[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Night of Knives by Ian Esslemont - SPOILERS!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Night of Knives by Ian Esslemont - SPOILERS!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm 
Master Pilot

There's no way the reread didn't help you. It's just that six more readings would be needed to get a significant percentage of what's going on. :lol: Honestly, as we know, these books are riddled with characters and plots! Heck, just tracing the histories of the many different cultures would be a heck of a project! Of course, all that is what makes them the most enthralling books I've ever read. I'm a slow reader, and have to put LOTS of time into books. Rereads are not easy, since it takes so much effort, and I already know what's going to happen. I've never come close to doing something like reading as many pages as there are in the first four books ; reading them again; going on to as many pages as there are in the next four books; and have already started this chronological reread. It's because there's SO much stuff going on, it's such cool stuff, and it's all tied together so well!

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:32 am 
Lady Scryer

Did anyone else who has read the book gotten the vibe that the Emperor and Dancer were/are...really close friends? :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:51 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Oh, I've always thought they were BFF, and I haven't reak NoK.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm 
Master Pilot

I'd agree that Shadowthrone should be committed, at the very least.... ;)

My books:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, they might well be gay. I'm not ruling it out. :)

And to answer your earlier question -- no, I've never seen an explanation (that I remember, anyhow :lol: ) for why Kellanved and Dancer did what they did. (Or why they deserved to Ascend, come to that.) "Naked power grab" is
probably the closest to the mark, tho.

I haven't seen any indication that Shadowthrone is aligned with the Crippled God -- I think they're on their own side in that war.

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Does Dancer wear leotards a lot in NoK?

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:48 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:09 am 
Lady Scryer

According to Amazon, this book will have its USA release in May, 2009. :) In hardcover. :razz:

So you will be paying hardcover prices for a rather short book with huge margins. :wink:

Image Image Image