[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what do you want to see in Dance? (spoilers through AFFC)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: what do you want to see in Dance? (spoilers through AFFC)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think that in order to show GRRM is advancing his plot and has achieved something over the last ten or so years he has been writing this I need to see the following (at least some if not all of the following!!!) to ensure in my own mind that ASOIAF is not turning into a WOT slow paced epic dragged down in endless description and needless side plots:

* Dany had better end up either in Westeros, be on her way there, or at the least be deeply planning her invasion

* something needs to happen in the North - either some sign that the Others are active or something happens to get Jon out of his oaths if he NW (as he obviously must be if all the foreshadowing of the blue rose in the North is to be fulfilled)

* Bran had better find that three eyed crow and start his training!

* important stuff from the past had better start coming out or at least be seriously hinted at - Jon's parentage, the truth behind Rhaegar and Lyanna, etc. etc.

* the political situation in King's Landing with the two Queens needs to be cleared up in prep for the invasion from the east

Anyone else? Anyone else afraid of this turning into another bloated slow paced out of authorial control Wheel of Time? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: what do you want to see in Dance? (spoilers through AFFC)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:50 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

I want to know who/what Cold Hands is, and I definitely want to see Bran get his 3d eye. I'm a little worried, though, based on (mild spoiler; haven't read any true ones) .

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 am 
Lady Scryer

We actually have to be really careful right now - Amazon Germany accidentally shipped the book two weeks early, and I have been told that spoilers and book summaries ARE out there! So it might be easy to be accidentally spoiled!

Yes, knowing who or what Coldhands is would also be good!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:22 pm 
Master Pilot

I hoping for a lot of capters on characters Arya ( when if ever will she return to westeros), Samwell Tarly ,Jon Snow (alot could happen with his character) and eventually I got interested in Sansa charcter so abit more from here.Cercesi I dont care about . And as ye guys says more development of the Others .
Not asking for much am I :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

The book is huge - nearly 1100 pages (though that is the ebook version - not sure about the paper version). It is the second largest book in my e reader - the largest being a weird history book from the nineteenth century I downloaded from google books.

Given that the author is supposedly trying to finish this series in two more books after this one, it is critically important to me that there is a lot of plot progression.

That's not asking for much in a nearly 1100 page book is it? :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, huge book.

I was tempted to get the e-version, since I was on vacation when it came out, but my family would have killed me if I spent my vacation with them reading it. *laugh*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 am 
Lady Scryer

I think my family would think there was something wrong with me if I did not have a book along on a vacation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No internet on vacations, though. :wink:

Image Image Image