Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:56 am 
Master Pilot

That's like the Mystic Bear or The Blue Eagle Bookstore we have here! We r surrounded by Navajo and Pueblan lore here so we hear lots of "coyote" tales and r freaked out by Skinwalkers!! Then u have Zozobra, the ditch witch, children of the earth, brujo(a)s and Day of the Dead stories from the Hispanic side...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/15/03 7:08:07 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:15 am 
Lady Scryer

Sounds like your good indie bookstores are more into Native American stuff, ours is more into various Asian things. We have a huge first generation Asian population (from a variety of nations) in this area.
Our Native American legends in the area deal more with the Manitou spirits and remaining legends about various local places like Macinac Island. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:07 am 
Master Pilot

I have heard some Macinac Island Tales! I've studied alot of dif tribes...Our Mystic bookstores r all full of Zen, I Ching, Occult, New Agey, Tao, Shinto, Buddah, Chakra kind of stuff 2...I love the Crystal Tibetian "Singing Bowls", Psychic-Astorlogy stuff. I took Tai Chi 4 a semester--WHAT a great workout! Ever hear of Qigong?
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/20/02 5:44:15 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:13 am 
Lady Scryer

No, what is that? "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:24 am 
Master Pilot

It's like a pre-Shinto-semi Buddist practice that involves Tai Chi, Tai sword dancing, yoga and total devotion the Qi energy and awareness in life--the meridians, energy flow, stuff like that. (Think "My Life" w/Michael Keaton--taken 2 the next level...)
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/15/02 8:25:55 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:03 am 
Lady Scryer

That sounds pretty intense! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Hey, Danlo, are you familiar with Norse mythology? Would the child of a mortal and a god be a mortal or a god? (I'm still trying to find answers to all of those questions I have about American Gods). And what happens to someone if they are sacrificed on the World Tree? Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:00 am 
Master Pilot

I'll have 2 bone up a bit on my Norse, I kno they r called the Aesir and there is some huge Amageddon, after the battle of the Titians and taming of the Giants, called Ragnarok, or something like that. Balder is prob my fav god, he dies in a fashion similar 2 Achilles, a helmock type arrow in some place his mom, Frida, 4gets 2 protect, or bless. Of course u have big daddy Odin, Thor, Loki, Hel...and assorted others who I can't remember right now..but not bad off the top o' me 'ead!

About ur other question, I would say the Hercules' mythos did the best evidenced job of answering that question. I think, because he completed his "trials" he became closer 2 God-like power--but then again it depends on which other Gods r backing u, etc...

R u talking about Norse mythos 4 World Tree, or the Shrikes, or Conan's Worry Tree? AND i GUESS THE j-MAN HAD HIS OWN 2! (BAD RELIGIOUS HUMOR! and just what is wrong w/my caps lock? )
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:50 am 
Lady Scryer

I am talking about the Norse World tree, though that seems to be a common motif through the mythologies of many peoples scattered throughout the world. Didn't the Mayans have a world tree in their myths as well? Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:54 am 
Master Pilot

U might b right! W/the Mayans, they prob suffered on the tree until some Puma demi-god came along and ate them! Do u kno about 2012? When the 3 Mayan calendars and the Hopi Blue Corn Dance all intersects? Did u kno that the Hopi, of NE AZ had a direct connection 2 the Yucatan--and r poss an off-shoot of the Mayans? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I remember when we visited Mesa Verde, they talked about all of the trading links, from incredible distances, that the Ancestral Pueblans had with Mexico...
See how close I've come to New Mexico? All of those trips out west to go camping in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, and I've yet to make it to your state! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Mesa Verde is AWESOME U r blessed 2 have been! The stories of the Anasazi civilization @ Chaco Canyon is amazing 2! I lived in Los Lunas 4 1 and 1/2 years, a while back. Did u kno that Phoenician inscriptions were found on the now-dormant volcano there. They think the Phoenicians sailed all the way 2 Colorado, back when the Rio Grande was much more than the mud-trickle it is 2day! The Mayans may have been decended in part from Phoenician settlers--or they could have been survivors of the destruction of Atlantis as some new age wags would lead u 2 believe... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Mesa Verde IS an awesome place. With emphasis on the "awe" part. I've never been lucky enough to make it down to Chaco. Never heard anything about that extinct volcano, but I've heard all sorts of things that Europeans made it here a long time before the Vikings...in fact, don't some of the latest theories on the peopling of the Americas have hunters coming over in boats following the icepack/seals from both directions, the Pacific AND the Atlantic?? Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:40 am 
Master Pilot

Yes I have heard a little bit about that! 2012 marks the end of the world in Hopi and Mayan beliefs! But it's more of a "cycle purge" than say, Armagedon. It's more like: life is ended, but the "way" we have been living ends that year and a new "way" begins. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/23/02 5:11:39 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Phoneicians in Colorado??? Didnt they come from Lebanon? Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next