[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Fatal Revenant part one chapter six - EXTREME SPOILERS

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fatal Revenant part one chapter six - EXTREME SPOILERS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:41 am 
Lady Scryer

I thought that this chapter sounded really familiar when I started reading it and it was !

Danlo once heard Donaldson read fom this very chapter at a convention and his report can be found here:

However, I can tell Danlo right here and now that Donaldson only read a part of this chapter - and the least important part - at that convention. :shock:

Hang on to your seatbelts! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

[spoiler]

At the end of chapter five, Linden has been sent somewhere and somewhen through the power of the fake Covenant and the fake Jeremiah (and yes, I will have lots of egg all over my face if they turn out to be the real deal! :lol: ).

At the beginning of chapter six, Linden is reeling. She finds herself in the middle of a brutal winterscape, in an unknown place and time, though she can "feel" that she is still in the Land.

An increasingly nasty Covenant and a poweful stranger called the Theomach are with her, and there is no sign of Jeremiah.

Coevant and the Theomach (who I think must be of that mysterious race of wizards that Jeremiah was talking about in chapter three) argue, and the Theomach makes Covenant give Linden quite a bit of information, under threat of revealing him to Linden (who Covenant still forbids use of the Staff - which is obvious weirdness in that he and Jeremiah just used an amazing amount of power themselves).

Linden learns the history of the early coming of humans to the Land, and the war between the kings and the forrestals of Garroting Deep.

And she learns of the bloody civil war that Berek now fights in.

Yes, she is back in the time of Berek. :faints: And he is nearby. :faints: In fact, she is standing on a huge number of war dead, entombed under the snow... :shock:

Berek has faced his test in the slopes of Mount Thunder, but the war continues... :shock:

Jeremiah joins them at some point, like Covenant becoming nastier all the time. He says that Esmer had tried to keep him as a prisoner, but that he had defeated Esmer.

So you really want me to believe that someone powerful enougth to defeat Esmer cannot be touched by Linden, or endure the use of the Staff of Law? Spare me!!! This thing is lying its head off! :evil:

It turned out that the Theomach has diverted their time gate. They were supposed to come into the Land in the time of High Lord Damelon. Covenant was sneak into Melenkurrion Skyweir after Damelon, hide there after he leaves, and drink the Earth Blood so he can encase and imprison Lord Foul and Kasty in a time tomb.

Like I believe what Covenant says about his motives to travel to Earthroot. :? Oh, I believe the Earth Blood part of it. But this fake Covenant surely will not use the power to hurt Kasty or Foul... :x

Esmer told Linden that she must be the first to drink the Earth Blood. he knows exactly what the Covenant thing has in mind. Esmer serves two masters - Linden and Kasty. Is this further proof (along with all the references to fire in Covenant's eyes and the way he effortlessly warms up the freezing Linden in the snow) that this Covenant imposter serves Kasty?

When he told her that he was clearly good Esmer. And the ur-viles are painfully faithful to Linden. SO what was the interference with the time gate all about by the ur-viles. Protection for Linden against the nasty duo? And why did Esmer interfere this time? Aid or betrayal?

[/spoiier]

Image Image Image

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:03 am 
Master Pilot

[spoiler]

Just mind-boggling stuff in this chapter!

The Theomach - a rival to the Elohim? Wow.

Ten thousand years into the Land's past? In the middle of a cruel winter? Crazy. It's like we stumbled into an Ice Age.

And we're right on the doorstep of Berek's camp. The Berek Halfhand. Whoa!

And Jeremiah "beat" Esmer? Does not compute...

Neither does Covenant's bizarre plan to "freeze time" around Lord Foul and Kastenessen by using the Power of Command. Hello, did everyone forget that the Power can't affect the Despiser? That should have raised alarm bells in Linden - if she weren't in such a disoriented state of mind. Or maybe she never knew. I can't remember if Covenant explained the limits of the Power of Command to her waaaay back in the 2nd Chronicles. Then again, I would be probably be too confused myself to think about such details if I were in Linden's straits.

In any case, Covenant's purpose sounds very fishy. Esmer's advice to Linden that she must be the first to drink the Earthblood suddenly takes on urgent meaning.

[/spoiler]