Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:04 am 
Master Pilot

I thoroughly enjoyed Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles (c1964) when I was a young lad. Based on Welsh folklore, and, I believe, became the model of modern serial cheese fantasy. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Mythos & Mythology
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:25 am 
Lady Scryer

I read those a couple of years ago, and thought they were a pretty entertaining read! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: books based on myths/fairy tales
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:35 am 
Lady Scryer

And of course, you have to throw in Neil Gaiman's American Gods, tons of Zelazny, and Guy Guvriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry series in with good recent books or series based at least partially on myths.
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: books based on myths/fairy tales
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:54 am 
Master Pilot

Not sure where, but I think I mentioned a couple at the Watch.

Hrolf Kraki's Saga, by Poul Anderson. Hrolf Kraki was sort of the Danish King Arthur. Dragons, beasts, berserks, witches, war. What a great book!

Red Branch, by I have no idea who. Irish mythology. The main character is Cuchulain, a demigod.

Both books are very faithful to the myths, while fleshing them out very nicely. ______________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: other celtic...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Another fantasy work which is tinged with celtic mythology is the Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip. One of the best fantasy series then no one has ever heard of! <i></i>

Post subject: japanese mythology
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:37 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm reading a book of Japanese mythology right now, something that I know very little about. It's quite interesting, and I think I've found a link to one of the main characters in the Chronicles of Amber. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: japanese mythology
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:54 am 
Master Pilot

I've never read a single book on Japanese mythology. But I like some aspects of Japanese culture, so I'd like to. Plus, that game Mortal Kombat had the Japanese thunder god, Raiden. Since I'm such a fan of Thor, comic and mythological character, I'd love to read about Raiden. What book are you reading? ______________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:35 am 
Lady Scryer

It's actually the reprint of a book first published in 1913! It's called The Myths and Legends of Japan and the author is named F. Handland Davis. I got it on a whim from Amazon. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:15 am 
Master Pilot

I could never get into Japanese mythology. Picked up a couple of books from the library, returned them without reading more than a few chapters.

Raiden was cool as hell, tho... especially as played by Christopher Lambert (I don't need to point out that anything in the 2nd movie was crap... not saying the first movie was a screen gem or anything, but...). Speaking of, rent the B movie sci-fi flick of Beowulf with him in it. Great if you're a fan of the genre. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:02 am 
Lady Scryer

It did take me a long time to get through that book. So many of the stories in it centered around people dutifully committing suicide or mutilating themselves...I could only take it in little doses.
Like the legend of tea.
There was a Buddhist monk who was supposed to stay up all night for a prayer vigil. He fell asleep and was so upset with himself and his dereliction of duty that he cut off his eyelids and flung them to the ground. The eyelids, to mark his devotion to duty, became the first two tea plants, the caffeine in the tea helping other monks stay awake...
The myths that interested me the most were the really old ones about the original gods, such as the Sun Goddess, but they were just a tiny part of the book, many of the stories seemed to date to the Shogunate periods.
Some interesting bits did remind me of bits of the Amber Chonicles by Zelazny, which I recently read. For instance, both feature a fantastic underwater city where you can magically breathe air while visiting. And the Japanese myths have a wonder warrior named Benai, and the Amber ones a wonder warrior named Prince Benedict, though other than their fighting skills, their devotion to duty, and bachelordom they are rather unalike. Zelazny was so into world mythology that I find is quite possible that he was familiar with the Japanese myths while he was writing Amber. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: Mythological Music
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

I was wondering if anyone else has any mythological music?
Two albums I've run into recently:

Cusco-- Inner Journeys-Myth + Legends, which features music inspired by ancient Greek myths

Zingaia -- Beneath the Veil -- music inspired by ancient myths of middle eastern goddesses

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell