Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nick Gevers' Infinityplus Interview, Part 1 Neverness saga
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:28 pm 
Master Pilot

In this interview the great South African reviewer and interviewer, Nick Gevers, discusses the Neverness tetralogy with David Zindell and the begining of the Lightstone series. This is part 1, the Neverness/Requiem for Homo Sapiens section.

David Zindell is one of America's most ambitious SF and Fantasy writers. His cogent poeticism and cosmic concerns are embodied in long, extravagantly inventive, and philosophically penetrating novels; his imagined universes are sublimely conceived arenas for vast spiritual and intellectual combats between the Dark and the Light. Rigorously mystical, and mystically rigorous, Zindell describes external quests with elaborate inner resonances and ramifications; his are amongst the most thematically acute adventure narratives to be found in contemporary speculative fiction.

Zindell's first great epic had its roots in an early short story, "Shanidar" (1985; available elsewhere on this site). This tale's city of Neverness, a meeting place for the cultures of a luxuriantly evoked and exotically populous far-future human-dominated Milky Way Galaxy, evolved into the setting for Neverness (1988), an impressive first novel. The narrator, Mallory Ringess, progressed from a pilot's training to literal godhood; and, secluded in divinity, he went on to tell the story of his modest but messianic son, Danlo, in the voluminous trilogy A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, consisting of The Broken God (1993), The Wild (1995), and War In Heaven (1998). Danlo is a paragon of spiritual evolution, and, in battling his blood brother and terrible foe Hanuman li Tosh, he carries with him into hopeful but understated transcendence not only Mallory's concupiscent friend, Bardo, but Neverness's resident Order of Mystic Mathematicians and probably the entire human universe as well.

THE INTERVIEW
NG: All of your books are, conspicuously, epics -- long, heroic in plot and diction, full of grand confrontation and even grander aspiration. Your new novel, The Lightstone, is an enormous saga in its own right, yet it is only the first volume in a quartet. What predisposes you to the epic form?

DZ: I keep trying to cram as much of the world as I can into my work, to look at it in detail and to examine it under extraordinary pressure, and for these purposes, the epic is ideal. And as you imply, epics allow for, and practically demand, heroics, grand confrontations and grander aspirations -- all matters which are my main personal and literary concerns. I view life, if lived rightly, as essentially being heroic. Now, we live in an age where even sports superstars are called "heroes," but that is a degrading of the word. Such people do accomplish the extraordinary against great odds -- but they do it primarily for fame, money and vainglory, and sometimes, the best motive, I think, to fulfill a sense of excellence within themselves. They make sacrifices, true, but in the end for themselves. Real heroes are willing to sacrifice a great deal -- ultimately their very lives -- for love of something greater than themselves: whether a mother who literally gives of her body and the precious hours of her life for her child or a warrior who dies defending his homeland.

We're all selfish creatures, of course, and it's all too easy to fall into the evil of the war of all against all. But we're also something much more, and our deepest motivation is toward the realisation of this higher self and greater good. So I believe that the literature that moves us the most deeply is the heroic, because it shows us our best possibilities as well as stirring up a great thrill of fear of bringing forth the darkness that is also inside us. It makes us aware of the tremendous purpose and meaning of life -- and that life really is being lived for great stakes. Even those caught in existential crisis, cynicism, grinding poverty and despair must sense, in their hearts, that we are all involved in a great drama for the fate of the earth.

The confrontations of epic fantasy only mirror the very great and very real confrontations occurring all around us. Will we finally have the nuclear war that has been threatening for nearly sixty years? Will we surrender to the tyranny of our corporate masters who spend vast sums of money to buy politicians and destroy democracy -- thus destroying the will of the people to act together and face the great crises of our times? George W. Bush recently suggested that any action to forestall global warming is "unrealistic." Unrealistic? It's as if Sauron and his orcs were at the gates, and the merchant-rulers inside were trying to figure out how to squeeze out more profit from their slaves for a few more hours. Make no mistake, this is true evil, in its modern form. And it must be defeated, even as Hitler and his murderers were defeated. If it's not, we'll call forth a nightmare here on earth rather than realising our deepest dreams. But finding the heroic within ourselves to oppose such evil is a terrifying task, at least for me. So in the end I write these big, heroic epics to give myself courage and hope, and to remind myself that we really are creators of both our hells and our heavens. And, of course, I write in hope of passing the torch on to others, as it was passed to me upon reading The Odyssey, Parzival and the Mahabharata, to say nothing of The Lord of the Rings.

NG: Your writing is consistently poetic, in a decidedly romantic and visionary way. How did your highly distinctive prose style come about?

DZ: I think that any author's style develops as a solution to the fundamental literary problem: how to say what one wishes to say in the truest and most effective way? Much of what I wish to say has to do with our deepest aspirations and longing for a deeper experience of life. This requires looking beneath the surfaces of the phenomenal world to the deeper reality that lies within. But how does one do this, through the lens of mere words? I've often thought that literature is the most difficult of the arts through which to convey a sense of the transcendent. Both music and painting, for example, open one to more immediate apprehensions of the Good, the Beautiful and the True. All that I have, however, as a writer, is words. Which ones should I choose? If my prose tends toward the poetic, it's because I'm continually trying to make extensions from this world to the realm that lies beneath and beyond it; in the end, I hope to convey a sense of the interconnectedness, and even identity, of all things. The language of poetry, with its metaphors and similes, is precisely that which connects: ideas to objects, images to emotions, and in some small way, outer events to great, blazing, inner realisations.

NG: In line with what you've just said: from Neverness onwards, you've evoked, in immense and exceptionally vivid detail, contemplative states of mind -- meditative disciplines, openings of portals on to the infinite without and within. What Eastern traditions have you most specifically drawn upon in this? Do your protagonists, in particular Danlo Peacewise and Valashu Elahad, function as exemplars of your own philosophical and spiritual beliefs?

DZ: Ramana Maharshi, as the great, modern light of Advaita Vedanta, has been a huge personal influence. But strangely, he mostly eschewed the more traditional meditative traditions that have a prominent place in my novels for the more simple and pure practice of what he called Self-inquiry. This is basically the process of asking, "Who am I?" and then discovering that the "I" who asks this question is ultimately a deeper self that is pure consciousness -- the same consciousness that is the source and essence of all things and their true reality. Strangely, too, I was led to Ramana Maharshi and the eastern traditions in general through two very Western authors: Somerset Maugham and Hermann Hesse. Maugham's The Razor's Edge had much inspiration in Ramana Maharshi; Hesse, I think, looked to the East as much as he did to the contemplative traditions closer to home, such as those of Meister Eckhart and Saint Teresa of Avila. But he was quite capable of synthesising all that he knew into the highly original and amazing The Glass Bead Game. Certainly the Order of the Neverness novels takes more from Hesse's Castalia than it does the forest academies or ashrams of India.

As for a general theory undergirding my books, which essentially explore the connection between mysticism and evolution: Plotinus' Great Chain of Being, and its modern elaboration through Aurobindo and Ken Wilber, has been key. I've also drawn upon such mavericks as Timothy Leary: what is the remembrancer's drug of Requiem, after all, if not a very powerful and very specific psychedelic? All of this, of course, has in some way been an influence on both Danlo and Valashu. They are exemplars of my spiritual beliefs in the sense that they both set out on heroic journeys in order to gain a higher and deeper level of being for the sake of the worlds in which they live. But even more, they are sharers of the great and defining mystical experiences of my life. In the end, it's not my beliefs that I would wish to convey to my readers but simply the incredible possibilities of life lived to its infinite depths, in all its terrible and beautiful glory.

NG: In the Neverness cycle, you convey, even to people of an entirely non-mathematical bent, the ecstasy of numbers -- "the number storm", the pure joy of the theorem. What role has your training as a mathematician played in your creative development and technique?

DZ: It was my mathematical development, as much as the mystical, that first alerted me to the existence of another world. Now, I wouldn't say that mathematics has the same degree of intense reality as the world as perceived through the eye of meditation or Self-inquiry, but it is its own fantastic construction, existing in the Platonic realm of the Ideal. To understand very much of it, and even to perceive it, requires the continual opening of the eye of Reason, which we all possess. Few people, though, care to accomplish this opening process, because learning mathematics is a lot of very hard work. So it's almost impossible for most people to appreciate that mathematics can be so strangely and breathtakingly beautiful. When I began writing Neverness, I realized that in order to show the pilots of the Order as having their beings steeped in the strangeness of this otherworld, I was going to have to call upon, and try to convey, this secret beauty. It was a daunting task, to say the least. It was the first time that I intensely employed a poetic language, with all its metaphors, to try to describe something that is very nearly ineffable. This, of course, led me to think that I might possibly attempt the description of the more transcendent mystical apprehensions, which many believe really are ineffable.

NG: In the Neverness quartet, what motivated your move from Mallory Ringess to his son Danlo as principal character (even though Mallory remains the narrator)? Why your shift from a complicated, conflicted hero to a saint, a superhuman paragon?

DZ: At the end of Neverness, Mallory Ringess undergoes an apotheosis, so I felt that his development and usefulness as a character, especially as a protagonist, were finished. There is simply not that much that can be done with a man who has transcended his all-too-human foibles, to say nothing of shuffling off his mortal coil, so to speak. And, to be truthful, when I began writing Neverness and for some time after, I had no intention of writing a sequel. But then it occurred to me that there was another story -- and a very large story at that -- as to what happens in the Neverness universe after Mallory attains to the godly. I never state explicitly the nature of his transcendence, but it's quite clear that with all these nano-computers replacing parts of his brain, he is becoming something more than human in form and possibly in function. But I was never quite at ease with that as a model for human possibilities; in fact, it repulses me -- as do parts of Mallory himself. And so one day it suddenly came to me that I could write the story of his son, who experiences an even greater transcendence -- the greatest that I could imagine -- all the while retaining his humanity in the perfect immanence of his human form. So it was only natural that Danlo should wind up being very different from his father. To be blunt, Mallory was simply not worthy of Danlo's marvellous fate; it really was necessary, I think, for Danlo to be something of a saint to achieve what he did.

NG: When I read War In Heaven, I felt that you had perhaps lost some of your interest in the huge, space-operatic struggle in the background, not for example bringing the subplot regarding Bertram Jaspari and his genocidal Iviomils to a very resounding or detailed conclusion. Instead, you concentrated on Danlo's maturation through icy ordeals in and around Neverness. This is your preferred emphasis, isn't it -- not external detail (although you do that very well too), but the extremity and intimacy of a character's inner growth?

DZ: Well, I'm embarrassed to say that you've uncovered an essential flaw in the way that A Requiem For Homo Sapiens was structured. I tried to do at least two very ambitious things with the trilogy that as far as I knew had never been attempted. The first was to write three novels, each of a different type and feel. The Broken God was to be somewhat of a Bildungsroman: the story of Danlo's coming of age and education. The Wild was to be a quest novel, while War In Heaven was to be the great war story. The second thing I did was to have a semi-divine Mallory narrate the whole shebang; I hoped that this would give new meaning to the term "limited omniscient point of view." Although Mallory, as a god, had a great knowledge of events occurring in the universe, he had full sight into the mind and soul of Danlo, and no one else. So as Mallory's voice fades into the background, the whole story, except at a few, very key moments, essentially devolves into being told in third person from Danlo's point of view. This works much better in the first two books than in the third. In that book, Danlo, as an ambassador for peace who has taken a vow of ahimsa, is pretty much taken out of action in the great battles of the war. I was therefore reduced to having to describe these offstage, as it were. And so it wasn't so much that I lost interest in these space-operatic struggles as it was impossible to make them immediate through Danlo's struggles. Ideally, a character's inner conflicts and realisations should be reflected and resolved in outward actions as dramatically as possible. To accomplish this in War In Heaven, I had to choose that part of the war -- mostly Danlo's battle with Hanuman -- that occurred in and around the city of Neverness. And so that meant, to some extent, abandoning Bertram Jaspari and his insane Iviomils.

NG: Would it be accurate to say that a good deal of the thematic burden of the Neverness novels, especially The Wild and War in Heaven, is the necessity that we prefer our actual, physical environment over virtual realities, no matter how beguiling?

DZ: I would say that is exactly true. And more, I would say that the so-called virtual realities are misnamed: they should be called something like "simulated experiences." Because they aren't real, and can never be so, any more than a map can be the territory. And more, for the same reason that a map is necessarily less detailed than the territory that it describes, a virtual reality can only ever be a pale shadow of the real thing. Such constructs might prove amusing, or even useful and illuminating, but how could they ever take the place of the essential reality that they represent?

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/23/04 10:26 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Nick Gever's Infinityplus Interview, Part 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:36 am 
Master Pilot

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! That's exactly as I would hope an interview with him would go!!

And more!! Hesse... Glass Bead Game... I'm pretty much having a heart attack here!!!! (It's a family board, or I'd say something else! ) ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Nick Gever's Infinityplus Interview, Part 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:50 am 
Master Pilot

I had a feeling you might like this!
(did you know that DZ was almost an atheist? It was childish wonder and the brilliant expansion the universal thought that forced him to chose, almost, otherwise) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/22/04 8:54 pm
</i>