Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:10 am 
Master Pilot

They originated in pre-Carthage, but yes they were from the Lebanon and Cypress areas, there is def. proof they were in NM, it is speculated they sailed up in2 Colo, many, many, many moons ago! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:35 am 
Lady Scryer

Danlo, have you read the Iliad? Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:18 am 
Master Pilot

I own it and the Odsessy(sp?...that spellings waaay off), but never got around to reading them. Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Further up, and further in<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:04 am 
Lady Scryer

What translation do you have? makes a big difference to your enjoyment level. I prefer the Lattimore translations -- they're what I read in college. Mhoram, have you read the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf? Great stuff! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:17 am 
Master Pilot

I have read the Iliad, Odessy, Beowulf and Grendel.... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:29 am 
Lady Scryer

It's been a while for me for the Iliad. Good. Now I know who to hit up for info when I read the new Dan Simmons book!
If I don't get something, maybe you will! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:59 am 
Master Pilot

Dan Simmons has a book coming out? <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Damelon, he has a new science fiction duology coming out, the first book of which this spring. It's going to be loosely based on the Iliad. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:58 pm 
MOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like the myth book my mom got for me. It's called The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology.The stories are really cool, and the paintings of all of those hot Greek goddesses are great! A family member was fussing at my mom for giving me a book with nude paintings in it, and she said she would rather have me look at classic paintings than a raunchy magazine out in some friend's garage! And may the best wrestler win!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:24 am 
Master Pilot

What logic! He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93)

Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:23 pm 
Master Pilot

U dog!!! My fav version of the Iliad is the movie O Brother Where Art Thou?, bet u didn't kno it was based on the Iliad... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:54 pm 
Master Pilot

It says so at the beginning of the credits, IIRC. However, the first time I saw it I missed the first 5 minutes (came in just in time for the blind man to arrive), but I still managed to figure it out (and brag to my friends about it on the way out of the theatre). ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:12 am 
Master Pilot

"u take a left at the big rock that looks like a bear, and a right at the big bear that looks like a rock! 100 brownie pts 4 any1 who can tell me where that line comes from..."

It's from a place where Indian fights are colorful sights, and nobody takes a lickin'. Where pale-face and red-skin both turn chicken.

(I haven't read too far into this thread yet. I don't know if it's already been revealed.) Fist and Faith<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:30 am 
Master Pilot

Finally some1 got it! FTroop that's right HD! **bestows MANY brownie pt. in ur general direction!** I LOVE that show (or mayb it was an overwhelming desire 2 get in2 Wrangler Jane's buckskins, as a teenager? ...) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/19/03 2:53:54 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

The book I started today, C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces is a retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche...
It made me think of all of the very good books I have read that retell or adapt myths...from Mary Stewart's Merlin books to Mary Renault's retelling of the myths of Theseus in the Bull from the Sea and the King Must Die to the novelizations of some classic fairy tales by such writers as Robin McKinley...
These stories really are timeless, aren't they?
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next