The Wild--!!!Spoilers!!!

Exploring the work of David Zindell: Neverness, The Broken God, The Wild, War in Heaven and his epic fantasy saga-The Ea Cycle-The Lightstone, Lord of Lies, Black Jade, The Diamond Warriors. David sells Ea rights to Warner Bros.! Read Shanidar the short story that inspired Neverness online!

Moderator: danlo

Re: The Wild--!!!Spoilers!!!

Postby Highdrake » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:50 pm

My favorite quote so far:Quote:In every man and woman there are three phases of life more descriptive of the soul's inner journey than are childhood, maturity, and old age: It can't happen to me, I can overcome it, I accept it.

And I LOVE learning Alaloi words!
eesha-kaleth - the coldness before snow (I love that, when you just know snow is coming soon!)
animajii - wild joy, life's overflowing delight in itself ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>
Highdrake
Master Pilot

Postby Highdrake » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:42 pm

Damn it!! Does Tam have to be naked so often??? It's making me crazy!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>
Highdrake
Master Pilot

Postby danlo60 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:45 pm

It's a good thing! (I'd consult Erin, if the condition persists...) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>
danlo60
Master Pilot

Postby Highdrake » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:00 pm

I love when Danlo meets the Transcendentalists, and they can't read his mind. Too cool!! Hanuman apparently taught him some valuable things. ____________
Highdrake
Master Pilot

Postby danlo60 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:33 pm

Yes in deed! OOO I'm mad at ranofwithgypsies! She swore she was going 2 mail me my copy of The Wild 3 weeks ago!:"> *****
danlo60
Master Pilot

Postby Highdrake » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:38 am

Quote:Proprioception was the way the body sensed its own internal stimuli, the firing of nerves, the movement of its cells, the deep feeling of its own reality. In many ways it was the very sense of the self, the deeply physical self of blood and bones which lay far below the awareness of the mind. Of all the senses, it was the most difficult to confuse.Never heard of this! How cool!! ____________
Highdrake
Master Pilot

reading on...

Postby pitchwife » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:51 pm

I'm reading about Danlo's meeting with the Sani, and all the time I'm thinking: tell them that thier misery is over, that thier god is dead, go ahead tell them. But then comes Danlo's answer and I respected him so much for it (as if he wasn't already too perfect...)
Quote:"The Sani's God is dead," Ede said bitterly. "That is the truth."
Danlo shook his head. "No, their God is still alive. For them, marvelously and beautifully alive."
"I should tell them how the Silicon God murdered me."
"If you told them this, they wouldn't believe you. And if they did believe you, it would leave a hole in their soul."
"And through this hole would enter logic and reason."
"No, only madness would enter. When people believe nothing ... they will do anything."

And here's another quote I liked
Quote:"I am only speaking of the now-moment. It is when the door opens. When nowness becomes thenness, and the future is always and now. When one chooses yes or no, which future will be. When there is nothing in the universe except one's will; to act or not to act, to see, to know, to move the universe. There is always this moment, yes?"
I just love the way he says "yes"
This paragraph made so much sense t me, I was just talking with someone the other day about whether a person controls their destiny or just flows along a predefined river, and Danlo's words made so much sense to me.

-pitch <i></i>
pitchwife
Pilot

Re: reading on...

Postby Highdrake » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:42 pm

Hey pitch! Haven't seen you much lately. Isn't this stuff great??

If you're interested, I started a thread about the now-moment down in Fravashi some months ago: pub189.ezboard.com/fahira...D=28.topic ____________
Highdrake
Master Pilot

Re: Reading on...

Postby pitchwife » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:18 am

Yes! Yes!
Zindell is a master.
I'll check out that thread you mentioned.
-pitch

BTW, why don't I get notified when someone posts to this thread? <i></i>
pitchwife
Pilot

Re: Reading on...

Postby danlo60 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:23 pm

I take it u clicked the function that says, Notify me 2 replies 2 my posts? *****
danlo60
Master Pilot

The light offering

Postby pitchwife » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:37 pm

Wow!
I'm speachless.
What a trip it must have been for Danlo.
Most of all I connected with his resolution:
"Knowing this, Danlo suddenly realized that he could move himself. His selfness, he saw, consisted of more than the fireing of his neurons, and his consciousness was much more than the patterns or programs of his brain."

-pitch <i></i>
pitchwife
Pilot

Re: The light offering

Postby danlo60 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:50 am

Quote:Over the next few years, Ede's eternal computer - Ede himself, as God - rapidly continued his ontogenesis toward the infinite. Many times, Ede copied and recopied his expanding consciousness into a succession of larger and more sophisticated computers which he himself designed and assembled, and then into whole arrays of robots and computers of various functions (Where Ede-as-man had been a master of computational origami, Ede the God perfected this art of interconnecting and 'folding' together many computer units so that they functioned as an integrated whole.) One day, it came time for Ede to leave Alumit and go out in the universe. He ascended to heaven, into the deep space above the planet that could no longer be his home. Using his power as a god, with the help of tiny, self-replicating robots the size of a bacterium, he disassembled asteroids, comets and other heavenly debris into their elements; he used these elements to fabricate new circuitry and neurologics. He feasted on the elements of material reality, and he grew. According to the Doctrine of the Halting which Kostos Olorun hastily formulated to prevent other architects from following his path, Ede the God was destined to grow until he had absorbed the entire universe *****
danlo60
Master Pilot

Postby Cambo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Just finished The Wild. I loved every word of it. So. Much. In. This. Book.

I particularly loved how Danlo interacted with all the entities and people he encountered on his journies. A favourite moment was the climax of his testing by the Sani- how he deliberately brought the choice the Elder had to make into the open, improvised symbolic representation of that choice in the apple and the knife, and then simply left the old, hateful, beautiful man to choose whether to kill him or not. Zindell's characters are so deep, and Danlo is his best creation. :D
We can ignite our minds with light
Cambo
Pilot

Previous

Return to Falling to Neverness