Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:46 am 
Master Pilot

The District really needed a swift kick in the butt--and I love this subject, Mythology. I'm talking all sorts of mythos, folk tales, ethinic belief systems and ALL Mythology, not just Greco-Roman. Eqyptian, Inuit, Incan, Sumerian, Norse, Icelandic, Timbuktu, Assyrian, Aztec, Mayan...u name it! One of my dog's nickname is Annubis, the jackal-headed Eqyptian god of the dead. Sirius=Isis. Bal, Bel-Marduk, Dionisys, Pluto, Odin, Golden Fleece, Iliad, Odessy--u can even talk Astrology in here--Did u kno at 1 time there were 13 signs of the Zodiac! The 13th was Ophicius, the serpent. (In the Egyptian Zodiac)
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/12/02 7:01:13 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:20 am 
Master Pilot

I know this is off-topic but I love that Tolkien endeavoured to create an anglo-mythology via LotR's .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:45 am 
Lady Scryer

Hmmmm. I had to read through a whole term of Greek stuff in college. A four semester hour class in Great Books. We got to read some fantastic stuff! So I could prolly talk a bit of Greek myths with you. I've studied a bit of ancient European stuff, Golden Bough, things like that. I recently read a book of Russian myths, trying to understand Neil Gaimon's book American Gods a little better. I'm not into horoscope stuff much, but I know my sign, Libra, whatever that means...
And I like Star Wars, and got to see the travelling museum show about "Star Wars, Myth, and Magic' last year with my kiddos. my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:00 am 
Master Pilot

In the Golden Bough don't they talk about the pre-Cathaginia legend of the Earth Mother Diana? And the cult that revolved around her? Did u kno that a revival of that cult in Egypt was one of the factors that lead 2 the burning of the Library at Alexandria? Not 2 mention the members and librarians riding through the streets drunk and nekid. But they weren't they were just stoned 2 death! humor!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, the Golden Bough is an attempt to understand the religions of Europe before Judeo/Christian beliefs took root. There's quite a bit about the old goddesses (earth and moon) and the horned god/vegetation spirit. Been a while since I read it, but remember it a bit and its pretty interesting.
I never knew that stuff about Alexandria... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:50 am 
Master Pilot

Did u know that some archeologists, historians and scientists speculate that if the knowledge kept in the Library at Alexandria were not destroyed our current knowledge of Physics alone would now have increased 10,000 fold!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:44 am 
Lady Scryer

What I've always mourned is the loss of all of those ancient Greek plays. Even today the Oresteia and the Theban plays about Oedipus are very moving -- and Lysistrata is hilarious-- and other works said to be equally good by the same masters were lost forever when the library was burned.:"> "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:48 pm 
Master Pilot

What Id like to know is what exactly mythology IS? How many of the religions that exist today are really mythological? Further up, and further in!<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 12/13/02 4:38:40 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

If you were to ask an athiest, he or she would probably say "all of them".
If you were to ask a believer in any one individual religion he or she would probably say "all of the rest of them".
Personally, I would feel more comfortable calling mythology religions that don't have many/any followers anymore, but even that would be hard, as I certainly don't feel qualified to make that determination. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:25 am 
Lady Scryer

Lord Danlo, I had to go digging through my older son's desk stack (LOL - his stack of books is nearly as big as mine ) but I did locate what I wanted to tell you about. Right before Thanksgiving I did a Borders run to get stuff for the car drive, and found this wonderful mythology encyclopedia in the bargain books bins. It's called the Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology and is a large hardcover with gorgeous artwork, covers Greece, Rome, Egypt, Norse, Celtic, Persia, the Middle East, India, China, and Japan. It has over 500 pages -- and this beauty can be yours for only $15 greenies! If you don't have a Borders near you, I can look for it in mine again next time I go, if you think you might be interested... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 12/13/02 7:26:12 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:49 pm 
Master Pilot

!Money!!!What the heck is money!!?? If u had read Neverness u would kno that Pilots have 2 take a strict vow of poverty! But in some cases, like Bardo's, there r ways around it...so I will def check that out! Yes we do have a Borders here in the desert, u take a left at the big rock that looks like a bear, and a right at the big bear that looks like a rock! 100 brownie pts 4 any1 who can tell me where that line comes from...
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:04 am 
Lady Scryer

I have no idea where that quote is from! Borders started just a few miles from here, and while I've heard that its spread around the country, I've no idea where the other stores might be...glad you guys have one! Yes, Danlo, Neverness is now on my "To Read" list!
How can I resist it after hearing how good it is?? "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:38 am 
Master Pilot

Theres a Borders near me across a highway from a (groan) Barnes and Nobles! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:57 am 
Master Pilot

Borders is much more down 2 earth than B & N they'r SO snotty there, SO what if NYC made them so damm rich! Pooh on them! I like the Borders here becauz it looks like a regular bookstore, but the coffee shop faces the inside entrance of the mall; lots of good people watching, lots of comfy chairs , and lots of good cappicino! They have players and the fiction, sci-fi and fantasy sections r tucked away from everything so it's very quiet.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:25 am 
Lady Scryer

I guess I'm lucky, because I live within a few miles from the two flagship Borders stores -- the one in downtown is a department store! But I usually go to the one at the mall, because parking in downtown Ann Arbor is :">
We have a Barnes and Noble, too, and I'm not very fond of it. In fact, they just built a new one behind the old one twice as big. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to check it out and even though it's twice as big, there's actually fewer books! All of that extra store space is a "gift department"!
We also have a really cool store that I think Lord Danlo would love. It's in the old original Borders' space that they vacated when they went national and moved in to the old department store. It's called the Shaman Drum. Do I need to say anything more? "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>