Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Waking Life
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:12 am 
Master Pilot

Strangely enough, I owned a copy (no idea where it went) of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig and could never get into it. Second most disappointing book I've ever picked up. The first was On the Road by Kerouac. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:53 am 
Master Pilot

Nothing close to 20 pages. But longer than any of those Fools Crow quotes, and I didn't know if it was getting to be too much already. But since you asked Quote:        A painter seats himself before his pupils. He examines his brush and slowly makes it ready for use, carefully rubs ink, straightens the long strip of paper that lies before him on the mat, and finally, after lapsing for a while into profound concentration, in which he sits like one inviolable, he produces with rapid, absolutely sure strokes a picture which, capable of no further correction and needing none, serves the class as a model.
        A flower master begins the lesson by cautiously untying the bast which holds together the flowers and sprays of blossom, and laying it to one side carefully rolled up. Then he inspects the sprays one by one, picks out the best after repeated examination, cautiously bends them into the form which exactly corresponds with the role they are to play, and finally places them together in an exquisite vase. The completed picture looks just as if the Master had guessed what Nature had glimpsed in dark dreams.
        In both these cases - and I must confine myself to them - the Masters behave as if they were alone. They hardly condescend to give their pupils a glance, still less a word. They carry out the preliminary movements musingly and composedly, they efface themselves in the process of shaping and creating, and to both the pupils and themselves it seems like a self-contained event from the first opening maneuvers to the completed work. And indeed the whole thing has such expressive power that it affects the beholder like a picture.
        But why doesn’t the teacher allow these preliminaries, unavoidable though they are, to be done by an experienced pupil? Does it lend wings to his visionary and plastic powers if he rubs the ink himself, if he unties the bast so elaborately instead of cutting it and carelessly throwing it away? And what impels him to repeat this process at every single lesson, and, with the same remorseless insistence, to make his pupils copy it without the least alteration? He sticks to this traditional custom because he knows from experience that the preparations for working put him simultaneously in the right frame of mind for creating. The meditative repose in which he performs them gives him that vital loosening and equability of all his powers, that collectedness and presence of mind, without which no right work can be done. Sunk without purpose in what he is doing, he is brought face to face with that moment when the work, hovering before him in ideal lines, realizes itself as if of its own accord. As with the steps and postures in archery, so here in modified form other preparations have the same meaning. And only where this does not apply, as for instance with religious dancers and actors, are the self-recollection and self-immersion practiced before they appear on the stage.
        As in the case of archery, there can be no question but that these arts are ceremonies. More clearly than the teacher could express it in words, they tell the pupil that the right frame of mind for the artist is only reached when the preparing and the creating, the technical and the artistic, the material and the spiritual, the project and the object, flow together without a break. And here he finds a new theme for emulation. He is now required to exercise perfect control over the various ways of concentration and self-effacement. Imitation, no longer applied to objective contents which anybody can copy with a little good will, becomes looser, nimbler, more spiritual. The pupil sees himself on the brink of new possibilities, but discovers at the same time that their realization does not depend in the slightest degree on his good will.I thoroughly enjoyed ZitAoA. IMO, it gave me the best view of Zen out of all the books I've read. It was also one of the first I read on the subject, so everything else I read sort of came through that filter. Which I think is a good thing. Fist and Faith<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:08 am 
Master Pilot

I believe u r right HD! I think we see Genaro lurking about in The Teaching of Don Juan: A Yaquii Way of Knowledge and we might b introduced 2 him so quick we don't really kno it. We don't c him as a character, per se, but he is already there in his own strange way. We r, finally, introduced 2 him in A Seperate Reality...and he truly blossoms in Journey to Ixtlan w/his antics during the trip and allusions 2 "warrior training" in other dimensions. "Impecability". He even takes Castenda under his wing breifly and, as ususal, scares the living crap o/o him. The females in these circles can sometimes b much stronger than the males which is consistant w/the Hispanic/Mexican folklore view of the female crow (animal embodiment of the "bruja") being much more dangerous 2 mess w/than the male ("brujo").

I have read both "Zen" books and enjoyed them in their own way...I have read that story b4 and, probably by having a completely undisciplined nature, learned alot from Pirsig. I read alot of Alan Watts books on Zen 2 start off with then branched out like crazy. (I love your 2nd quote from Fool Crow) I had heard something b4 about Fool Crow and had always meant 2 read him, now I def will!!! Black Elk is one of my all time heroes, along w/Sitting Bull, Two-Kettles, Crazy Horse, Chief Joseph and Geronimo.

I think we're talking about way 2 many warriors now! B4 u kno it this wild topic could even switch 2 Dan Milman! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/19/03 5:12:28 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:40 am 
Master Pilot

Oh no, not that! Heh, reminds me, I've been meaning to read the sequel to Way of the Peaceful Warrior for a while now.

Of course, I have much more of Illusions by Bach memorized than I do Peaceful Warrior. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:48 am 
Master Pilot

Heh. Well, he's not a shaman, but okay, my favorite Millman quote. (I've posted it before.)Quote:One time I finished my best-ever pommel horse routine and walked over happily to take the tape off my wrists. Soc beckoned me and said, "The routine looked satisfactory, but you did a very sloppy job taking the tape off. Remember, every-moment satori." And then there's:Quote:A fool is "happy" when his cravings are satisfied. A warrior is happy without reason.All in all, though, he didn't really do it for me. I'm with you, Syl - I much prefer Shimoda/Bach to Soc/Millman. Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>