Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Storm of Swords Chapts 1 & 2: Prolouge/Jamie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:17 pm 
Master Pilot

(After I wrote this I realized that I had mistakenly written a recap of Tyrion's situation @ the very end of A Clash of Kings...whoops!)

I perused the hardcover at the bookstore the other day and thought, I may be wrong, that chapt. one in the prolouge has to do with a recovering Tyrion and man is he in bad shape or what? He berates the Maester believing he works for dear Cersei rsei and finds out from his serving boy...the one who saved him...that daddy:tyrell now occupies the Tower of the Hand. He makes the Maester cut off his mask and then arranges to be moved, but he really is in bad shape...

At least that's what I remember from three weeks ago--I have to run out on my lunch hour today and buy the paperback--I'm terribly xcited! Will someone who has actually read the ENTIRE chapter please take it away? Thanks!!!

Changes in the Martin 4rum: 1.) I've now re-titled "read-a-long begins March 4th" thread 2 "ASOS Group Read News"--please address questions, concerns and VOLUNTEER 2 lead chapters in that thread 2.) The cover image of A Feast for Crows is now down on the bottom of the page (scroll all the way down 2 the Neverness bookcovers, it will upload eventually)! I figured we'll be creating alot of chapter topics and that image automatically pops up in EVERY topic that has 2 or more pages 2 it...(the way it was previously set up)...that would make the 4rum 2 big and 2 confusing...so now there is only 1 AFFC cover image on the "closed topic" function, which we don't use on this page anyway...:zzz

So have fun and please try not 2 spoil!!! (if u must please use the spoiler-hide function) :drag And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/4/06 10:00 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: A Storm of Swords Chapter 1--Group Read begins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'll be reading along with my hardcover, so our pages, etc. probably won't match up...but we'll all figure it out as we go!

My prologue is set north of the Wall, among the Night's Watch, mostly seen through the eyes of Chett, a convicted murderer and general scumbag. He's out hunting bear with the dogs, and also hunting a different sort of bear in secret with a few of the others of the Watch. He's pissed off at Jon Snow and Sam Tarly because Sam has taken his job away as helper to Maester Aemon. So Chett has gathered some of the other discontents and they plan an uprising and escape that very night. But things start to go wrong...

The Old Bear, the Lord Commander, comes out and addresses the men, reminding them of their Vows. Quote:Remember your words, brothers. For we are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls, the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakens the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
Soon after a fresh snow begins to fall, which will make escape impossible. Chett decides to murder Sam anyway, and as he creeps up on the poor kid, the horns of the men on guard begin to blow. Once, which would mean the return of scouts, then twice, for a call to arms, a possible attack by the wildings, then three times, something not heard for thousands of years -- an attack by the Others!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: The Great News and The Bad news!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:25 am 
Master Pilot

OH no u're right Duchess!!!...oh crap I recaped the epilouge from Clash! That may b a good thing, in a way, but jeez I'm, like, totally embarashed! Thank Gods u're the only 1 to respond so far...the Timekeeper has emitted a serious brain-fart!

A Religious Xperience: Oh it was byond cool! There I was @ 10am @ Bookworks asking 4 A Storm of Swords...Saying by all my sources it is scheduled 4 release 2day. And then he went in2 the backroom and brought 4th a big brown package from Bantam/Spectra and drew 4th a spanking fresh copy of the 1128 page A Storm of Swords!!!! I was The 1st kid on my block, I was the satiated, crazed. Martin junkie, I have been the happy camper all day!

U're right Duchess, and we've got 2 get Lord Foul here right away! Chett's schemings, Rayder on the march, 3 blows on the horn!!! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time---this is THE best opening chapter 2 ANY book I have EVER read!!!!!!!

Query: Should we do this Read 2 chapters @ a time?They r kinda small, relatively. But this chapt was so intense it, in itself, equals an entire Jordan book! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/8/03 11:12:35 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:23 am 
Master Pilot

Amazon has the book on the way, but I read the prologue at Borders. The end of the prologue picks up the pace. All I'll say is that it seems to have put a serious obstacle in the way of Chett's dream of living like Craster.

The P.O.V. for the first chapter was a surprise. I was hoping to see his head in a box. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:42 am 
Lady Scryer

Danlo, would you like to have the honor of doing the Jaime chapter?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:"I want none of your thanks Kingslayer. I swore an oath to bring you safe to King's Landing."

"And you actually mean to keep it?" Jamie gave her his brightest smile. "Now there's a wonder."

I can't remember if it was here, at Kevin's Watch or at ASOIAF...**is a little groggy this morning**...I think it might have been at KW, but some discussion was going on about Tyrion and somehow this subject was brought up: Some 1 said yes Tyrion is quite a unique fantasy character w/all his strenghts and quick mind despite his size and deformities but have we ever seen a female fantasy character in a lead that wasn't drop deap gorgeous? Well 2 u, who ever said that, I do believe Brienne of Tarth is begining 2 emerge 2 fit that bill...

It might have been here somewhere, it may have been Zahir who said it...come 2 think out it where is Zahir?

Anyway, what change of pace! I didn't expect things 2 change so quickly from a zillion wildlings rumbling down the frozen Milkwater to a tiny boat on the Red Fork w/one of my fav characters in it...but ah that's the beauty of Martin: xpect the unexpected. I was being faceitous, let's see who do I dislike more Jamie or Theon? Probably Theon..at least Jamie has 1/2 a clue and a backbone but he'll still deliciously revolting. I 4 1 wouldn't b upset at Jamie rotting away in the dungeons 4 the rest of the series...but u have 2 admit his freedom will throw a serious monkeywrench in2 the whole thing. It will definately stir things up and could lead 2 the creation of quite a...dare I say it (?)..storm!

Despite her "homliness" I think I'm falling in love with Brienne (then again I did have the longest crush on Cory Everson, oops! ) she's tuff, determined and has honor. Quite a juxtaposition 2 Jamie the monster! p.s Cleos "the weasel" IS a lickspittle!
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/7/03 5:46:39 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

When we were having that conversation about how too many women in fantasy books tend to be super-model beautiful, I never actually thought about Brienne. It is true, perhaps, that she is not physically attractive, but to me she is so honest and honorable in a world where so few people have those qualities, I never think of her as being ugly!

One important line for later in the book:Quote:Or that wisp o' the wood Beric Dondarrion, though I'd heard he kills only soldiers. Lord Beric becomes important later on the story! Also note that it is Stark supporters who have murdered those women!! The theme of the horrors of civil war will be explored in depth by Martin, particularly through the eyes of Arya.

One thing that begins to come clear in theis chapter is the depth of feeling Jaime has for Cersei. Quote:Jaime left brothels and whores to his brother Tyrion; Cersei was the ONLY woman he has EVER wanted. and Quote:An east wind blew through his tangled hair, as soft and fragrant as Cersei's fingers. and Quote:All Jaime had wanted was an hour alone with Cersei. Their journey north had been one long torment; seeing her every day, unable to touch her, knowing that Robert stumbled drunkenly into her bed every night in that great creaking wheelhouse.

Another thing that becomes clear, and which shows Jaime in a much more positive light is his love for his baby brother, Tyrion. He thinks of his brother as much as he thinks of Cersei.Quote:Tyrion is going to laugh himself sick when he hears how I slept through my own escape. and Quote:Tyrion had done his best to keep him in a good humor and Quote:Tyrion could think of something clever now,but all that occurs to me is go at them with a sword. and most of all Quote:He remembered the pail Lady Catelyn had kicked over in his cell. A strange woman, to trust her girls to a man with @#%$ for honor. Though she was trusting him as little as she dared. She is putting her hope in Tyrion, not in me. "Perhaps she is not so stupid after all," he said aloud.

One thing I have always wondered about is how much Cersei returns Jaime's feelings.Quote:The reflection in the water was a man he did not know...I don't look as much as Cersei this way. She'll hate that. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:16 am 
Master Pilot

Well don't want 2 hog thread as we need some fresh meat in here, but yes I've never fully realized (maybe I thought it was more of Tyrion's pipedream--especially after being set up by Jamie in his "marriage") until now that Jamie really does care 4 his brother. I still have no mercy 4 Jamie's love 4 Cersei--and what he did 2 Bran was absolutely un4giveable! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:10 am 
Master Pilot

Jaime does seem to respect his brother. Which is something the others in his family don't seem to do. One point for, still many against. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

That whole Bran incident is the thing I can never get over, either. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: Re: A Storm of Swords Chapts 1 & 2: Prolouge/Jamie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:14 pm 
Pilot

Well, for me, the picture that Martin painted of Jaime wasn't a surprise at all. Any human being has a capacity for good, and anybody can find humanity in another person, much like a dog can sniff out fear.

And in a realistic setting, no matter how slimy or evil the antagonists appear to OUR EYES, there is always more beyond their hard exteriors. In fact, in a real world tale, there usually are no antagonists or protagonists. ASoIF is very much like that, but not totally.

Anyway, the contrast between the Jaime we saw on the outside, talking to Catelyn in that dungeon, and the Jaime we saw in his first POV chapter, was a rather stark contrast... On the surface, in Kings, Cat and I saw the Kingslayer. But /inside/, there was something very different. Isn’t there always? Just ask the hamster!

And of course, there are many things he did I still can't sympathize with, and many thoughts I still can’t understand. But it’s not our job to understand /everybody/ in a book, for crying out loud... Hey, at least Jaime had his reasons, like any sane individual. Joff, on the other hand...*Grumble*

PS. This is Lord Foul, by the way! Danlo asked me over, and I’m very impressed with this message board and its “inhabitants”. Glad to participate, and also good seeing regulars from the Watch here too. Anyway, I’m not so good at this group reading thing, but experience is my teacher, sooo.... Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?<i>Edited by: William Smit IV  at: 3/7/03 3:28:03 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:35 am 
Lady Scryer

welcome and true! and you're doing quite well with this group read thing! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:45 am 
Master Pilot

Welcome.

The name is different, but the face sure looks familiar.

Excellent point on Jaime, on seeing the world through his eyes.

BTW, my copy of ASOS arrived today, so I don't have to sneak over to Borders to read a chapter. I must admit I was a little alarmed when I found out that Amazon sent it out by USPS. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:51 am 
Pilot

Hate to sidetrack from the group reading, but the name “William Smit IV” is there because I’ve actually been registered to these boards (ezBoards?) since September of 2000... Predates even my Covenant craze! When I came here for the first time, I realized this was an ezBoard when I saw my old account logged in!

Anyway, when I registered back in 2000, it was for a video game message board dealing with an Ultima Online guild. Very long story, but my name in the game was the aforementioned Smit, soooo.... It doesn’t matter, but if there were a way, I’d change this account’s name to LF. Or I might make a new one...*Shrug* “Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?”<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:10 am 
Master Pilot

Hoot and begorin' (being 2/3rds Scotch 1/3 Irish I'm allowed 2 do that! ) Yea!!!! Lord Foul is here @ last!!! And he's the 100dreth member of da Hangar!!! Honors all around! Drinks all around! We've finally achieved 100 members 21 days out from our 1st anniversary and we get the distiguished gentleman from Georgia 2 boot!! The Timekeeper could NOT b happier!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/7/03 7:15:59 pm
</i>