[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Black Jade, initial impressions

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Black Jade, initial impressions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:04 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject: Re: Black Jade, initial impressions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:56 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject: Re: Black Jade, initial impressions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:08 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow! Extreme spoiler alert!!! (especially for Fist [Highdrake]) The Brotherhood's school is totally amazing! Fist would be completely, madly in love with it! It's made me meditate and align my chakras--BOY DO I FEEL GREAT!!! Estrella is so amazing-as are the deeper histories of the Galadin, Ejilin, connections to other worlds-being in two worlds at once -the Iledra-to the vast ancient origin of the word Shaida. (I swear this series is going to find away to connect with the Neverness universe!) This is all just too damm cool!

I'm looking for a ferryman deep in strange Acadu, right now... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: black jade (spoilers)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:08 am 
Lady Scryer

I loved the Brotherhood's school!

And I suspected in the earlier Ea books that there must be some sort of connection with Neverness...after reading Black Jade I am positive of it!

I just wish that I could figure out what it is... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: black jade (spoilers)
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:51 pm 
Pilot

Well, I'm back again. I had to accept that the Black Jade mass market paperback wasn't going to get in my local bookstore, even though I had been able to get Lord of Lies before anyone else here. As their website didn't have the book either, I finally decided to personally write them and ask if the book might be obtained.

I got the book the day before yesterday and now I have read it. I must say the series is getting better and better. Yesterday (well, today) I stayed up until 4 a.m. reading Black Jade and had to force myself to stop, even though Val & friends were in a perilous situation. But then I had been reading for hours for "just one more chapter".

I think the pacing has definitely improved. This time I was glued to the book nearly all the time. I think the increased darkness has been good for the series. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:01 pm 
Pilot

It looks like I have been personally responsible for bringing the mass market Black Jade into Finnish bookstores! Yesterday I saw two copies at my local bookstore, the one which didn't use to even have Black Jade on their list for special ordering even though the book had been out for months.

Probably the succession of events was:
1. The trade paperback doesn't sell for reasons including price and excessive bulk
2. The mass market pb doesn't get ordered
3. I beg to buy the mass market edition
4. They figure that if somebody REALLY REALLY wants to buy it, several someones are somewhat interested in buying it too
5. They order more than my single copy (or at the very least have the Black Jade mmpb listed in their net store), and some people buy them
6. The smaller branch stores outside the capital get sent some copies to sell too, and I make my discovery in one of them <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:45 pm 
Master Pilot

Very cool! Great to see you again m'lady! I'll need to look at the book again so we can have a little more discussion here--what was the name of the northern tribe that offshot from the Valari eons ago?--I'm sure we'll see them again in The Diamond Warriors. (Yea your first post as Master Pilot! Looks damm good on you! ) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/25/06 12:43 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Nerdanel - that is a cool story. Sounds like you might be the key to bringing the book to your area of the country?

Over here in the States, Lightstone has very recently been released, and only in hardcover thus far. We Zindell fans have had to order our books from Europe!

I agree that there was a great story flow in Black Jade. I also had to fight with myself to put the book down to be able to get a bit of sleep! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>