Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Creatures of Light and darkness
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:50 am 
Lady Scryer

I was just wondering if anyone else here has read this book? It's really sort of wild and weird and fun, and it might be my favorite book by this author (even if I did have to read it twice to figure out what was going on!) Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Creatures of Light and darkness
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Ive never heard of it, whats it about? Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Creatures of Light and darkness
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

It's really hard to describe -- but it's definately inspired by ancient Egyptain myths, just as his first novel, This Immortal is inspired in part by ancient Greek myths. It's a strange book -- if you don't like it at first try, read it again, and things will become clearer. It's ... dense. He packs an awful lot of stuff into a rather small book, and I know I had to read it a couple of times just to understand most of what was going on. But in the end, as I said, I think it became my favorite of all of his books. I'm not even sure if its still in print anymore, but you can probably find a used copy fairly easily. This Immortal is an interesting book, too, though I don't like it as much as either Creatures or Lord of Light. But it's still worth reading! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/16/03 1:18:53 am
</i>