i was thinking about the other fantasy magic kinda books that ive read and enjoy and i came up with this:

Chronicles Of Prydain (The Black Couldron & Sequels) - Lloyed Alexander
Master of the Grove - Victor Kelleher
The Satanic Mill - Otfried Preussler
Mythago Woods & Sequel - Robert Holdstock

thanks very much for your suggestions and i will endevour to find them! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:36 am 
Master Pilot

I'm not familiar with those books. So many books, so little time...

Have you checked out the General Fantasy forum? Plenty of other suggestions there! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

Have you ever tried:
Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy?
or
Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy?

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:00 am 
Pilot

hehehe yep, too many books not enough time

havn't read those books Duchess of Malfi, but will now keep my eye out for em. thanks for the suggestions! to light a candle...is to cast a shadow.<i></i>

Post subject: Hello Nicko!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:24 am 
Lady Scryer

You might especially enjoy the McKillip. It has a strong flavor of Celtic myth to it. They have come out with an omnibus edition of the trilogy in a trade paperback lately. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hello Nicko!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

I just reread McKillip's Riddlemaster books. I think anyone who likes the first three Earthsea books, in particular, would really like them. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Just had to read them b4 I could even start them, didn't you! (take that! ) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Now, now -- I read them because I thought you were in the middle of reading them, you silly Danlo!
Take that!!! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:02 am 
Master Pilot

Yeah, wasn't it the Friends of Man who named him Danlo the Silly? ____________

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

A couple of quotes here from Riddlemaster, in hopes I can get the Quote King to read it someday:

It is part of exchange between the two main characters, Morgon of Hed and Raederle of An, his beloved...

"I would do that for you if I could," she cried. "I would be mute, beautiful, changeless as the earth of An for you. I would be be your memory, without age, always innocent, always waiting in the King's white house at Anuin - I would do that for you and for no other man in the realm. But it would be a lie, and I will do anything but lie to you- I swear that. A riddle is a tale so familiar you no longer see it; its simply there, like the air you breathe, the ancient names of Kings echoing in the corners of your house, the sunlight in the corner of your eye; until one day you look at it and something shapeless, voiceless in you opens a third eye and sees it as you have never seen it before. Then you are left with the knowledge of the nameless question in you, and the tale that is no longer meaningless but the one thing in the world that has meaning any more." She stopped for breath; his hand had closed without gentleness, around her wrist. His face was familiar finally, questioning, uncertain.
"What riddle? You came here, to this place, with a riddle?"
"Where else could I go? My father was gone; I tried to find you and I couldn't. You should have known there was nothing in the world that would not change -"
"What riddle?"
"You're the Master here; do I have to tell even you?"
His hand tightened. "No," he said, and applied himself in silence to one final riddle game within those walls. She waited, her own mind working the riddle with him, setting her name against her life, against the history of An, following strand after strand of thought that led nowhere, until at last he touched one possiblity that built evenly onto another and onto another. She felt his fingers shift. Then his head lifted slowly, until he met her eyes again and she wished that the College would dissolve into the sea.
"Ylon." He let the word wear away into another silence. "I never saw it. It was always there..." he loosed her abruptly, rose and spat an ancient curse on one single tone into the shadows. It patterened the glass in the window with cracks like a spider's web. "They touched even you."
She stared numbly at the place where his hand had been. She rose to leave, not knowing where in the world she could go. He caught her in one step, turned her to face him.
"Do you think I care?" he demanded incredulously. "Do you think that? Who am I to judge you? I am so blind with hatred I can't even see my own land or the people I loved once. I'm hunting a man who never carried weapons in his life, to kill him while he stands facing me, against the advice of every land-ruler I have spoken to. What have you ever done in your life to make me have anything but repect for you?"
"I've never done anything in my life."
"You gave me truth."

Quote:"...You wanted a choice. I gave it to you. You could have taken the shape of power you learned from Ghisteslwchon: lawless, destructive, loveless. Or you could have swallowed darkness until you shaped it, understood it, and still cried out for something more. When you broke free from Ghisteslschlohm's power, why was it me you hunted, instead of him? He took the power of land-law from you. I took your trust, your love. You pursued what you valued most..."

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:08 am 
Master Pilot

Heh. OK, that's now #59 on my list. ____________