Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A couple of completely unrelated questions about ASOIAF
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:26 pm 
Master Pilot

1) Why did Old Bear Mormont take the black? He was a good, honest man, something that can't be said about half of the Sworn Brothers, and he was Lord of Bear Island; highborn. Why did he take the black?

2) I don't understand the whole old gods thing. I understand the Seven, and R'hllor, but the old gods are so vague! Are the nameless gods the weirwood trees themselves? Or is that shrine-type thing? Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: A couple of completely unrelated questions about ASOIAF
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

I cannot remember the details, but there is some sort of old scandal involving the Mormonts which resulted in the Old Bear going up to the Wall and his son going into exile overseas. I think it had something to do with slavery(maybe?) Ned as the judge (maybe?), and that the wrongdoing was more on the part of the son than the father?? And one of the ladies of the house becomes the new Lord of their family? Hopefully someone with a fresher read than I can come up with more accurate info for you.

As for the Old Gods, Martin hasn't really gotten into them yet as much as I would like. But it seems that they are NOT the trees to me -- So I think the trees are more of a shrine like thing? The Old Gods seem to be the ones who sent the direwolf pups to the Stark kids...but their power doesn't seem to extend to the south?

Wait until you read Arms of the Kraken and get to see worshippers of the Drowned God in action!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:39 pm 
Master Pilot

I forgot about the Drowned God!

I remember Jorah was exiled for slaving and Ned was the judge, but I didn't know the Old Bear was involved! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm not entirely sure that he was...hopefully someone who has read Game and Clash more recently than I have can answer that question?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>