[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Dance With Dragons spoiler discussion

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Dance With Dragons spoiler discussion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Danlo:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:59 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I'm about halfway into this sucker, and now I understand why GRRM had to split AFFC into two books. Jeez, what was the guy thinking trying to write a single book that was this big? If he'd have done a part 1 and a part 2, with all of the chapters inter-woven, it would've have been almost unreadable. He must have 20 different POV characters in between the two books. It's much too big for a single book; he should've figured that out before he wrote 2000 pages and then had a massive panic attack.

I've never been a big fan of the Daenerys chapters, but jeez, they're killing me in this book. Nothing is happening in them at all, other than her getting sad about the giant mess she created. I wish someone would just kill her and put me out of her misery.

Love the Reek chapters. Those are the best of the book. I just finished the wedding one, and all I can say is that GRRM needs to see a therapist, and if he already is, he needs to fire that one and get another.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 am 
Lady Scryer

Gotta agree about the Reek chapters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yeah - he needs to pare down a bunch of his POV characters if he is ever going to finish this series. :( There are so many the pace and plot tightness are really starting to suffer in this book and also in AFFC. :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I'm getting near the end, and I have a feeling things aren't going to end up well for Selmy. The poor old guy is getting played worse than Ned.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 am 
Master Pilot

Interesting blog post about A Dance with Dragons (contains spoilers):

http://williamhenrymorris.com/2011/why- ... ons-works/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:33 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Just finished it, and although I loved the book, I've just got to fricking vent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:43 pm 
Master Pilot

FarmurTed I loved your rant and I agree completly with everything you said :sky:
Liked the book in general but as you some of it got on my nerves , cant see him finishing the rest in 2 books :idea: :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:22 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I don't see him finishing it in two, either; I'm not sure I see him finishing it at all, to be honest. I think my biggest problem with this book was that he didn't finish most of the story-lines; all he did was stop writing. It really seems like he was given a hard deadline to get a final manuscript, come hell or high water, and so he came to a decent end-point for Jon and Daenerys, but all the rest of the stories he just quit on.

I can't wait until Stannis torches Theon, though. I thought it was coming in this book, but I guess he'll do it in the next one before he finally attacks Winterfell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:46 am 
Lady Scryer

I also do not see him finishing in two more books with the slow pacing of AFFC and ADWD. :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Ok, so I was just looking through my Goodreads library (anyone else use it, lol?), and I noticed something that I'd never seen before: Was the name of this book really "A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire #5, Part 1 of 2)"? WTH? Or maybe I just clicked on the export version or something. I read the e-version, and I don't think I've ever even seen the hard copy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 am 
Master Pilot

The hard copy I have is just A Dance With Dragons. Next up is something or other about winter. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, indeedy, Duchess, I'm right there with you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
Lady Scryer

Has anyone else heard the wild rumors that in order to get GRRM to finish this book, his publisher had him fly to NYC for a "business meeting" and proceeded to lock him into a hotel room until he finished the book? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's probably not true, but it shows how inpatient so many people got with waiting for this book. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 am 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I suspect it's totally not true.

Has anyone been watching the HBO Game of Thrones series? I want to watch it but don't have HBO.