Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shih
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Shih is a word of Moska that the old Fravashi Masters have adopted from the ancient Chinese of "Old Earth". Although it seems very similar 2 Moska (an overall differentiated and multi-layered discipline of seeing, considering and recontructing a multitude of "worldviews") it is merely the core, or starting block of Moska. In order 2 begin 2 understand Moska 1 must train themselves 2 "see" all things in the universe in different ways. Like the Japanese word "kaizen" (continual improvement) Shih is a flexible, descriptive way off seeing the negative in the positive, the act of becoming, a thousand related possibilities. It is a Zen-like state, "the now of now" the artist meditating on the blank canvas and envisioning the negative and postitive spaces in order 2 suddenly flash all his/her concepts on2 the white. Somewhat akin 2 Warrior-Poets xisting in the now and teetering on "The moment of the possible", but also taking in2 consideration the pregnancy of possibilties. Well I will stop now b4 this concept gets 2 confusing and leave u with this quote from the Broken God <b><i>Quote:</i></b> Without thought or hesitation Danlo replied, "Oh yes, she is radiant with shibui. She is...what I mean to say, shibui..." The words died in his mouth because he was suddenly excited and confused. He was speaking the Language! He was speaking words he had never heard before. Did he understand what he had said? Yes he <i> did</i> understand. Shibui was the subtle beauty of gray and brown moss on an old rock. And the taste of an old wine which recalled a ripening of grapes and the perfect balance of sun, wind and rain-that to was shibui. Drisana's face radiated -"radiate" was not quite the right word-her face revealed the grain of her character and her life's experiences as if it were a piece of ivory painstakingly and beautifully carved by time. Shih in the "Language" is like creating a word, or a small series of words, that succintly describe a complex consideration all possible concepts. <b><i>Quote:</i></b> Shih was the opposite of facts and raw information; shih was the elagance of knowledge, the insight and skill to organize knowledge into meaningful patterns. As an artist chooses colors of paint or light to make her pictures, so a master of shih chooses textures of knowledge-various ideas, myths, abstractions, and theories-to create a way of seeing the world. The aesthetics and beauty of knowledge-this was shih. How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Shih
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:26 pm 
Master Pilot

question?: could Haiku in anyway b related 2 Shih?: If worded the right way, surely...such as in 1 of my favorites:Quote:IN A STATION OF THE METRO

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

Ezra Pound
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>