Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Now-moment
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:18 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm moving a Zindell and Heinlein quote from my post in Falling 2 Neverness, adding a quote from The Broken God, and I'll add another from Conversations With God when I get it back from the person I loaned it to, as well as others that I run into in the Neverness books.

This concept is extremely interesting to me. It's in the category of concepts that I can't intellectualize, but seem to have some... intuitive? grasp on.

From Neverness:Quote:A day, whether six or seven ago, or more than six thousand years ago, is just as near to the present as yesterday. Why? Because all time is contained in the present Now-moment.

To talk about the world as being made by God tomorrow, or yesterday, would be talking nonsense. God makes the world and all things in this present Now. Time gone a thousand years ago is now as present and as near to God as this very instant.

-Johannes Eckehart, Mongol Century Horologe

From The Broken God:Quote:The dreamtime was now, the shall-be and always-was. The dreamtime occurred in the Now-moment, the true time in which the world was forever created anew.

From Stranger in a Strange Land:Quote:"Look around you. All this. Mars, too. The stars. Everything. You and me and everybody. Did the Old Ones tell you who made it?"

Mike looked puzzled. "No, Jubal."

"Well, have you wondered? Where did the Sun come from? Who put the stars in the sky? Who started it? All, everything, the whole world, the Universe...so that you and I are here talking. How do your Old Ones answer such questions?"

"Jubal, I do not grok...that these are 'questions.' I am sorry."

"Eh? I don't grok your answer."

Mike hesitated. "I will try. But words are...are not...rightly. Not 'putting.' Not 'mading.' A nowing. World is. World was. World shall be. Now.

"'As it was in the beginning, so it is now and ever shall be, World without end-'"

Mike smiled happily. "You grok it!" ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Now-moment
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:42 pm 
Master Pilot

I didn't see one thing on my trip
But I breathed and whatever I breathed was time
-Ikkyu ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>