Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What about Joan?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Who is Joan Macht Covenant? We don't really kno much about her, but I suspect we are going 2 learn a lot more when the 3rd Chrons come out. Well: we know that she's a Horse-Whisperer, some1 with the ability 2 communicate with horses, sense their needs and have incredible patience in breaking and training them. Did she ever have patience w/TC? It seems so, @ least while he's writing his 1st book--but was it patience, a pink cloud or an extended honeymoon? We definately get the feeling that TC was very much in love w/her, but we kno little 2 nothing about how she felt 4 him. Aside from the phone call she makes 2 TC in TIW she never really makes any attempt 2 deal w/him--yes in TWL we hear that she has developed somekind of hole in her soul that religion or the commune couldn't fill--it may appear that she is really a rather heartless person. Perhaps the problem is that she's 2 much like a sad majority of people in the world that r in love w/the ideal of being in love. Perhaps her love 4 TC was superficial, but she felt that given success, a family and time it would develope. There's really 2 much we don't kno: we don't kno how they met--about all we kno is that Joan is physically attractive, short, works w/horses, went 2 church, joined a commune, her parents live about 6 hours away, is Roger's mom, left TC w/hardly a word and was possessed by Lord Foul. Perhaps the difference btween Joan and Linden is that Joan loved TC 4 his potential and Linden loved him 4 who he was...Perhaps her love was superficial--TC felt his book was superficial, perhaps leposy was a "wake-up" call from a potentially superficial and meaningless life--that, un4tunately way 2 many people xperience, or settle 4... How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/14/02 12:44:54 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: What about Joan?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:20 pm 
Pilot

Hmm, good questions, Danlo!

Yes, Joan strikes me as a superficial sort, and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's because TC's disease scared her so much that she left him, and then restricted him from all contact with his son. Instead of learning about his disease and sticking around to help him, she bailed....

And then, when Foul possesses her -- I know she's sick and all, but she's so, I dunno, not very deep. Her reactions are just so wimpy. And she allows TC to sacrifice himself to save her -- nice one.

What the heck did TC ever see in her, anyhow? Was he drawn to her beauty?

How could somebody who was so sensitive to horses be so insensitive to her husband?

More questions than answers, I'm afraid.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:34 pm 
Master Pilot

The problem with Joan is that SRD never really developed her character, so we don't know much about her.

She comes off as rather shallow, though, as has been said, TC seemed to really love her. The one thing about her that I really didn't respect was her abandoning of TC when she found out that he had leprosy...though I do understand her fear for her son. Leprosy is not all that contagious, however, and I wondered if that was true about a person being more likely to get it if they were exposed as children.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:38 pm 
Master Pilot

You maybe right .. we may here more of Joan in the 3rd chons .. at least we know she has been institutioanlised .. and LA is her legal guardian ..

I think Joan is shallow .. and her lack of depth and loyalty obviously deeply affected her ability to cope .. the guilt she inflicted on herself seems to have pushed her over the edge .. be hard to live with some of the decisions she made ..

LA must have felt a great deal of empathy for her .. to have taken her on as her personal responsibility .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Perhaps as Linden attempts 2 begin 2 heal the Land TC's "presence" is 2 some degree included in the Land's benign, reciprocated, gift of gratitude 2 her. The Land can have a profound effect on people--as it def did on TC btween the 1st & 2nd Chrons--so I'm sure LA will b altered, in our reality, in a big way! Perhaps part of TC's spirit, wherever it is--and perhaps the ring itself--only add 2 that empathy. How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:24 pm 
Pilot

Aliantha wrote:
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> How could somebody who was so sensitive to horses be so insensitive to her husband?

I'd have to agree with that whole heartily ~ I'm not suggesting that she should of stayed, that had to of been a difficult decision, especially with a child's involved ~ But there were more sensitive ways to handle the situation!! :">

It's true that Donaldson told us very little of Joan & I'm sure that she had her good qualities. But the one thing that really struck me about her was Covenants reaction to her late night phone call <b> <i> "...she'll never forgive me for doing this to her..."</i></b> She'll never forgive him for tripping & knocking himself out on the coffee table??? That's pretty rigid!!

-Coercri

<i>Edited by: Coercri2 at: 6/15/02 2:33:33 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:57 am 
Master Pilot

haha definitely!! .. but you know he probably did it on purpose just to get up her nose!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:32 am 
Pilot

Of course, how could I of missed that?? <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:43 am 
Master Pilot

and seriously it goes a long way to explaining the relationship TC 'revered' .. strangely .. Joan demanded a lot of him .. when she left him so he could write the next book .. did she think he could just plug in and have the creative juices running .. I wouldnt be at all surprised if one of the reasons his creative juices dried up was because of her change toward him after the birth of Roger .. and beyond that .. TC describes her wanting Roger .. in a way that seems unreasonable .. TC was in no hurry to have a child .. but Joan was .. I wonder if that was some insecurity on her part .. that she misguidedly believed having a child would set aright? She didnt even consult him re: naming his son .. she chose Roger and TC tells us that he has never even liked that name .. so their seems to be some definite relationship issues there .. that they didnt even communicate effectively their desires and wishes .. all very worrying .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:29 pm 
Pilot

"TC tells us that he has never even liked that name"

:"> What's wrong with my name?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Sorry once again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:16 pm 
Master Pilot

In some way TC's marriage is more bizzare the alot of what goes on in The Land, but, again, there's so much we really don't know about it... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:25 pm 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> I think Joan is shallow .. and her lack of depth and loyalty obviously deeply affected her ability to cope ..

I don't know if I agree with that, Sky. I said "Joan comes off as shallow," but we don't really know enough about her to know whether she really is shallow. I suspect she is not. I suspect, also, that she is a strong-willed person.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: MsMaryMalone  at: 8/13/02 10:43:36 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:23 pm 
Master Pilot

well of Jpan we dont see eye to eye .. To me so much points to her superficiality .. her abandonment of TC in his time of need .. her concern re his writing .. and as I come to think of it .. really Joan abandons TC far earlier than when he is diagnosed with Hansens disease .. she began drifting .. when his creative genius began waning .. or needed recharging .. I forget now . will have to read those chapters again .. but TC describes her lack of interest as beginning shortly after 'Roger's' birth .. and as Cov jr .. said .. TC did say he didnt even like the choice of the childs name .. and yet it would seem that TC's opinion wasnt really that important to Joan .. I dont know .. I get the feeling that when TC was writing and being successful she was more settled and maybe happy .. but when things were not progressing the way she expected them to .. her interest in him waned .. health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: joan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:08 pm 
Pilot

I dont think Joan is a shallow person, and I dont think she was insensitive to Covenant. Listen, out yourself in her shoes. Shes not insensitive, shes afraid. She calls him on the phone....wonder what they would have said to eachother, if Elena hadnt called him back as well, lol. Heres a ?, what was her condition after Covenant saved her? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: joan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:44 am 
Master Pilot

well .. she ran very quickly out of the wood .. and made her escape .. she may not even have looked back (while TC was staring into a dagger intended originally for her) .. yeah yeah I know .. LF was just using her to get to TC - but it worked .. He was always there for her .. a pity it didnt work the same way in reverse.

We dont know much of her since that .. but it is rumoured that in the 3rd chrons that she is a patient in a mental hospital .. that being the case .. well .. it would seem .. that perhaps she always suffered a mental illness or a propensity for one .. or wracked with guilt after TC's sacrifice on her behalf and her possible possession by LF .. effected her mentally ..

And as for her shoes .. that is too easy a defense .. what about TC's shoes?? .. we know he had them? right??

no really .. sure being a mother she was concerned for the well-being of their son .. well that carries her for the period after she left TC .. but what about naming of Roger?? What about her shoes then?? Roger was <b> her</b>son so she had the right to choose a name TC didnt even like .. or have a child that TC wasnt even sure he was ready for??

and as far as giving him space to get down and get a novel knocked out!! .. What about her shoes there? She needed to encourage him to earn his keep?? Sure .. why not .. but there seems to have been an undertone .. somewhat lacking in lovingness .. in her expectations of him.

Him contracting Hansens disease .. is like the last straw .. Didnt she consider his needs in her decision to abandon him? Divorce him?!!??? what happened to in sickness and health?? .. oh yeah thats not so popular now .. but then it was ..

why would she need to DIVORCE him because he has contracted an incurable disease? Only for herself .. what would it hurt for Roger to still have his mum married to his father?

apart from that one phone call .. how often did she speak to him after she left him? How often did she check in to see how he was going? Was this a marriage??? .. or just a contract of convenience .. that became horribly inconvenient?

Much is left unexplained .. when it comes to Joan .. TC did harbour some bitterness of his own when it came to Joan ..

I am sure she had her story .. but doesnt everyone .. even TC had his story .. and his shoes!! health and healing<i></i>