Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Requiem and EA linking
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:04 pm 
Pilot

So... I had a feeling about these two series linking up.
I just finsihed book tow of the light stone (silver sword)
and was gettinge excited as there were many references to star people, the Ieldra and even that beautiful bird riddle...

After reading that awesome Zindell interview it seems that he doesn't plan to do this as yet (althought the interview was just after the first book)

But... I have just bought the Lord of Lies and on the inside cover where it states other books by zindell it reads:

Neverness

Requiem for Homo Sapiens:
The Broken God
The Wild
War in Heaven
The Lightstone

Which means the lightstone is part of the requiem.

So explain this huh!

What are people's thoughts...

By the way, suggestion for the forum admin: The background is cool but it's really difficult to read the writing.

That is all

Cam <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Requiem and EA linking
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Well it seems odd and difficult to answer your question. My first instinct would be to say that it's a publishing error and leave it at that. From what I've heard the Ieldra are mentioned and that these worlds may be found elsewhere in the "Neverness universe". I've also heard of certain character's resemblances to Danlo and Bardo...

SPOILERS!!!

Supposedly A Requiem for Homo Sapiens was written by the Timekeeper and Lord Horologe, Horthy Hosthoh. But this is confusing in itself as he dies fairly early on...or as a matter of fact he dies at the end of Neverness. Either he had amazing scrying powers and wrote fluently of the future or part of him was incorporated into the Solid State Entity, long ago, in scribe form or Mallory is existing somewhere using him as a pen name. Therefore any inclusion of the Lightstone world or dimension would be based on incredible manipulation of both time and space.

In an attempt to clear up these matters for myself I have finally broken down and ordered The Lightstone off Amazon.uk. It's so sad that even though I live one state away from Mr. Zindell that I have to buy the book in (for more on that and how Bantam/Spectra shafted DZ go 2 "This is Why No 1 Knows about Neverness" thread) Well since I do moderate this forum I had better learn my EA cycle quickly! With Voyager now involved and some strange ordering houses still thinking the second book is called The Red Dragon and actually exists under that title, and the split publications that you have in different countries it's bound that one of these publishers, or versions, would get information wrong.

Cam, I love this background this is the cover of the first copy of Neverness I ever saw and it convinced me to automatically buy it, without even browsing. I'd love to hear suggestions on what color lettering might improve readability in this forum. I have tried all sorts of things over the past 2 years to make it readable (without putting a board behind it) I even used the background you can see in The Farsider's Quarter. If you all think we need a message board I will bow to popular opinion, if you can think of other ideas please feel free to speak up!

Welcome to the Hangar Cam!!!! How far do you fall Pilot? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/26/04 9:03 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Requiem and EA linking
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:18 am 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I agree with Danlo, that looks like an error to me. Which isn't to say there's no relationship between the Neverness universe and the EA cycle, but from what I've read about it, Lightstone should definitely not be a part of the Requiem.

In fact, it's always kind of bothered me that Neverness gets separated out from the other three (Danlo) books. It'd be a shame if someone who loved the Requiem never bothered to read Neverness (though I guess the name "Neverness" is mentioned enough times that people would figure it's related). "Shanidar", Neverness, and the Requiem books should always be grouped together as far as I'm concerned. ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i></i>