[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Duchess's Favorite Jazz Albums

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Duchess's Favorite Jazz Albums
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:39 am 
Lady Scryer

I do not claim that these are groundbreaking, earth shattering, or particularly influential. But these are the ones I keep coming back to again and again:

1. Ella Fitzgerald and Louie Armstrong
Best of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
Two great legends performing together at their best. What could ever be better? I've been in love with Ella's voice for years, and its fun hearing Louis use his voice like he would his trumpet!

2. Maceo Parker
Life on Planet Groove
Just flat out fun and funky.

3. Steve Turre
T-N-T
first rate jazz featuring the mellow sound of the trombone rather than the searing trumprt

4. Chris Botti
When I Fall in Love
lush, romantic, and beautiful -- perfect for serious cuddling in front of a fire place and other such activities

5. Dave Brubeck
Jazz Impressions of Eurasia
Dave Brubeck toured the world in the aftermath of WW2 as an American good will ambassador...this album, featuring a variety of rythyms and sounds from mnay different cultures, all mixed lovingly with jazz is the lasting result

6. John Coltrane
A Love Supreme
a jazz symphony, revolving around loving God, in four movements -- the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra also has a first rate recording of this piece

7. Dave Brubeck
Jazz Impression of Japan
beautiful music mixing the sounds of American jazz with traditional Japanese music

8. Sarah Vaughan
The Essential Sarah Vaughan
one of most beautiful and moving voices in jazz at her best

9. the Rippingtons
Topaz
jazz with a Southwestern feel, reminds me of good times with good people at Elohimfest

10. Lena Horne
Greatest Hits
another of the Great Ladies, her best songs and her lovely voice

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Duchess's Favorite Jazz Albums
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:09 am 
Master Pilot

(cut and pasted from the Watch, but always applicable )

Touch- John Klemmer (very mellow tenor sax)
Extrapolation- John McGlaughlin (guitar)
Festival- Lee Ritenour (guitar)
Enigmatic Ocean- Jean Luc Ponty (violin, or he might say fiddle)
Stetches of Spain- Miles Davis (trumpet)
My Favorite Things- John Coltrane (sax)
Wizard's Island- The Jeff Lorber Fusion
Stanley Clarke- Stanley Clarke (bass)
Don't Mess with Mr. T- Stanley Turrentine (sax)
Winelight- Grover Washington Jr. (guitar)

and anything by:
Return to Forever
Gato Barbieri (sax)
The Brecker Bros.
Thelonius Monk (piano)
The Dixie Dregs
and the "Velvet Fog": Mel Torme
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 pm 
Lady Scryer

The amazement begins when you open up the CD jewel case. There is a reproduction of the playbill for a concert:

Friday Evening November 29

8:30PM and Midnight

At Carnegie Hall for the Morningside Community Center

Thanksgiving Jazz

Miss Billie Holliday

Dizzy Gillespie with orchestra with Austin Cromer

Special Attraction: Ray Charles

Chet Baker with Zoot Sims Quartet

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane

Introducing in Concert the brilliant Sonny Rollins

The tickets were only $2, $3, $3.50, and $3.95 and were tax exempt because the concert was a benefit for charity!

In 1957, the great Johnny Coltrane was fired from the Miles Davis quintet because of his substance abuse problems. In response to that, he fought and managed to win his way free from the twin demons of alcohol and heroin addiction -- in fact, he went cold turkey. He was given another chance by the great jazz pianist Thelonious Monk. In the few months that he worked in Monk's quartet during that year, Coltrane had to learn how to play Monk's challenging music with Monk. He got lessons from the master -- dropping by Monk's house first thing in the morning, dragging him out to the piano still in his pajamas, and then playing the same chords, phrases, and songs over and over together in many different styles. Coltrane learned how to fly via the power and passion of his own music, and through his new-found love for God. It was to be the turning point of both his life and his music.

The music itself was long considered to be lost -- until earlier this year when someone found the tape of a charity concert where Monk and Coltrane performed in a quartet together in an unmarked box at the Library of Congress. It was immediately recognized for being a priceless treasure, and over the next few months it was prepared for release as a CD.

The result is breathtaking. Monk, playing on the concert grand at Carnegie Hall, gave a performance filled with fire and joy. He and Coltrane traded off solos and pushed each other into the stratosphere. And in Coltrane, you hear a man who has found his way to freedom - a man who has learnt that no matter how much you might have previously messed up your life -- you can still come back from any sort of hell and learn how to soar across the sky to the music of the angels.

The sheer joy and energy and exuberance of this music made me cry the first time I listened to it earlier this week.

Believe any and all hype you might hear from your jazz fan friends. This is the real deal. Do yourself a favor and listen to Johnny Coltrane learning how to fly.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Drummer's timing right for 'Love Supreme'
Detroit native Ali Jackson joins Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra on Sunday at Hill

Saturday, January 21, 2006
BY WILL STEWART
Ann Arbor News Special Writer

For Ali Jackson, performing "A Love Supreme'' with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra hits home on so many levels, he sometimes wonders whether he was destined to play this particular piece with this particular band.

"I was born into playing music and I sometimes think that this was just meant to be,'' the 28-year-old Detroit native said during a telephone conversation between rehearsals for the big band's performance of John Coltrane's classic suite at Hill Auditorium on Sunday.

"I feel as if I've been groomed for this job.''

Indeed, Jackson's godfather was the late drummer and fellow Detroit native Elvin Jones, who along with bassist Jimmy Garrison and pianist McCoy Tyner anchored the quartet that Coltrane used to record "A Love Supreme'' in 1965.

"Later in Elvin's life, I spent as much time with him as I could,'' Jackson said of Jones, who died last year. "He taught me a lot about music, but he also taught me a lot about life, since to us music is life.''

Jackson moved to New York in 1993 after graduating from Cass Technological High School and attended the New School to study music. Soon, he was out on tour with first-tier jazz artists, including Dee Dee Bridgewater and Milt Hinton, and he did a stint with Wynton Marsalis, who also is the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra's director.

So when the drummer's seat opened up in the orchestra, Jackson - already feeling like he was groomed for the job - was eager to step in.

"It can be intimidating to play with such an incredible group of musicians,'' he said. "But you have to feel like you were selected because you are able to bring something and add something to the music.

"I'd known Wynton since I was a kid and he knew my playing and he felt like I was ready.''

For its rendition of "A Love Supreme,'' Marsalis - who will play trumpet during the orchestra's Ann Arbor appearance - arranged the quartet's spacious, languid original version with tight, layered charts that add a big-band feel without losing the essence of the original's deeply spiritual template.

"Wynton's arrangement has a lot of power,'' Jackson said. "When you hear the same voicings of the original being played through this big band, it can really take your breath away.''

Last year, before Jackson joined, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra recorded its arrangement of the piece, which was released on Palmetto Records. The group's Hill Auditorium performance is one of only two it will perform of the piece this season, marking it as an "event'' in jazz circles and a coup for the University Musical Society, which is sponsoring the show.

"To say that you can never compare to the original is an understatement, but the whole ensemble is on the same page in interpreting the music and expanding on its themes,'' Jackson said. "Everyone really beings it home.''

"A Love Supreme'' entered the jazz canon immediately upon its release in 1965, after being recorded in a single night with the quartet the saxophonist had been working with the previous three years. Divided into four movements - Acknowledgement, Resolution, Pursuance and Psalm - it was Coltrane's meditative exploration of love and spirituality.

Forty years later, Jackson said, it's lost none of the power and beauty that marked it as an instant classic.

"It's so heavy that we have to rehearse it in sections,'' he said. "It really takes a spiritual calm to deal with a piece with such an emotional connection.

"But there's rehearsal and then there's playing,'' he said. "When we're playing, that's when you can feel the music and find your voice really let all that emotion out.''

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:41 am 
Lady Scryer

here we go! :)

Image Image Image