Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moska
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

The multi-layer Fravashi philophies of Moska, that we 1st learn of in Zindell's The Broken God, r hideiously complex. It is, kinda, designed 2 "unfold like the lotus flower" 2 challenge all ur beliefs, all belief systems and then take them, or that, 2 the next level. It is about cing a situation or concept from as many different angles as possible and reintegrating all those angles with beauty, logic and grace in2 an understandable whole and then "exploding" that whole. Buckminister Fuller, Alan Watts and Aldous Huxley have all said that "no individual views reality, or the universe, the same way". Well Moska would agree w/this and w/"creative visualization" and Zen approaches but would then say: Open ur mind further! How would x view this? What r the historical, social, psychological, etc, etc... factors that contributed 2 x's thesis? How would a totally disinterested 3rd party view this? How would an alien observer see the overall picture of it's cause and effect? What r the long and short term effects? And on and on...
"So, it's so.." Old Father, Danlo's Fravashi Master, would say. A Farvashi brain is divided in2 4 hemispheres that rotate tasks-so 1 may be independantly considering high, deep thought, 1 may b talking 2 u and understanding the feedback while another is processing information and addressing physical functions and the 4th is sleeping. So if u begin 2 c Farvashi worldviews and consider the Fravashi brain it casts a hilarious, ironic, aesthetic, loving, confontational light on the quote I put on the top of the pages "Before you are wise, after you are wise-in between you are otherwise". Needless 2 say Osho was an ancient Fravashi philosopher. It kinda brushes the side of a Zen koan, w/hints of Confusionism, Buddism, a loving Taoism and Pythonesque humor.
Indeed Moska takes the adjective eloquence of Shih, which poetically vocalizes the different "becoming" aspects of a thing and the multitude ways of cing the thing, and turns it in2 a philosopy--a decontructionist philosopy. Of course this is a VERY simplified way of looking @ Moska--but here's sorta an xample: The Fravishi Master (who would never agree he is a Master, or ever use the word "I") might say 2 u " take this clock and throw it off the roof, now reassemble in a completely different way, and it had better work!" all the while laughing 2 himself, then after u do it he may challenge u futher by saying, "what is the purpose of the clock? 2 tell time? There is no purpose in the purpose--tell me y?" Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/24/03 6:47:52 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Moska
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:08 am 
Master Pilot

I haven't wanted to respond here because I wanted to read the books first. Although I haven't read them yet, the good news is that the used copy of Neverness that I ordered came in the mail yesterday!!! Yippie!!! You convinced me a couple of weeks ago, with your post here and other comments you made, to make this series my next read. I'm a little ways from being able to discuss it seriously, but I'll get there! ______________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>