Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Transhumanism
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:01 pm 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Humanity is still growing up. To varying degrees, depending on our culture and individual development, we still resist full self-ownership. Sometimes we think independently; other times we ignore the sovereignty of our own mind in favor of an easy deference to the minds of others. We claim to want individual freedom, yet we support political and economic systems characterized by coercion and centralization. We respond positively to the idea of personal responsibility, yet ignore it when it seems inconvenient or difficult. We affirm self-direction as a desirable, modern ideal, yet we often let ourselves drift, or yield direction to external forces. Excepting believers in original sin, we recognize the value of self-esteem, yet so many of us have too little of it. We pay verbal homage to the notion of respect for others, yet we often forget what this involves.

As our technology matures at an accelerating pace, we need to keep pace psychologically. If the gap between technological and psychological progress grows too large, we will face threats to our well-being. Becoming posthuman calls for a co-evolution of technology and human nature. Only when psychological maturity accompanies technological augmentation can we be assured that posthumans will survive and flourish as never before in the future world. By encouraging an extropic culture of self-ownership we will foster a vital aspect of posthumanity.

-Max MooreI have decided 2 start off the touchy, dangerous, controversial and exciting conversation of Transhumanism w/this quote from the conculsion of Max Moore's <i> Self-Ownership: A Core Transhuman Virtue</i>. This subject is as hideously complex as the philosophies Zindell offers in the Neverness series. Basically what i c as Transhumanism is incorporating the evolved benefits of everything man has learned and taking it 2 the next level, now and as we move in2 the future. We are, easily, seeing many thought modes, institutions and ways of living becoming simply outmoded and losing their effectiveness as we begin 2 make a "quantum leap" in2 the future, and thought evolution as the species Homo Sapien. What do we take with us? What do we discard? What r new ways of thought, relations 2 the environment, relations 2 each other, 2 God, government, science, technology etc...? What is self-ownership--what is self-responsibilty? What is collective responsibility? How do we treat our fellow man? What is dynamic optimism? Can we have freedom of choice in lieu of fear? Is fear conquerable? Can we face the future in a brave, happy and selffufilled light? Can we make the world a better place 4 our children? These r just a few of the questions the Transhumanist developement raises--and I would like 2 treat this discussion as philosophy--socio-economic-political philosophy--and keep it this way here--because when u abut the dangerous edges of Transhumanism such as questioning faith, dna manipulations and chemical brain enhancements it can get ugly and also 2 confusing 4 the "technically challenged" layperson. So let's try 2 leave those issues and all that backstabbing 2 the side. All u need 4 this discussion is and open mind, and optimistic attitude and excitement 4 the future (oh! and course DON'T 4get ur towel ). How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/30/02 11:00:34 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Transhumanism
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:09 am 
Master Pilot

well thats all very interesting .. but what is it really saying ..

transhuman = is that a term to denote human evolution from pre-human(ape/prehistoric neanderthal like beings) to human and then a lateral evolution into some adaptation of what we are now ..

post-human = is that like the new breed of human .. the one that will inherit the future world .. the world after the technological era?? or beyond it??

and all those questions are fundamental to how humans approach existence .. change and challenges .. crises .. humanity ..

Max makes a very powerful statement .. but really doesnt seem to explain what the premise of such thinking is founded on .. and there is no arguement evident to argue or discuss imo. I am very interested in hearing more .. and I apologise if my ignorance betrays me .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:06 am 
Master Pilot

The answer is yes 2 all of ur questions--remember this is his CONCLUSION perhaps his premise is found in the main body of the text which can b searched for by going 2 the Transhuman Resouces on the above link. There r TONS of essays and theories on Transhumanism from some of the most distinguished plilosophers and scientists of our time on that link. Arguements can b developed here, as well. How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Basic principles:<b><i>Quote:</i></b> 1. Transcend!
Strive to remove the evolved limits of our biological and intellectual inheritance, the physical limits of our environment, and the cultural and historical limits of society that constrain individual and collective progress.
2. Pragmatism.
Use whatever tools prove effective toward this goal. Technology, and the intellectual disciplines used to develop it, are currently among the most effective such tools.
3. Memetic propagation.
Support the proliferation of transhumanist principles and goals, consciously setting an example that others may follow or promoting the principles of transhumanism directly. Spread awareness of the dangers of technophobia, coercion, anti-humanism and other destructive ideologies.
4. Achievement.
Whether seeking health, fitness, intellectual goals, or financial or social success or political accomplishment, strive to achieve your individual ambitions. Cooperate with other innovators and optimists to reach goals both personal and global.
5. Diversity.
Promote human efforts to grow and adapt to an ever-changing universe. Tolerate people of all schools of thought that do not seek to limit the extent or variety of your achievement. Discourage any attempts to impose will or ideas through coercion.
6. Evolution.
These principles should evolve, in order to address the needs of future Transhumanity; but resist any change in the principles that limits transhuman activity.
How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/25/02 9:50:40 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:48 am 
Master Pilot

sound philosophical view point .. I concur with all these notions .. health and healing<i></i>