[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - ASOS chapters 22 &23 Arya/Dany

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASOS chapters 22 &23 Arya/Dany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quote:I am not a lady...I'm a wolf.

In chapter 22 Arya is traveling with Gendry and members of the Brotherhood without Banners looking for Lord Beric. Everywhere they go people tell them he has been killed in one way or another Quote:"He's dead." The woman sounded sick. "The Mountain caught him, and drove a dagger through his eye... and Quote:The Lannisters caught Lord Beric near the Gods Eye. He was hanged. Everytime the Brothers say that the priest Thoros saved Beric in time, and that Beric is alive...they claim that he is a very difficult man to kill.
To add to the general madness of the Riverlands, now the Karstarks are doing their part, wandering around looking for Jaime...
One important passage of foreseeing happens in this chapter throug hthe eyes of a tiny little woman who lives on a high hill, and who shares her visions for a song...
Quote:"The old gods stir and will not let me sleep," she heard the woman say. "I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror."
I'm pretty sure that the first one talks of Renly and his murder by the shadow baby, and I think the last one refers to the Red Wedding's aftermath (I can't say more because I don't want to spoil) but what does that middle one refer to???
At the end of the chapter the Brothers take Arya to Acorn Keep and lady Smallwood, who bathes, dresses, and fusses over her, much to Arya's wolfly disgust. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 22 &23 Arya/Dany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:46 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quote:Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.

This Dany chapter finds her in the slaver city of Astapor. I will leave this important chapter for others to discuss, with its heartbreaking story of how little boys are molded into the the Unsullied Quote:Eight thousand Unsullied they would offer me. Eight thousand dead babies. Eight thousand strangled dogs. and the important debate on honor and leadership between Dany and her chief advisors.

To me two of the chief underlying stories, points that Martin dwells on, so to speak, in this book and series as a whole are honor and leadership -- and this chapter had a good discussion and debate on both. yes, these are great fast-paced adventure stories, but they are also SO MUCH MORE! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:15 pm 
Pilot

That middle image of the dream puzzles me, although the idea of someone without a face does ring some bells somewhere... Then again, maybe its someone who's face is hidden for some reason?

Oh, and for the record, the whole idea of the Unsullied both impresses and freaks me out something fierce.

And can I mention how cool it is that Martin spends time on the refugees, the innocent bystanders any war? "GOD created Man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, returned the courtesy." -Voltaire<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh yes, very few authors dwell on the horrors of war for the common people. He shows both sides - -the glamor and honor of Robb, but also how his men are no better the the Lannister followers Quote:wolves or lions, it makes no difference. That is all part of the leadership debate for me. Just not the battles, not the glamour of court -- but how are the lives of the little people affected by you and your followers?

This is one of the points debated by Dany and her advisors in this very chapter. Has any other would-be monarch of Westeros shown that much concern for the little people as Dany shows here ? Is it because she lived so much od her life as a pawn and a refuge herself? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:47 am 
Master Pilot

The Unsullied's training really freaks me out--but the idea, at least, of Dany being willing 2 free slaves has raised her a considerable notch in my book! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:58 pm 
Pilot

Agreed about Dany. She certainly becomes sympathetic to those who are being used and abused. I thought it was wise of her to get the Unsullied. That way, only she commands them. Their loyalty is to her alone. I think, as a queen, that is of the utmost importance. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Has anyone noticed the deep emotional connection Dany has forged with her dragons, especially Drogon? When she is restless the dragons are restless as well...when she has an orgasm, she can't tell if the resulting noise is something she has done or Drogon...makes me wonder if she is a warg...but at the same time it seems different from Bran and Summer, more of a deep emotional bond rather than seeing out of each other's eyes... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:15 am 
Master Pilot

Drogon empathic 2 orgasm (?)-definately something brand new in the dragon/fantasy lexicon! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:24 am 
Lady Scryer

Actually not...in McCaffrey's Pern series, the dragons and their humans definately enjoyed it when their partner mated...though the effect of the dragons mating seemed to much stronger than when the humans did Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image