Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is "the Pattern?"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Clearly The Chronicles of Amber revolves around this "instrument", but, exactly, what is it? Where is it? How do u get 2 it? What do u kno about it? What can u tell us? Do u have 2 walk it perfectly? And if so y? What can happen if u don't? And 4 that matter how do the Trumps work? And what in the hell bcame of Oberon? Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/24/02 6:14:43 am
</i>

Post subject: Not sure if I should answer you, but...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:20 am 
Pilot

The Pattern is the basis of the multiverse, drawn by Dworkin, in the Center of the multiverse. If you misstep, I assume its like mistepping worlds, so you basically disappear into Chaos. I think that should cover it... Oberon, by the way, is probably in some insane shadow, judging by the faint Contact. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Not sure if I should answer you, but...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:02 pm 
Pilot

Alright.. Lemmy have a try.

The Patter was drawn in blood by Dworkin using the template that he found in the Jewel of Judgment, or Serpents Eye. Supposedly, Oberon was birthed of the pattern, a mixture of Dworkin and the Unciorn, the element of Order. Castle Amber was them made in a very close shadow, where the reflection of the pattern is the strongest, and walkable. Its "Reflection" is in the dungeons of Amber and is the version usually walked by Children of Amber in their initation. There are the two possibilities of the pattern in Tirna N'Goth (sp?) and Rebma that can also be used without trouble by any amberite. The further away from the earliest reflection is the more dangerous it is to walk a pattern. A human can even walk some of them, but these are called "Broken Patterns" because of the danger in using them and the breaks accross their surface. Only one in ten survive walking it.

Any other questions?

D.W. Come to the Duck Side... DARK! I MEANT DARK!DAMNIT!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Right u are! Thanks DW! I am buying some old Amber books this afternoon! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:10 pm 
Pilot

it can be argued that the pattern is actualy a Trump drawn in the blood of a shapeshifter. and it is a trump of the image within the jewel of judgement, thus making it really powerfull. from that perspective, trump is the most powerfull ability in the amber multiverse.

i imagine that one could draw a 3-d pattern, rather than a flat one, that would more perfectly reflect the image in the gem and create a more 'real' world. but this would require a place where gravity followed the pattern, rather than just one direction of down.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Very cool analysis and prespective Teulisch! Where does ur name come from? Please pop in2 the Master Pilot's Bar (in Snowy Owl chat) and introduce urself!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>