Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Gildenfire
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:25 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo -

That's the short story thing that was extra to Korik's mission wasn't it ? If so I brought that when it came out, but have subsequently lost it. In the 80's I lead a somewhat nomadic existence at times and Gildenfire went the way of a few possessions. Sad ? No. Careless ? Yep. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Beren-find the later edition of Daughter of Regals--u can get it @ almost any decent used book store--it's the 1 with the beautiful stained glass dragon and the foxy burnette on the cover--That book of SRD short stories has Gliden Fire in it! DO NOT get the copy w/boring "medivilish" castle--that 1 does not. Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo - Cheers for the info. I'll keep a lookout for Daughter of Regals. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:18 am 
Master Pilot

The Illearth War & The One Tree r my 2 fav Covenant books--it did disturb me that Elena didn't do more and HileTroy was, in a strange way, an even more tradgic figure than TC. Troy's mistakes and misunderstandings combined w/a good heart seemed, however, 2 seriously increase Morham's strenght. It's strange how the women, from the Land seem 2 disapear from Covenant--Atirian, Lena, Elena... How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:14 pm 
Master Pilot

You're right, Danlo! It's never a good idea to get mixed up with Covenant if you're a lady. Though some did survive, the policy should be "Watch out for this one!". Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:50 pm 
Master Pilot

"He's the 1 ur mother warned u about" or "Don't touch him!" How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

Post subject: WOMEN
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:28 pm 
Master Pilot

if she were a woman worth her salt .. TC eventually got on fine with her

.. but she had to have mettle .. substance .. All SRD's female characters apart for a few .. are strong women .. women you could depend upon .. Atiaran .. (Lena doesnt count .. cos she was little more than a child when TC first met her .. and we dont meet her again till she is geriatric) Hollian .. the women on the Council of the Lords .. the Ramen who lead the questors in LFB .. Elena (even though she was strange .. she was a strong character)

SRD downplayed the shallow tart-like women in TOT from the Braithairealm .. I forget her name .. the one that tried to seduce TC ..

TC's desire and revulsion towards women in general reflects his own self-loathing .. and his despite for being cursed with leprosy and .. dumped .. by the one woman he had seriously covenanted his love with .. Then in a time of great personal need and crisis .. this very woman .. who bore the title 'wife' .. abandoned him .. adding greater to the burden he already had to bear.

I wouldnt have been surprised if he never trusted love again .. I am not sure after all that I would be able to. But as we know he does .. takes that leap .. and his faith is richly rewarded by his personal act of loving at last being reciprocated by LA .. for the brief time that he experiences it. <i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 6/2/02 4:47:19 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: WOMEN
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:38 pm 
Master Pilot

Ah...what he said. ^

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:53 pm 
Master Pilot

maybe TC .. in his relationship with LA .. experiences a truer kind of love and loving than that he had with Joan. I am not suggesting that his love with Joan was a lie .. or even founded on lies .. but I mean that it was not without conditions. Maybe all relationships need to have conditions attached .. but love predicated on conditions? .. not a healthy kind of love .. or even relationship assertedly built on 'love'.

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:04 pm 
Pilot

Shoot, I had something brilliant to say, and it's gone. Rats. Well, soldier on, then. Perhaps I'll think of it...

Oh, I know! :duh "Superficial". Danlo suggested in another thread that Joan was a superficial sort, and I wonder whether the marriage itself wasn't superficial. She was gorgeous, he was successful, they got married and bought an estate and made a baby, and life was supposed to go on, happily ever after. I think they met kind of young (or maybe they were just immature?), and I wonder whether they would've split eventually anyway -- whether Covenant's leprosy just hastened the split, showing up the flaws in the character of each more quickly than would otherwise have happened. Couples either grow up together, or they grow apart. TC clearly had the capacity to be a deeper person than he was when he wrote his first bestseller. I'm not sure that Joan had the same capacity.

Hey, my emoticons aren't working! I really wanted to use the little flag dude, too.... <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/13/02 12:06:16 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I'll get it back up! don't worry--xperiencing tech difs! sorry (boy saying that in a thread devoted 2 WOMEN! totally embarrassing!)---there it GOES!!! How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/13/02 12:07:00 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:58 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Shades of Colossus! </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:32 pm 
Master Pilot

pffft!! LOL .. definitely!!

Ms Mary I think you have a good point .. and I recall TC saying as much himself .. he described Joan and his relationship as one that he felt she was unsatisfied with .. frustrated because he wasnt producing enough written work .. <thats why she took Roger and went to her parents to hasten his creative juices> .. and I dont think he was ready to have a 'Roger' .. either ..

as in the kid ..

I agree .. there relationship may well have deteriorated anyway .. and it certainly sounded like it was heading that way .. TC's leperosy was just the push Joan needed to call it quits. health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: TC again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I definately think TC is the most interesting character in Fantasy--and almost in all of literarure--def <i> the</i> best anti-hero I've ever come across... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Ive never seen anyone critique TCTC...and Im about to do so...

The Landers of the First Chronicles are not, for the most part, human enough for my liking. Set aside the Lords and maybe Atiaran, but they seem to perfect. There is no country on Earth w/people so kind and devoted to their land...so devoted that they wont burn woods from trees there. SRD probably could have done more to make them seem more human. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>