Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Damnation Alley
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:34 am 
Master Pilot

I just bought Damnation Alley...Borders didnt have Nine Princes in Amber damn it! Oh well, I mainly bough Damnation Alley because it was about Boston! Ill tell you how I felt about it, has anyone here read it? The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Damnation Alley
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I'll read it w/u!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:31 pm 
Master Pilot

Too late! I finished.

In Damnation Alley, Zelazny forms a chilling vision of the future Earth, with radiation preventing anyone from flying. California and the U.S. Southwest have survived the nucleur war, as has Boston, and other parts of the Northeast, excluding New York. Hell Tanner, a con from L.A., has been 'asked' by the nation of California to deliver a serum to Boston, one of the last strongholds of humanity who is plagued by a...well, plague. His journey across Damnation Alley, which is in fact the United States that once was.

Easy reading, well worth it! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Cool, I'm in2 it will buy it this week! $1--I've already priced it!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:39 am 
Master Pilot

Cool! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

Post subject: Damnation alley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:29 pm 
Pilot

The book was made into a film (the same name) both are excellent IMO, I love the bleak look at the worlds future.

Sorry to have been absent for a loooong time, work has been hectic, and the little on-line time I have has been taken up at the Watch (SRD was my first love) <i>Edited by: Prince of Amber at: 12/3/02 8:31:31 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Damnation alley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:10 pm 
Master Pilot

I know me, too! BTW, Prince, I finally read Nine Princes in Amber--wow. It was awesome, started Guns of Avalon. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:47 pm 
Master Pilot

I actually just started reading Damnation Alley a couple of days ago. So far, Zelazny is impressive as always.

Ha! I just rented John Carpenter's "Escape From L.A." last night (because Bruce Campbell has a small role in it) and viewing it jogged my memory of the original "Escape From New York" movie. It seems like the Snake Pliskin character was pretty heavily influenced by Hell Tanner of Damnation alley. Same bad-a** biker attitude and same deal with the government: accomplish this mission for us, and we'll pardon all your criminal acts ... <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Sounds good. Damnation Alley is a good read, Alph. Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

I did pick Damnation Alley up recently, maybe I'll read it next after the book I'm working on now.
I have yet to find a Zelazny book I don't like. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:26 am 
Master Pilot

Just finished running The Alley! I've noticed it's not one of Zelazny's more critically acclaimed works, but I liked it a lot!

Some cool RZ touches at the end there. Love the way he waxes poetic with the ghost/dream sequence. And the single bell tolling as ... well, don't wanna spoil it for anyone.

It would never-ever-in-a-million-years happen, but I would love to see a film remake of Damnation Alley, based soley on the book. With current CGI technology, depicting Zelazny's freaky, tormented skies would be no problem at all (and probably quite stunning). I'd even be willing to accept Brad Pitt playing Hell Tanner, but of course, they would probably try to cast Tom Cruise.

When I was growing up, my older brothers, who all attended high school in the late sixties and early seventies, used to make references to Damnation Alley all the time. So it's kinda cool finally having read it, I feel like I've been initiated into a family tradition. <i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 5/22/03 5:33:58 pm
</i>

Post subject: Damnation Alley
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm about a third of the way done, finding it darker than the other Zelazny stuff I've read, but still enjoying it. I like all of the mutant giant animals out in the desert. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:36 pm 
Lady Scryer

I finished a couple of days ago, too. It was interesting cheering for a sort of scoundrel to make it! All of the mutant animals and the volcanos, etc. were very interesting! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: RE: Damnation Alley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:02 pm 
Pilot

I had to track this thread down. Damnation Alley is one of my top 5-10 books. (No idea off hand what the others might be, but I know DA's definitely one of them.)

Loved Hell Tanner, loved the whole anti-hero deal, (in a time when anti-heroes weren't actually the norm,) and absolutely loved the ending.

On the other hand, the movie rates as one of my top 5-10 worst SF book to movie adaptions. There are some things that Hellywood just shouldn't be allowed to play with.

Adios
Rockin' & in The Land of Oz
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: RE: Damnation Alley
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, the movie's supposed to be horrible. Further up, and further in!

"A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction.
You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him"
- Napoleon Bonaparte <i></i>