[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What's for Dinner?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's for Dinner?
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 pm 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

I need to open a 'BBQ R Not Us' store quickly. I have a friend who eats blue steak and it's horrifying to even watch as he cuts into the damn thing. Yeeeuch!

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
:avatar:

However...

I like steak tartare, and that Japanese dish that uses raw kobe beef, on the rare occasions I'm actually somewhere that serves it. So, I do understand if my food preferences are a bit extreme for you. :)

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 am 

Oh, I can understand the raw food thing, I even eat sushi, but if you're actually going to cook something, then it needs to be done properly! 'Well done' means exactly that, which is why it's not called 'Not well done' or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:21 am 

Just put a lovely Lancashire hotpot in the oven for dinner tonight. I use beef instead of lamb coz I think lamb is completely bland, unless you superspice it, which I don't enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 pm 

mmm...Lancashire hot pot.
Care to describe in more detail?

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:49 am 

Oh it's a nice easy dish. The purists always use lamb, but I love beef, which is what I use. I dice about 2lb of decent beef, three carrots, two onions, couple of celery sticks. Some disgusting people use mushrooms, but as all mushrooms taste like mud, why on earth would you do that??? Get your oven on the go, around 200 degrees will do. nice old casserole dish and put a layer of the vegetables down. season with salt and thyme. Then a layer of the meat. Season again. then another layer of veg and season, then the meat and season. Pour over a pint of stock. Peel and thinly slice three or four good sized spuds and layer them on top to finish. Whoff into the oven for about 2 hours. Take the lid off, back in the oven for 20 mins for the spuds to brown and crisp up. Don't go too heavy on the spuds and don't be scared of the thyme. Wait for the rain and the cold to make you miserable and enjoy immensely!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:39 pm 

We've been eating a lot of chicken leg quarters lately. Fortunately we are all dark meat lovers, and at 59¢/lb, one of the better meat deals locally.

I've been saving the bones, both before and after roasting, depending on if I've been deboning the thighs or not. And we have been having unseasonably cool weather for Gator Town (it has been heavenly!), so tonight I am making a big old pot of Jewish Penicillin.

I started it last night, and let it simmer overnight in a 200ºF oven, and am now finishing it off with the additional root vegetables that we will eat with the soup. About 30 minutes before service I'll add some pasta, matzah balls, fresh dill weed, and the chicken scraps I saved from the bones.

Right now I have about 12 quarts of soup in my 20 quart stock pot. Once I add the other items, I should have about 14 quarts all told I think.

After we have a couple meals worth of soup, I'll strain it and reduce the soup by half into a rich stock, before packaging it in two cup measure to freeze for recipes.

mmm-mmm
I do enjoy reasons for making a big old pot of home made soup...

~Avatar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think I will try to make this tonight:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Ingredients:
1/2 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
any other vegetables desired, 1/2 cup each
2 tbsp oil or margarine
8 cups water or vegetable broth
1 cup barley, uncooked
1 cup pinto or white beans, pre-soaked if dry
1/3 cup tomato paste or crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp celery salt (optional)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano or Italian spice mix
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp onion powder (optional)
2 large bay leaves
Preparation:
In a large soup pot, sautee the onions, celery, carrots and any other vegetables for 3-5 minutes. Add vegetable broth or water and all other ingredients and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.
Allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft and somewhat fluffy. Add more spices to taste and enjoy!

I love barley soup. :cloud:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:54 pm 
The Timekeeper

Salmon, I can't wait-

had Nachos for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Just plain old broccoli soup 4 me and maybe an assorment of spanish meat and cheese with a glass of red wine :wine: quality. Not much of a cook I is not :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 am 

Tonight is pork chops with unsweetened apple sauce, green peas seasoned with butter and dill weed and baked potatoes.
yummy...

~Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:33 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:02 pm 
The Timekeeper

Tam made talapia in lemon sauce with capers served with rice pilaf-out of this world!!!! :cloud:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 pm 

I made an almost eight pound chicken earlier in the week, and tonight I am using what is left of the meat and making chicken tetrazini. Just realized I am completely out of salt though, and no transportation until midnight...

We'll make do, but it won't be right.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:48 pm 

whole rotisserie chicken in the Showtime
"kashered"
then rubbed first with fresh squeezed lime juice, followed by another rub with extra light olive oil
seasoned with a dry rub of fresh ground mixed peppercorns, granulated garlic, Hungarian hot paprika, and dried dill weed
stuffed with the lime halves, fresh whole garlic cloves and some fresh rosemary

white rice in the rice cooker
seasoned with salt, a little "curry" powder, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic and dried dill weed

sautéd broccoli florets in extra light olive oil with fresh slivered garlic gloves

~Avatar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next