Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Bit of Wizard of Oz fan fiction
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:29 pm 
Pilot

Dorothy Witch-Slayer
Written by - T. Cummins
Fan fiction based on stories by L. Frank Baum

Gratch the Wicked Witch of the Southeast, stood over Dorothy with her long, spindly arms flailing above her head in a blur of tattered black satin. The pale, wrinkled skin of her emaciated, mottled face was stretched into a wild and fiendish grin. Gratch lauded her triumph over her while Dorothy lay stretched out upon the grass at her feet and Toto clutched firmly in her arms.

"You are finished. Do you hear me child?" Gratch crowed into the moiling, gray thunderheads above and then slowly curled her hands into tightly clenched fists and brandished them before her, daring Dorothy to move. "You have caused me no end of pain. I will see you rent limb from limb." The flying monkeys that surrounded her jittered and stamped in anticipation. "I wish to hold your still beating heart in my hands so I may squeeze the last of your life's blood upon the ground and stamp upon it with glee!"

Dorothy lay still with a slight smirk on her face as she patiently listened to Gratch's tirade. "Keep running your mouth moron. Would it kill you to move a few steps to your right you wrinkled cow?" Dorothy muttered under her breath. She quickly stole a glance at the skies above Gratch's head, trying to gauge the speed and distance of the object plummeting down toward them. Then she tensed herself. The timing would have to be perfect and there would be no room for error or a second chance.

"Now my pretty, I will have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery." Gratch paused to savor the moment. A thin trickle of drool slipped past the corner of her mouth and hung for a moment before it finally dropped to the ground. A bright crackling of crimson power erupted from her clenched fists.

Dorothy suddenly leapt to her feet and flung herself as far as her weary legs would allow. She slammed to the ground a few feet away guarding Toto from the impact by landing awkwardly on her back.

Gratch was able to look up only a moment before the massive form of a tanker truck plummeted down upon her. She and her servants were instantly crushed into the ground as the fully loaded water tank drove its weight into the earth. The welds of the container instantly ruptured spilling its contents outward in every direction. Gratch's broken body was instantaneously melted upon contact with the substance she had always feared the most.

Dorothy lay upon the ground drenched and in pain but essentially whole. She released Toto and began to laugh aloud. A mirth springing from the essential core of her soul. They were no match for her. She knew she would always have the upper hand against the tyrants of Oz. Her only concern as she strolled away from the flaming wreckage was that she was quickly running out of witches.

End.

Dorothy Witch Slayer: Toto’s End
Written by - T. Cummins
Fan fiction based on stories by L. Frank Baum

Dorothy leaned against the iron bars of her cell with her forehead resting against the soothing coolness of the pitted, black metal. The tears she had shed for Toto’s loss had finally begun to subside allowing the bubbling cauldron of her hatred to build within her soul, ripe and ready for eruption.
        “Hey you!” The prisoner in the next cell muttered in a hoarse, dry voice.
        Dorothy ignored the sound. She thought to herself that any man who emitted a stench such as his was clearly beneath her notice and she was suddenly thankful that she found herself in a dungeon with almost no lighting save for a few scattered braziers fixed upon the walls some distance away.
        “Hey sweet thing. I’m talking to ya.” The man pressed himself against the common bars separating the two cells. “I seen the way them fiends dealt with ya. You gots them riled up somethin fierce. Who might you be that they be treating ya to so much extra affection?” The man grinned, baring his four remaining rotted teeth.
        Dorothy abruptly pushed herself away from the bars and turned to face the man with a dark scowl twisting her face. “Bite me.”
        The man nickered pleasantly in reply. “You are a sprite aint you?” He pressed his gnarled, whiskered face in close between the bars. “Hold on there. I knows you! I seen you someplace before. It’s been a while, holds on. You got a name like a pony as I recall. Something like Buffy or Donkey or some such thing.”
        Dorothy turned and padded over to her bunk then dropped heavily onto its worn, tattered mattress. “I don’t know you and don’t care to.” She leaned backward falling against rough stone of the back wall with her arms crossed and her head bowed.
        “Dorothy! That’s it. I thought I knowed you. You that girl what’s been giving the Witches such a do.” The man began to cough a dry hacking cough that sounded full of dust and cobwebs. Once he finally cleared his throat he continued. “I could be of service to a spitfire such as yourself. For instance I knows how we might gets our bodies out of this here gloomy doom. You interested girlie?” The man waited for a response with his one good eye firmly fixed upon Dorothy’s unmoving form.
        “Give it up, Slyth. You must take me for a fool.” Dorothy muttered.
        “Wha…whatever do you mean, girl?” The man stepped back with a hint of surprise on his face.
        “Slyth, you are the only person living or dead who has ever called me Donkey and lived to speak of it. I don’t know what you are doing but its not going to work. Wasn’t feeding my Toto to your dragon enough for you? Can’t you leave me to die in peace?” Dorothy spoke with abject bitterness in her voice but at the same time quietly reached into the front pocket of her jeans and retrieved a small metal box, her lucky lighter.
        “It was one of my greatest achievements my pretty.” Slyth sneered as she suddenly transformed from the guise of the gruff old man to that of the tall and hauntingly beautiful Wicked Witch of the Southern South One Quarter. Slyth’s power radiated a potent aura, the color of autumn violets, which illuminated the dungeon from corner to corner.
Dorothy slowly sat up and stood next to her bunk with the lighter held tightly behind her back. “I’m at your mercy, Slyth. What are you waiting for? Lets get this over with you cow. Or are you as stupid as you are ugly?”
Slyth was instantly enraged. Her face stretched into a fierce grimace and her aura brightened with her anger. Without warning she sprung into motion. As she lunged toward Dorothy Slyth dissolved the iron bars of the cells with the slightest gesture, screaming with all the air in her lungs.
With only a split second to react, Dorothy ducked under Slyth and set her cape on fire with a flick from her lighter. The highly combustible fabric burst into flames as Slyth went hurtling over Dorothy to crash against the stone wall of the cell. Dorothy quickly regained her feet and sprinted out of the cell and down the corridor with Slyth only a few steps away. As Dorothy reached the first guard she shouted to him.
“Your queen is on fire. Hurry and put out the flames!”
The dim witted guard immediately spun and fetched a pail of water, he had also been using as a spittoon, and flung it upon the flaming witch as she approached.
Dorothy laughed as she ran leaving behind the sounds of another Tyrant of Oz screaming in her final agony.
As Dorothy scampered under the open portcullis of Slyth’s castle and out into the glorious spring afternoon she heard the sound of barking off in the distance. She ran up and over a nearby hill to find Toto and Slyth’s dragon playing together in the daisy filled meadow. Dorothy stood with her hands on her hips and wide smile on her pretty face.
“I don’t know how you managed that Toto but I’m glad to see you. I should have guessed you'd pull something like this.” Dorothy muttered to herself while trying to keep from bursting into tears. She casually strode down the hill, glancing behind her every so often in case any of Slyth’s soldiers offered pursuit. When Toto noticed her he raced to jump into her waiting arms. The dragon snorted a puff of smoke and patiently waited for the reunion to end before gesturing for Dorothy and Toto to climb onto his back. Dorothy, with Toto in hand, leapt aboard.
As they flew low over Slyth’s castle the Dragon followed Dorothy’s suggestion and set the ancient citadel ablaze. Dorothy was laughing so hard she nearly dropped Toto. Dorothy wondered to herself if she shouldn’t return to Kansas. She had learned so very much during her stay in Oz and she was eager to put her old hometown to the test.

End.

<i>Edited by: clearfrontier at: 7/19/06 4:42 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: A Bit of Wizard of Oz fan fiction
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Great stuff! Gnarly stuff. I saw Buffy in place of Dorothy there! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

I love it!

Look out Kansas - here comes your native daughter! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:32 am 
Master Pilot

When I decided to put Anders' background up here I PMed Luci and Tom and asked them to post samples of their work to help me jazz this place up-I do have damm good taste in poets and writers!

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/19/06 12:23 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:49 am 
Pilot

Thanks guys. I enjoyed writing those shorts. When I was a kid, back before everyone had videos and dvds, watching the Wizard of Oz once a year on tv, with my the rest of my family, was a much anticipated event so I am a fan of the film if not the books.

danlo, I WAS thinking of Dorothy with a Buffy attitude while I was writing. :-) <i></i>