[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - danlo's poetic musings

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: About: Moonspots and the Alien, and the poem that follows...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:13 pm 
Master Pilot

I think I have strep today...:mhoram ...so I'm amusing myself by putting up and (trying to) edit this next poem from the same collection, Zen Rubbish (c.1979), that contains Too Much Chianti. Like the poem, Dealing With Your Conscience, it stems from the time I almost wrote a Sci Fi called Moonspots and the Alien (see excerpt in fan fiction thread).

**To give you some background on the book: I am called, as a point of reference, not that it is important, The Main Observer and I come from a planet named Liecia in the Gamma-Epsilon B quandrant. Liecia is the second planet from the doublesun Cappella (yes, named after a real binary star!). Inbetween the tiny first planet, Moth, and Liecia lies an asteroid belt called Moonspots, the remnant of one of Liecia's three moons that (er, met w/an "accident"..) and constantly dots out the doublesun. The other two moons are Second-Hand and Helper, Helper is actually an asteriod that got caught in Second-Hand's gravity well and now orbits it, kinda like this: rogen . The third planet is called The Strange Sister and is habitable for four of our months. This is where many Liecialians spend one of our three seasons. A planet to planet pilgrimage is required during this season. The fourth planet is twice the size of Jupiter, and is called The Weight. Finally there is a mysterious black fifth planet, smaller than Saturn but bigger than Earth, Equalibrium. Equalibrium orbits The Weight, and every 92 Earth years The Weight decides to counter-orbit Equalibrium causing all sorts of weird cosmic flux and messing all the other planet's normal orbits!

**Liecia is primarily a water-planet, dark maroon seas cover most of it's surface, the seas are extemly calm (for the most part) and not that deep. The land masses are connected to each other by series of long redwood planks that are supported by hard coral colony-pillars. These fragile white ecosystems are protected by "Keepers" who are a cross between angry red anemones and piranhas. There are schools of transparent minnow-like creatures called "Keeper-Beepers" who warn the "Keepers" of approaching maruaders. Leicialians are constantly on the lookout for Chiselbeaks, barracuda shaped thrushes, that attack the colonies from the sky! (Also the T-bird's arch enemy...)

**The landmass, or island, The Main Observer, currently, inhabits is Devonia. Swamps and large dark-green algae encircle it. It has one lone anicient volcano, now resembling a large hill, in it's center and reaches off to the sea in a series of long, sweeping hills. There is a small whitish beach tucked away in a scared bay. Redwood groves and Mercury-recyclers are the only "trees" that grow on the hills. The "recyclers" are half as tall and breathtaking. They look like huge Weeping Willow bushes, or cobwebs, whos platinum-mercury branches dip and sway as their tips drop blobs of "metal" on the ground to soak up nutrients, Then the tips bob back down, reattach to the blobs, lift them up, and feed.

**Liecia is comprised of about 100 beings like The Main Observer, we are unisex and telepathic. We are very private/spiritual beings and hardly ever communicate, xcept in times of great need. Like the Rhinocerous, because we are usually in such a deep-meditative state we don't realize where we are going (and don't wish to appear silly talking to ourselves), each Liecialian has been adopted by a T-bird. T-birds are telepathic, as well, and have their own council. It is assumed that T-birds taught us telepathy... The Main Observer's T-bird is Newt, his/it's/my eyes and ears.

**Legend has it that Leicialians originally evolved on Earth, but as these slivery skeletal spinalfuild filled "Eels" formed hard fins and began to crawl out of the "primordial soup" some were sucked into a small spatial-vortex and deposited on Liecia. Along w/Redwood "mother seeds", which no one can explain... Of course, the "Eels" who were lucky enough to avoid the "vortex" would eventually become Homosapien...

**One of our "scouts" returns from a deep-voyage to the Void, and a gathering is held at The Nocturnal Colleges. The Galactic Council (Demi-gods) is rumored to be on the verge of ridding itself of "home", our sister Earth, due to Earth's essential developemental lack of compassion and spiritual connection to the Universe. In an effort to aid our human "brothers and sisters" I am "appointed" The Main Observer and must venture to Earth on the double-disc through a singularity. As I do so I encounter The Council on my way--as seen in the xcerpt "Moonspots and the Alien". When I arrive on Earth in the mountians of NM, the double-disc is hidden in a tree and I become myself...

**After all that huge buildup Lacerates may be a little bit of a letdown, but I have more poems and stories in my bag o' tricks! (The freaky thing is that everything alluded to above came to me through a series of dreams... )

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/16/06 10:31 pm
</i>

Post subject: Lacerates (Master of Evil) (1978)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:05 pm 
Master Pilot

The amber warning light automatically
flipped itself on
on the bridge of the Starship Source

The Silent Universe became aware of an incredible danger
and snapped at Mescalito,
The Navigator, to alter course

"It appears that Apex has finally discovered his bastard twin,
Summit (the horrendous doppleganger)
lurking in Anti-Universe A-15..."

And through this reunion
both came to the humbling conclusion
that an even darker power controls them

A creation
that even the Mega-Wizard Mephistophiles
has no name for...

Satan
shrinks in it's shadow and worships
at it's door

It rises opaque
blotting out space
wider than fivethousand Jupiters
no eyes
no features
no face

Only massive humaniod-like arms and a head
with a searing red inverted isosoles
bleeding down it's "forehead"

It trancends reality
and makes the Council shake
it's home is beyond the Void
dimensions scatter in it's wake.

So be warned
be warned
O, ignorant holymen of Earth!
Your God has a foe equal to it

Only the lone Liecialian
(who now holds the orb)
understands how it operates
and knows it's true name...

Its name is: LACERATES
master of evil
pronounced La sear rattays
(pronounced only that way)

Your Christ and God may visit you
on your so called "Judgement Day"
but O' beware
beware
beware
Lacerates.

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/12/06 10:15 pm
</i>

Post subject: Camel=on Rainy Days (1982)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:47 am 
Master Pilot

Electric light
shines on phone, kitchen table, windowsill
bars on my windows
bars walk across the balcony

Electric light
shines on (shadows) the wet sidewalk, saplings
dark courtyard
dark sillouettes, buildings and trees

Electric light
streetlights stand among sillouettes
high sunset color flux
high tension wires glide along horizons

Electric light
shines on me, H to He
rainbows streaming from my soul
"Rainbows End" on the stereo

Deep orange-red at the edge of the world
lightens to cream through the pitch black trees
green
gray
skyblue
purple, violet, midnight blues

hyper-charged city rats in violent homes and bars
and their metal contraptions
do not see this way
here's my clear
and that's why I listen to Camel
on rainy days

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/13/06 7:20 pm
</i>

Post subject: The Truth is You (1981)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Doors of fear slammed tight
man hiding
hiding from himself

There is no need to imagine
how it can be
for: as seen from space and conciousness
there is only one reality: truth

Borders and religions merely serve as temporary screens
the only thing we truly fear is fear
day to day life is a personal philosophic journey
that all must experience
and from which none can hide
but we try, oh, how we try

Government is nothing but strongarm propaganda
although it's lies appear to uphold the law
it is not designed for the good of the whole
only those with money,
those who seek salvation in faiths
do so out of fear and lack of faith in themselves

Fear of impending holocaust is humanity's guise upon it's image
and one of government's prime excuses to justify it's existence
it throws the poor in the direct line of fire
and takes 25% from all to build bombs in the name of peace
just as the old priests required tribute and sacrifice
to still the wrath of the angry gods
for fear that truth might would appear
and that we might question the neccessity of rules

Clothes serve as a placebo of man's reality
we pretend and won't accept what is given reinforcing jealousy
deep down inside we are naked in this reality
naked, ashamed and not knowing what to do

Doors, walls, bombs, borders, religion and clothes
will never spare man from truly being seen
the spritual network is all that has ever held us together
they know this too as they lock us in shackles of fear
to blind us of it's absolute beauty
and it's absolute beauty has always been you

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/29/03 12:03 am
</i>

Post subject: Being (1980)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:28 pm 
Master Pilot

There is no head here
surface engraved
images-someone else's ways
pounding on the walls of the brain
inside
deep

Listen
stop fighting
you are what you are

So many eyes we have met stay in mind
the mind of someone looking back at you
reflect for sometime
stories, not of the heart, mirrors of the mind
leaves fall on the ground
you know they're falling-you feel it
you know it's Fall

There should at least be windows
I should be outside
I'm not happy here
in this padded mental cell...

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/28/05 10:57 pm
</i>

Post subject: The construction of: Dream Opus & Other Stuff ('87)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:21 am 
Master Pilot

Hang on to your hats y'all. Have to figure I've got an audience out there somewhere. Anyway this was originally penned during my first marriage, probably around '87 when the dreaded homefries was about to stay, and stay, and stay...

(under construction: I'm sure it'll make no sense)

Dream Opus & Other Stuff

She had a face
What a face!!!!!
(In lieu of what happened it really didn't matter)
A cross between the Mona Lisa
A Matisse interpretation
And the Queen of England (possibly Regina or Liz or both)

It was a sunny day, trees and shimmering clouds
I was in the kitchen doing dishes
She was the Queen (of somewhere)
I was not who I thought I was
She was tending children (playing on the lawn)
And yelling at me through the window

The door down the hall was open (or was it?)

"Why you infidel! Why should I believe
A word you say?!
You are merely a scullery boy
And I am the ruler of the realm!
It gives me great pleasure to see a mercenary
Doing such common work
What the HELL do you think you know about
Strategy and the affairs of knights!?!"

"I am from a different world
I have been in many lands
I have seen things you would not believe
An attack can come from anywhere
They have devices you don't understand
They can appear anywhere
Even in the kitchen doorwa..."

As I said that it did
The doorway crackled and flashed
She stood aghast in unbelief
IT began to walk towards me...

Many things happened at once
The creature materialized
Muscles popped out of my muscles
And I became the barbarian
I had always been
Somehow she broke her trance
And disappeared with the children
(Somehow I knew she would never believe me again)

I'd never expected to see anything like this
In my life
He, it, what ever it was-was amazing
(and totally hypnotic)
It was a cross between the sylph god Pan
And a very pissed of biker

He/It had very curly long brown hair
A forehead (not exactly like Lt. Worf...but) angled
Almost two dimensional
A long brown beard that came to a point
Naked but a pair of brown curly chaps
Or legs, animal legs

I tried to look at it's feet-but it's eyes held me
They were completely round
Like psychedelic spirals-reaching into my soul
Like refugees from a very bad acid trip

"WHERE is LEECAPIA!?!" it wailed

I moved towards it holding a dish I'd just washed
I threw it-as a frisbee-as hard as I could
It shattered against it's forehead
He/It didn't blink, then lurched at me

"Now wait a minute, friend?"
I pleaded, holding my hand out in a
gesture of peace
"Who are you? What do you want?"

"WHERE is LEECAPIA!?!" it wailed

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about
Is this a person?
Where does shehe come from?
Here?
Some other country?
What do you want with this LEECAPIA?
What do you want with me?"

Then He/It sprang into the air
I sprang too...(almost involuntarily)
We grabbed each other by the throats
We were suspended
We were levitating
Muscles bulging to the point of no-return
Veins popping
Much more than a test of strenght-a test of will
Then I noticed He/It was staring right at me
My brain was beginning to be sapped dry........
I looked away

We both landed on the ground

He/It's question was ringing in my head
He/It's eyes were staring at me again
I had no ideal who this LEECAPIA was
And if I did I wasn't about to let this
@#%$ know who, or whatever, it was

(sorry, just gettin' juicy, I know-but it's a looong poem and Im devoting the 4 day weekend to it!

Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/16/06 10:36 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Resisting the Urge (1986) mostly Frank Herbert quote
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:34 am 
Master Pilot

Does this seem interesting? If not I'll scrap it, If so I may keep going...I'm so far into my head lately (what a Grilli day!) that I do need some feedback, please? *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The construction of: Dream Opus & Other Stuff ('87)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:05 pm 
Pilot

danlo, I had no idea you were such a prolific poet. Your work is very cool. I don't know if you are a fan (I am) but some of your work, if set to progressive rock, would impress like Neil Peart's RUSH tunes.

Where was all of this when we were putting together the first Kevin's Watch Anthology? We could have used anything I've read here. At least we have one entry from you for Anthology II. :-) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks! (don't tell Luci) but I love Rush and Peart! *****

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:19 am 
Master Pilot

I'll seriously get back to this! *****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:58 am 
The Timekeeper

ok, here is what I promised you-the poem I read for my mother at her memorial:

Long Island Girl
Even when our mother yelled at us
She did so with a sinuous, graceful, panache
It was the same when she walked
The same when she talked
With the elegant and eloquent air of
A Bon Vivant and natural catwalk model